E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ecotune Stage 3 upgrade - Now with a 1M bumper

04-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #23
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Wow you really have an awesome set up! Do you have really wide rears and narrow fronts then?

At the minute i can't really afford to buy dedicated wheels and tyres, hopefully one day. Do you have any data with road tyres?

Also what are you alignment specs? Do you know if this would affect the ET that much?
Well, it seemed to me like i'd want a long contact patch for max traction in the forward direction ... 225/45R17 is the size. So they're not wide tires. I could see how wide tires would help with cornering traction where you'd have tangential forces, so a wider contact patch would help.

I usually put on my 245/40R17 DWS fronts when going with the track rear tires, as they're a little smaller diameter than the Hoosiers. So they're not skinny by any means. My normal summer tires are a little taller than the slicks ... and that wouldn't be any good to have the front higher than the back :-)

Don't know my alignment specs. I've never had the car aligned ... after 60k miles I should probably do that sometime.

Think I have some really old data at much lower power levels with street tires. Will have to look for that.
      05-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Well, it seemed to me like i'd want a long contact patch for max traction in the forward direction ... 225/45R17 is the size. So they're not wide tires. I could see how wide tires would help with cornering traction where you'd have tangential forces, so a wider contact patch would help.

I usually put on my 245/40R17 DWS fronts when going with the track rear tires, as they're a little smaller diameter than the Hoosiers. So they're not skinny by any means. My normal summer tires are a little taller than the slicks ... and that wouldn't be any good to have the front higher than the back :-)

Don't know my alignment specs. I've never had the car aligned ... after 60k miles I should probably do that sometime.

Think I have some really old data at much lower power levels with street tires. Will have to look for that.
Reason why i asked about alihnment is if it is out for some reason then i would suspect it could affect your 1/4mile times?

Also i would have thought 17" rims with really wide rear tyres would help with traction? Currently i have 275/30/19 PSS, probably not the best for drag strips but hoping they will fare well.

Are you into your track days at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #25
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you into your track days at all?
Driving distance tracks just opened last weekend. Unfortunately I've got work deadlines keeping me working a lot of overtime ... but with some recent modifications to my ride I really want to get back there and test things. Hopefully work/family/friends/weather will cooperate sometime this month...
      05-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #26
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Driving distance tracks just opened last weekend. Unfortunately I've got work deadlines keeping me working a lot of overtime ... but with some recent modifications to my ride I really want to get back there and test things. Hopefully work/family/friends/weather will cooperate sometime this month...
Yeah i know what you mean, same here. Really want to go to a local track this summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #27
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

What causes the dip on the dyno chart at 2750rpm? Is that where the larger turbo takes over?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #28
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont
What causes the dip on the dyno chart at 2750rpm? Is that where the larger turbo takes over?
Not sure mate. It's certainly not noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Lol, I bet not. That thing is bad to the bone.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #30
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

I shouldn't have read this :-(

Did you get the chance to go to the drag strip, just to have an idea?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
I shouldn't have read this :-(

Did you get the chance to go to the drag strip, just to have an idea?
Haha

Not yet mate. Really want to go to Santa Pod this year to get some data!

But i'm leaving to go to Spain this Saturday so will have to wait until i get back.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #32
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Didn't get a chance to give her a wash but here are some pics:

And the AKG 75D rear subframe bushes. Really can't wait to get these and the 672lb/in rear swifts on!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #33
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

As one who just lost their transmission at far, far lower power levels how do you not spend your time worrying about blowing up the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #34
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

did you race m3 already? those wheels look good, but would even better if they would be more greyish to match the colour shade...my 335d has about 200bhp at most right now, since no one knows why there is not power...also be careful, when u change the transmission oil and give it only to specialized shop, that uses the right machine and zf oil, plus there are options in bmw diagnostics in dis for transmission oil change and new adaptation, if you ever need it, since the increased torque...
i like the m3 sides too and facelifted rear tails....i have no money to invest into mine anymore...so no upgrades whatsoever...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #35
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Lucky! That's great you have a strip so close.

There's been lots of threads/posts on this launch topic. If you want to maximize the traction capability at the start, then there's no substitute for slicks... But really, if you want to see what the car can put down to the ground on the road, then focus on the trap speed. It'll also make it a lot more fun at first until you get used to the car and the track and the lights and the speed and ... plus it's less stress on the drivetrain than doing an aggressive launch with sticky tires.

Personally, I've found the 2nd gear launch with just a mild amount of brake-boosting, and keeping the traction control ON (many others say to turn it completely off), has given me the most consistent 60 ft times. With traction control completely off I've gotten almost sideways multiple times with the LSD and slicks and had to back off fuel ...
Well you say lucky but i guess that means i'll be spending more money on tyres

I think i will refrain from using slicks initially. Perhaps might move to semi slicks so i can use them daily as well? Have you experimented with using a dedicated set for your 1/4mile runs? Maybe a set of lightweight 17" with semi slicks?

Since getting the car back i have only used it on DTC (one press of DTC). Fully off would take somd nerves and probably more experience!

I have told myself no brake boosting considering the amount of torque there is. But how much is a little brake boost. 1k revs?

Edit: Wow 3.6s?? That's bloody amazing!
I hate to keep being the skunk at the garden party, but how can you possibly expect the transmission to hold up?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #36
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
...There is one this Sunday and its only 13miles away....

Please could you give me some tips on your launch? Do you launch in second?
Lucky! That's great you have a strip so close.

There's been lots of threads/posts on this launch topic. If you want to maximize the traction capability at the start, then there's no substitute for slicks... But really, if you want to see what the car can put down to the ground on the road, then focus on the trap speed. It'll also make it a lot more fun at first until you get used to the car and the track and the lights and the speed and ... plus it's less stress on the drivetrain than doing an aggressive launch with sticky tires.

Personally, I've found the 2nd gear launch with just a mild amount of brake-boosting, and keeping the traction control ON (many others say to turn it completely off), has given me the most consistent 60 ft times. With traction control completely off I've gotten almost sideways multiple times with the LSD and slicks and had to back off fuel ...
TDI have you ever had transmission issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #37
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

great looking rims!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #38
Gearhead51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D Montego Premium Msport

Chief,

There are quite a few of us running higher power levels than you did with JBD, and aren't having problems. I'm not saying it won't happen, because ANYTIME you increase output, you shorten the component life incrementally, but we aren't seeing rashes of transmission failures yet. All of these transmissions WILL fail eventually. I think you just got the short straw.

What did a replacement set you back, if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #39
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Really like those rims ... nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Not yet. But it has been something that I've been concerned about for many years.

I have been servicing the transmission about every 30k miles and resetting adaptations each time. I'm also careful not go be aggressive on using the skinny pedal on anything other than smooth roads (bumps and wheel hopping can send tremendous torque pulses through the drivetrain). And I've crafted the additional power mods to come in at higher rpm's to keep low rpm torque from getting out of control... so far so good with these strategies.
      06-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #40
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
As one who just lost their transmission at far, far lower power levels how do you not spend your time worrying about blowing up the transmission?
I don't know i'm just that sort of person! Touch wood i'll be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #41
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Really like those rims ... nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Not yet. But it has been something that I've been concerned about for many years.

I have been servicing the transmission about every 30k miles and resetting adaptations each time. I'm also careful not go be aggressive on using the skinny pedal on anything other than smooth roads (bumps and wheel hopping can send tremendous torque pulses through the drivetrain). And I've crafted the additional power mods to come in at higher rpm's to keep low rpm torque from getting out of control... so far so good with these strategies.
Thanks TDI.

I may do 30k ATF changes too, initially i thought 50k...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #42
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead51 View Post
Chief,

There are quite a few of us running higher power levels than you did with JBD, and aren't having problems. I'm not saying it won't happen, because ANYTIME you increase output, you shorten the component life incrementally, but we aren't seeing rashes of transmission failures yet. All of these transmissions WILL fail eventually. I think you just got the short straw.

What did a replacement set you back, if you don't mind me asking.
Thank God I am still three months within my warranty. Based on my discussions with the SA, I was looking at $7,500 - $8,000...ouch.

One of things that I think might be helpful on this board is what sort of preventative maintenance can be done beyond fluid changes? For example, has anyone ever fitted a transmission cooler to a modified D. I also did not know that you can get your valve body rebuilt for $1,100. Would this help extend the life of the transmission if it, say, stopped shifting smoothly. Again, I don't know much about transmissions, but I remember having to pay $4,800 from a reputable and inexpensive (for Nor. Cal.) indy for my 740i.

Would not a transmission cooler (for those of you not living in Canada) be a great thing for our cars? I know that I would buy one in a heart beat. Does a LSD do anything to extend the life of the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #43
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
As far as preventative maintenance for our transmissions go, I replaced the mechatronic adapter seal (thectsc.com) and 4 rubber pipe seals (rmeuropean.com) at 42k miles when I did the ATF change using the OEM ZF kit and fluid.

I too am worried about how my transmission is going to hold up when I add more power to the engine. I currently have a set of turbos at Comp Turbos that they are using for a prototype build for my car. After they are finished building them they are sending them to TurboSmart to custom fit the actuators. Hopefully they'll be on the car by the end of July.

In the meantime, I have a backup tranny that I got off of a 2011 w/ approx. 27k miles on it ready to if something goes wrong as a result of my current mods.

The only person they I know who is running a built tranny is the banned one. However, I am not sure of all the modifications that he has made to his. Tdi, you seem to be the go to person in this community, do you have any input on this??

People in Europe are running hybrid turbos on their 335d (Madness Motorsport & HPT) however I do not speak Bulgarian or Portugese to be able to ask them whether they have upgraded their trannys.

There are companies such as Level10 and IPT who offer fully built trannys for approx. $4-5K but nobody I know has taken the plunge and shared their experiences. Level10 does not have the best of reviews along with ITP. 517 Trans is another option, but they seem to specialize more on Audi's and VW's than BMW's.

Maybe we can start a new thread on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #44
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Wow, looking forward to hearing more about those turbo's. Hopefully they'll provide compressor maps. That's something I haven't seen on the "hybrid turbo's" others have used on their 335d mods.

Also, I'm very far from an expert on the transmission. There are others on here that can provide far my insight than myself. What I'd really like is a manual transmission in this thing...