E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Witnessed a fatal motorcycle wreck last week

06-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Crimson Red E92

So last Thursday I had left work early because we were all going to fly to Atlantic City for my friend's bachelor party for the weekend. I was at an intersection to turn into my apartment, just waiting to turn left at the light. As I was sitting there, I saw a couple ride by my car; thought nothing about it...as they were approaching the light, a 05 Suburban takes a left coming the opposite way. The couple on the motorcycle (Harley) collided on the side of the SUV. I did not see the impact because cars were blocking, but I heard the collision.
All of us that witnessed the accident got out of the car and saw the couple laying both with their helmets off on the ground. They were both motionless; the man had his eyes rolled back of his head, his head was crushed/dented, legs twisted, and bleeding bad from his head. The lady gained consiousness, started crying, but could not move her body. An off-duty paramedic came to the scene and started giving cpr to the man..but it was too late.
I left the scene while the cops came because we had a flight to catch. I looked at the phone later, the man was pronounced dead on the scene, as the lady was sent to the hospital and remains in critical condition.
24 years old, and that was the first time I've seen a man die..that picture will remain in my memory forever. So remember guys, please watch out for riders and be careful. I sold my motorcycle last year, and now I'm really reconsidering ever buying one again. Just seeing the man and his old lady riding, and one second later their whole lives changed. He was an off-duty cop. RIP Sgt. Hudgens, prayers goes out to his friends and family.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Riveting Tale Old Chap!

that will not stay in your memory
I've seen human road kill at least 10 times... I can't recall any of it
      06-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

And i thought seeing a cat get run over once was bad...

What an intense image.
      06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

RIP.
Remember cruisers, you should wear some real gear as well. half helmets don't do much.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

RIP.

I once saw a dog decapitated by a School bus (following right behind so i got the most horrific view) while it's owner was watching. His pain was unbelievable and i can still remember it today. Can only imagine what the wife feels like.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335I

The biggest threat to motorcyclists are factors beyond the rider's control. You have to develop the ability to watch everything going on around you and anticipate what other drivers are going to do. This is known as "situational awareness" and you can develop it over time. You need to ride with the assumption that the drivers of other vehicles don't see you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxermike750 View Post
The biggest threat to motorcyclists are factors beyond the rider's control. You have to develop the ability to watch everything going on around you and anticipate what other drivers are going to do. This is known as "situational awareness" and you can develop it over time. You need to ride with the assumption that the drivers of other vehicles don't see you.
this as well
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Sorry to hear this, I know its very traumatic, hopefully you understand he is in a better place. I have seen the same thing multiple times and every time it turns your gut.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
RIP.
Remember cruisers, you should wear some real gear as well. half helmets don't do much.
My thoughts exactly, just wonder what the outcome would be if they had full leathers and a full face helmet.

Now I'm just debating or not to go to his service.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Rolled past a motorcycle accident on i35 once, rider was on the ground, helmet 15-20 feet away, head clearly still in helmet...

you never unsee things like this
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawjaDawg View Post
My thoughts exactly, just wonder what the outcome would be if they had full leathers and a full face helmet.

Now I'm just debating or not to go to his service.
I don't think unless you know the person that is really appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Rolled past a motorcycle accident on i35 once, rider was on the ground, helmet 15-20 feet away, head clearly still in helmet...

That is Brutal. I have never seen a decapitation. That would be horrific, not sure If I could look that one over.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

sad to hear. the same exact thing happened to me...a car turned out in front of us while making a left turn(they failed to yield on green). my truck slammed into the side of their car at close to 50mph. everyone had seatbelts on and no one was seriously injured. i've seen way too many accidents where a driver fails to properly yield while trying to turn left, their view often obscured by the traffic opposite them trying to turn left as well. too many drivers take the chance that the path is clear when they can't actually see...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Gravy
Look away, look away, look awa....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan m/t bone stock

Ive never seen a death like your describing but after the row of tornados we had here in april, we were pullin bodies in sawerville, about 25mi south of tuscaloosa. Somehow the memory of carrying people with heads missing and some with half of it missing dont haunt me. I understand that everything that happens is an act of God and a natural event doesnt do the same degree of phsycialogical harm to a witness as an accident in our "man made world". The way to find peace is to awknoledge the fact that deaths happen for a reason.

ROLL TIDE!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Ive never seen a death like your describing but after the row of tornados we had here in april, we were pullin bodies in sawerville, about 25mi south of tuscaloosa. Somehow the memory of carrying people with heads missing and some with half of it missing dont haunt me. I understand that everything that happens is an act of God and a natural event doesnt do the same degree of phsycialogical harm to a witness as an accident in our "man made world". The way to find peace is to awknoledge the fact that deaths happen for a reason.
+1 good post
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxermike750 View Post
I agree.

It seems these days with all the cell phones, texting and people pissed off about the economy being so bad we have to turn things up a couple of notches.

It also helps to wear high visibility clothing and helmet which is the highest point on your bike. Still, I am considering selling my bikes due to all the terrible stories like this one.
      06-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

Quote:

Witnessed one, just as described above.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
i drove a tow truck many many years ago. accident clean-up was a norm.
      06-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
i drove a tow truck many many years ago. accident clean-up was a norm.
Do you get flashbacks?
      06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I once witnessed a 10yr old kid get hit by a car... He was crossing the street and the left turn light was turning yellow and the driver thought
It was a good idea to try and beat it so he sped up. I was the first car at the light and witnessed the entire thing from the kid running across the
Street to the car in my sideview mirror... Thankfully the kid didnt get hit full on because the car was going atleast 40. Instead it hit him from the fender and rolled him across the entire side of the car.

I am glad to report that the kid is ok and just had some scratches

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:

Truth. I had to pick up the pieces of a skull on a motorcycle decapitation once. The guys face was literally a mask, and I could see his tongue from the back side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Its always amazed me how some people have the ability to forget these type if things. Major credit given to the emergency services crews who witness this daily.

I witnessed a motorcycle hit a John Deer tractor head-on while going round a bend on a country road at fairly high speed. There was little left to look at after it happened. I witnessed that about 7 or 8 years ago when I was roughly 14 yr old. For the rest of my life, I'm pretty certain that image will never ever leave my memory. It's probably the single reason I've never sat my bike test.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Do you get flashbacks?