E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > anything special for black leather + autogeek

05-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

anything special for black leather + autogeek

Firstly, is autogeek.com a reliable and good source for car cleaning products?

And, I have black leather in my E90... is there any special cleaner for black leather? ... does black leather need any special treatment? I know I need to get both leather cleaner and conditioner.

I have been using standard turtlewax leather cleaner with OK results...but I am planning on ordering a grid-guard wash bucket off autogeek.com (if its a good site) and might as well buy some other cleaning products for my summer cleaning/waxing.

http://www.autogeek.net/bucket-with-...FS8V7AodMh0Atw

EDIT: Bonus points for suggestion for the best (or one of the best) exterior soap/wax for a JET BLACK car... I know jet black is a nightmare and is a super soft paint.
      05-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Yes Autogeek is reliable, Mike Phillips also works for them

Quote:
And, I have black leather in my E90... is there any special cleaner for black leather? ... does black leather need any special treatment? I know I need to get both leather cleaner and conditioner.
You don't need a leather conditioner, they're pointless on modern leather.

I use Gliptone Leather Cleaner and then protect with Gtechniq L1.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH-01 View Post
Yes Autogeek is reliable, Mike Phillips also works for them

You don't need a leather conditioner, they're pointless on modern leather.

I use Gliptone Leather Cleaner and then protect with Gtechniq L1.
You know, I've heard others say conditioner is worthless as well... Something about the coatings they put on leather and how it doesn't actually touch the leather or something?

Is this mike guy a member on here? If so hope he sees this... I want to order some stuff from them if a good site... Looks legit.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 05-16-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:

I have been using standard turtlewax leather cleaner with OK results...but I am planning on ordering a grid-guard wash bucket off autogeek.com (if its a good site) and might as well buy some other cleaning products for my summer cleaning/waxing.

http://www.autogeek.net/bucket-with-...FS8V7AodMh0Atw

EDIT: Bonus points for suggestion for the best (or one of the best) exterior soap/wax for a JET BLACK car... I know jet black is a nightmare and is a super soft paint.

Well as a fellow Jet Black owner (and detailer) let me help you out.

As for your leather I personally use Lexol Leather cleaner, and then SmartCare Leather Conditioner. Lexol really cleans well especially when used with a scrubbing brush wrapped in a microfiber.

There really isnt a best soap, I just try to avoid all of those "Wash and Wax" all in one soaps. I like Meguiars gold class but Adams if I want to do foaming.

As for good waxes I've spend a lot of time on this one; my main conclusion is that CLEANER WAXES ARENT GOOD FOR JET BLACK. I find that most cleaner waxes I use leave micro-swriling and marring so I recommend any good Carnauba wax that isn't mixed with a cleaner.

Also auto geek is on of the best detailing supply shops and forums out there. They frequently run 10-15% off sales and the forums there are amazing.
      05-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
Well as a fellow Jet Black owner (and detailer) let me help you out.

As for your leather I personally use Lexol Leather cleaner, and then SmartCare Leather Conditioner. Lexol really cleans well especially when used with a scrubbing brush wrapped in a microfiber.

There really isnt a best soap, I just try to avoid all of those "Wash and Wax" all in one soaps. I like Meguiars gold class but Adams if I want to do foaming.

As for good waxes I've spend a lot of time on this one; my main conclusion is that CLEANER WAXES ARENT GOOD FOR JET BLACK. I find that most cleaner waxes I use leave micro-swriling and marring so I recommend any good Carnauba wax that isn't mixed with a cleaner.

Also auto geek is on of the best detailing supply shops and forums out there. They frequently run 10-15% off sales and the forums there are amazing.

Great info thanks.

I have heard Lexol leather cleaner is really oily... I haven't used it yet but have heard reviews both good and bad.

I have also read that carnauba wax is "better"... (not just for jet black cars either) I guess I just need to find a good brand... I am sure there are many decent ones out there.

Since Autogeek is getting good feedback, perhaps ill create an account over there and do some research. I have been mis-treating my car and haven't hand washed/waxed it since before winter. (I never use auto car washed, just manually hand spray it off)
      05-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Quote:
You know, I've heard others say conditioner is worthless as well... Something about the coatings they put on leather and how it doesn't actually touch the leather or so etching?

Is this mike guy a member on here? If so hope he sees this... I want to order some stuff from them if a good site... Looks legit.
The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top.

Conditioners, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) can't penetrate this finish so are not worth applying. They can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

Not a member on here but Mike is one of the biggest names in the detailing industry

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...play.php?f=227
Appreciate 0