E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Performance Rotors for 335

05-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i Sport w. MPPSK

Performance Rotors for 335

I need a full brake job and am looking to upgrade my stock pads/rotors on my E90 LCI 335xi. Stock system is actually pretty good, but I'd like some lower dust pads. I'm thinking of either EBC red stuff, or Hawk ceramic.

My main question is about mixing different rotors between front and back. ECS tuning claims that the 2-piece, lightweight performance rotors taken from the Z4 35is can fit the 335 up front, but it's not the case for the rears. BMW claims they're not compatible and they don't offer any performance rotors for the 335 models. Here's a link to the rotors:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ont/ES2526447/

Does anyone have any experience with using these rotors? Is there any issue with going light-weight up front and standard OEM in the rear? My front wheels are already 7lbs lighter than the rear with my staggered MORR setup, so this proposed rotor setup would make it a 10lbs difference, which again, I'm not sure would make things better or worse as far as driving and handling dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplant13 View Post
I need a full brake job and am looking to upgrade my stock pads/rotors on my E90 LCI 335xi. Stock system is actually pretty good, but I'd like some lower dust pads. I'm thinking of either EBC red stuff, or Hawk ceramic.

My main question is about mixing different rotors between front and back. ECS tuning claims that the 2-piece, lightweight performance rotors taken from the Z4 35is can fit the 335 up front, but it's not the case for the rears. BMW claims they're not compatible and they don't offer any performance rotors for the 335 models. Here's a link to the rotors:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ont/ES2526447/

Does anyone have any experience with using these rotors? Is there any issue with going light-weight up front and standard OEM in the rear? My front wheels are already 7lbs lighter than the rear with my staggered MORR setup, so this proposed rotor setup would make it a 10lbs difference, which again, I'm not sure would make things better or worse as far as driving and handling dynamics.
I got Hawk HPS pads for front and rears, but I did some premium Centric rotors on the rear and currently have the Z rotors sitting in my garage.

Unfortunately, that means I don't have much feedback for ya. When I went to put them on, I saw the front pads had about 35-40% of their life left and didn't want to waste it. Probably doing it this summer, but let me know how it works if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Princeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335cxi

I bought Akebono ceramic pads for dust and Zimmerman coated rotors (no stick to wheels). rotors were $75 each - a lot less than what ECS wants for their product.

4 wheels (including sensors) were less than $450.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep

Not a bad deal. The Z front rotors and Centric rears, hawk pads, 2 sensors, brake fluid, and a european fluid pump ran me about $720.

I do notice the rears dust FAR less than fronts... so that's a plus
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

I bought stoptech drilled rotors and pads from tire rack for about 500$ everything shipped for my 335. I love them, they look awesome and perform great! I can send you pics if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
Not a bad deal. The Z front rotors and Centric rears, hawk pads, 2 sensors, brake fluid, and a european fluid pump ran me about $720.

I do notice the rears dust FAR less than fronts... so that's a plus
So you don't have the new Z rotors installed yet? I guess that's the route I'll take too, but I might stay OEM on the back with the stock 335i rotors. It's too bad there isn't much selection for 2 piece rotors unless you want to pay $1000/pair, so the Z rotors seem like a steel at under $400.

Each pound you can shave off of the rotating mass can add a few more horses to the wheels that is otherwise lost between them and the crank.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

The Z 35is is the best stock replacement rotor for the 335i for the money. You can spend 2x and you don't get better.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So you don't have the new Z rotors installed yet? I guess that's the route I'll take too, but I might stay OEM on the back with the stock 335i rotors. It's too bad there isn't much selection for 2 piece rotors unless you want to pay $1000/pair, so the Z rotors seem like a steel at under $400.

Each pound you can shave off of the rotating mass can add a few more horses to the wheels that is otherwise lost between them and the crank.
I actually just installed them yesterday. I can say the fit was perfect, and the bedded easily.

So far, my initial thoughts around what I was going for and what I ended up with are this:

My car is a daily driver, not exactly a track star. My primary concerns are longevity, noise level (rather, absent thereof), dusting, and maintaining OEM stopping power. With these in mind, I chose the Z rotors and Hawk HPS pads for the front, as these seemed to be the best compromise from the hours and hours of research I did.

After an easy intsall and perfect fit, my initial reaction is that the brakes are silent and have almost zero dust. I can't speak to longevity, as I just installed the pads, however, I can say that while the Hawks lose nothing to the OEM in overall stopping power, they do slightly lose some of that particular "biting" feel (the immediate firmness of the braking) that OEM pads had in favor of a more smooth transition into deceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
I actually just installed them yesterday. I can say the fit was perfect, and the bedded easily.

So far, my initial thoughts around what I was going for and what I ended up with are this:

My car is a daily driver, not exactly a track star. My primary concerns are longevity, noise level (rather, absent thereof), dusting, and maintaining OEM stopping power. With these in mind, I chose the Z rotors and Hawk HPS pads for the front, as these seemed to be the best compromise from the hours and hours of research I did.

After an easy intsall and perfect fit, my initial reaction is that the brakes are silent and have almost zero dust. I can't speak to longevity, as I just installed the pads, however, I can say that while the Hawks lose nothing to the OEM in overall stopping power, they do slightly lose some of that particular "biting" feel (the immediate firmness of the braking) that OEM pads had in favor of a more smooth transition into deceleration.
Awesome to hear! I went with the R1 Concepts' Premium Rotors, slotted and drilled (mainly for looks), and I'll have a good review on them soon after the install. I also ordered the Hawk HPS pads (also after hours of research), so I'm glad to hear they live up to the low noise and low dust! I have a new set of Morr VS8.2 wheels coming in next week and don't want to spend every day cleaning them, although I might just to have the chance to admire them up close
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
TexasToast
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 335i

I just finished a brake job on my '10 335i.
R1 Premium Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS, and Stoptech SS Lines this weekend. Csot around $750, and did the labor myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
I just finished a brake job on my '10 335i.
R1 Premium Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS, and Stoptech SS Lines this weekend. Csot around $750, and did the labor myself.
How was the rotor weight compared to the OEM rotors? I just received my R1's and the front's are 24.5lbs, which is really heavy! I'm curious if that's more than OEM. They look awesome, and I can't wait to install them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
TexasToast
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 335i

The fronts are heavy, but i didn't weigh them! Had a real fun time breaking the factory rotor from the hub!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
The fronts are heavy, but i didn't weigh them! Had a real fun time breaking the factory rotor from the hub!
Ya, I shattered the head of a small hammer before I stepped up to a 5lbs mallet, which did the trick with a couple love taps to the hat . I love the look, but the HPS pads don't offer nearly the same level of bite that the OEM pas did. Flip side is little to no dust!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
r1concepts
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 335i

Looks great
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Ya, I shattered the head of a small hammer before I stepped up to a 5lbs mallet, which did the trick with a couple love taps to the hat . I love the look, but the HPS pads don't offer nearly the same level of bite that the OEM pas did. Flip side is little to no dust!

There are several treads about drilled rotor susceptibility to cracking. That was the main reason I stayed OEM and installed z435is rotors and OEM pads. This set-up is fade free (so far) on track and offers excellent braking but is dusty. This is an FYI so you can keep your eye on rotors. GL
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
bplant13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
There are several treads about drilled rotor susceptibility to cracking. That was the main reason I stayed OEM and installed z435is rotors and OEM pads. This set-up is fade free (so far) on track and offers excellent braking but is dusty. This is an FYI so you can keep your eye on rotors. GL
I wanted performance, but looks as well (good looking rotors and low dust). If you are tracking heavily, I agree, drilled rotors are not recommended, but I don't track. I auto-x here and there, but that's 60 seconds of hard driving about 10/year. If Porsche's OEM rotors are cross-drilled, they can't be that bad...
Appreciate 0