E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFR Comparo (Procede/JB4/Cobb)

11-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #67
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54 View Post
You needed to be around for the tuner war days to understand.
States someone with a :11: join date
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #68
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
That falls under the definition of marketing. Hey, the procede hit the desired afr targets when and how the tuner wanted on this car for one pull, so buy the product. Marketing.
If you re-read what I said I distinctly mentioned that it did not STEM from marketing. But, then again, I'm not sure what is so wrong with a paying vendor marketing his product in this first place?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #69
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Quote:
That falls under the definition of marketing. Hey, the procede hit the desired afr targets when and how the tuner wanted on this car for one pull, so buy the product. Marketing.
What? You serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
States someone with a :11: join date
Years of lurking as a guest...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #70
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I dont think it stemmed from marketing, in fact hardly.

It stemmed from a bunch of individuals saying the PROcede can't mimic these AFR targets, that it runs too lean, and its "doing it wrong" and Piggy's cant run rich on the onset of boost.

This actually shows the complete opposite of what they said it's doing, by no surprise.

As far as which is better or not; Well they all seem to pull really well despite where the AFR start or finish. So that leaves the answer with, there is no better, just different.
Well, I think they were right with regards to the REV 2 board. It's not only after the upgraded resistors (REV 2.5 AND 3) that the PROcede is able to target these great AFRs. I think the upgrade was caused by these individuals as they showed log after log of data showing inconsistencies.

I'm impressed that the PROcede improved so much over the last few months. I think they are have a slight edge over COBB, especially when it comes to using meth (although, I don't like that it's only a super smooth integration with their own PWM kit...).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #71
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Actually you know what else would be great? Some sort of trace function for datalogging, where you can see the cells of the table illuminate during a pull. I know where my mine are, but I'd like to see it car to car, pull vs pull.
You can do this with the Procede user software. Just hit the letter T button to trace the active cells. Then the letter R to reset/clear the trace.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #72
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
There is nothing wrong with marketing, good marketing is good business. Folks commented on poor AFRs being pooring tuning. This thread shows a procede car hiting AFRs targets, which I assume are what shiv wants. Boom, we are all good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #73
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
Well, I think they were right with regards to the REV 2 board. It's not only after the upgraded resistors (REV 2.5 AND 3) that the PROcede is able to target these great AFRs. I think the upgrade was caused by these individuals as they showed log after log of data showing inconsistencies.

I'm impressed that the PROcede improved so much over the last few months. I think they are have a slight edge over COBB, especially when it comes to using meth (although, I don't like that it's only a super smooth integration with their own PWM kit...).
They were right that it was in fact leaner then it is today, however, their points were it was dangerous which is hardly the case. As you can see there are no failures in regards to burnt up pistons/rings ETC due to leaner AFR. These DI motors can take leaner AFR then its port fuel injection counterparts, and by no surprise large variance in AFR dont contribute to reduced or gained performance.

On my last platform I found nearly 30WHP by adjusting AFR just .75 leaner. On this car it could careless.

However, thanks to whomever, the PROcede is now even better with 2.5 and Rev 3 thanks to improvements in advanced ignition also.

So regardless of who why what how or when, lets stick with the present and in the present time it works great. Frankly, thats all I'm concerned with not sure why everyone keeps living in the past.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with marketing, good marketing is good business. Folks commented on poor AFRs being pooring tuning. This thread shows a procede car hiting AFRs targets, which I assume are what shiv wants. Boom, we are all good.
Best part was that none of those people are professional tuners so who are they to say what poor tuning is? But yes, lets move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #74
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Ironically COBB seems to be making great/competetive HP/TQ numbers even if they are running a bit more safe (rich). What is the point of this discussion? That some tunes are more lean yet without power gains for the same mods? I am sure with AFR COBB people can lean out their tune, if desired, and make more power which might produce exotic results.

I just want to know the real purpose here...

Zeph
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #75
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Ironically COBB seems to be making great/competetive HP/TQ numbers even if they are running a bit more safe (rich). What is the point of this discussion? That some tunes are more lean yet without power gains for the same mods? I am sure with AFR COBB people can lean out their tune, if desired, and make more power which might produce exotic results.

I just want to know the real purpose here...

Zeph
There are negligible gains by having Cobb run any leaner. This has all been said already. There is nothing here but data.

You guys are digging real deep and hard to find nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #76
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are negligible gains by having Cobb run any leaner. This has all been said already. There is nothing here but data.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #77
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:

Exactly, so why make an entire post about COBB being rich? rich is safe and I don't see anyone making more power without upgraded turbos or meth. It is a wasteful post.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #78
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Exactly, so why make an entire post about COBB being rich? rich is safe and I don't see anyone making more power without upgraded turbos or meth. It is a wasteful post.
i think the point of the ops post was to share data. nothing else. he shared the variables and showed the data and did not imply anything else regarding what the data meant. he just simply showed it to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #79
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
When did I say that? It is running rich now that you mention it though.

Last edited by FastBimmerN54; 11-17-2011 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #80
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerryliu View Post
i think the point of the ops post was to share data. nothing else. he shared the variables and showed the data and did not imply anything else regarding what the data meant. he just simply showed it to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #81
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 02:18 AM   #82
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Like others have said this thread is not about Cobb you need to present data from Cobb and JB in order to compare data against the Procede. Since the release of the Cobb Stage 2 a few board members have been claiming That Procede runs dangerously lean. This thread simply provides data and a comparison. It just so happens to be that the members that were slinging mud ended up full of it. As I have said in the past each tune is different and each user and their car is different. People should run which ever tune is best for their specific needs based on an informed decision. To bash a specific tune and claim that it runs lean for the past month and a half, only to be proven wrong is kinda funny. And for those now claiming they don't understand why Shiv is presenting this data is either ignorance or just plain stupitdity. Furthermore people who call this marketing really do not understand business or the term marketing. This is a response to a negative advertising campaign launched by a few board members. Marketing is a plan that uses advertising(print,tv,web) free press, and other mediums to implement a well thought out marketing plan. I doubt Shiv planned on a group of board members slinging false truths about his product.

As Jeff stated earlier no one tune is better they are just different. Each have different attributes. Some have more power and some have less. Some have hardware and some are primarily software. Simple fact from the data presented today it is clear that the Procede is running nice clean AFRs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #83
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

I've read and my conclusion/preference; Cobb is a better tune on pump by far, and JB4 for everything else (meth, nitrous). Thanks shiv for the info, carry on..

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #84
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can only imagine the response if I had posted the dyno numbers. Seems like some are able to process info without claiming foul for some reason or another.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #85
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You can do this with the Procede user software. Just hit the letter T button to trace the active cells. Then the letter R to reset/clear the trace.

Shiv
Thats pretty neat. I'll have to give it a try. I didn't find any information related to recording a trace on the interwebs. Or did you mean it toggles the illumination on/off? And here I was filming it with my phone lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I can only imagine the response if I had posted the dyno numbers. Seems like some are able to process info without claiming foul for some reason or another.
I think most people just realized arguing was a futile effort?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #86
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerryliu View Post
lol

So what's the point of posting data if no one knows what is better?

Should have posted some instead. Then we would at least have fun to find the best ones
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #87
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

doesnt cobb still run more boost to make the power hence richer to keep the engine cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #88
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Many of you guys are worse than women.
Appreciate 0