E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 328i bluetooth installtion

03-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
turbozeke418
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI manual

2011 328i bluetooth installtion

I have a 2011 328i base model. Is there an easy way to add bluetooth in the car? There is a module in the trunk already with a fiberoptic cable going to it and a bluetooth symbol on it. to the left of it is an empty bracket. How much would it cost to? Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
cupeyguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

bluetooth instalation

Did you ever get any any answers to your questions. I just bought a 328 basic and want to add bluetooth.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozeke418 View Post
I have a 2011 328i base model. Is there an easy way to add bluetooth in the car? There is a module in the trunk already with a fiberoptic cable going to it and a bluetooth symbol on it. to the left of it is an empty bracket. How much would it cost to? Any input would be appreciated.
What is the production date and equipment installed in your 2011 328i?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupeyguy View Post
Did you ever get any any answers to your questions. I just bought a 328 basic and want to add bluetooth.
What year? If it is really "basic" 2011 (as the OP's), i.e. no iDrive or other optional equipment, then you simply can't add OEM Bluetooth to a 2011 car. Moreover, OEM-like aftermarket Bluetooth solutions won't work either. All you can do is Parrot Bluetooth (assuming your want to keep the OEM headunit). Or replace the whole headunit to whatever you like.

According to the OP's description, that car is more than "basic" ("basic" car wouldn't have anything "fiberoptic" in it). What about yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
What year? If it is really "basic" 2011 (as the OP's), i.e. no iDrive or other optional equipment, then you simply can't add OEM Bluetooth to a 2011 car. Moreover, OEM-like aftermarket Bluetooth solutions won't work either. All you can do is Parrot Bluetooth (assuming your want to keep the OEM headunit). Or replace the whole headunit to whatever you like.

According to the OP's description, that car is more than "basic" ("basic" car wouldn't have anything "fiberoptic" in it). What about yours?
Yes, you can retrofit OEM Bluetooth to a MY2011 3-Series... I have done it.

Once my question is aswered we can discuss details.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
avizilla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Me too!

I also have a 2011 328i (prod date 2010-08-03), no i-drive (Radio BMW Professional), with a MULF2 in the trunk that has a bluetooth logo on it. I've read through hundreds of posts, but am still confused if this can actually do bluetooth, what those capabilities are (answer calls, voice control, a2dp?), and how to upgrade/enable them.

The parts guy at my dealer looked up my VIN and said since it lists no Bluetooth Prep option code, there's no way it can be installed. That was before I discovered the MULF2 (what is a MULF2 anyway? I keep seeing it referred to but have never seen it explained) with the BT logo on it, or I would have pushed him further. The dealer printout shows Satellite radio prep, USB/Audio interface and 'telematics access request,country-spec' if that makes a difference. Both the steering wheel and radio have a phone button.

I'm new to all this, so appreciate any help or pointers to newbie info you anyone can provide. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes, you can retrofit OEM Bluetooth to a MY2011 3-Series... I have done it.
"MY2011 3-Series" is to generic to be meaningful. As I said above, you can retrofit Bluetooth to a 2011 3-series that meets certain requirements, if it meets certain requirements and only if it meets certain requirements. The most important requirement being the presence of fiber-optic network (MOST). Cars with iDrive, Navi or premium sound system will have it and, I guess, Bluetooth can be retrofit to such cars. If the requirements are met, then you'll also have plethora of alternative OEM-like options besides the OEM Bluetooth.

As for truly basic 2011 3 series... no, you cannot retrofit Bluetooth to it and no, nobody has done it (at least yet) in the more-or-less traditional meaning of the word "retrofit" (i.e. barring the total teardown and rebuild of the electronic subsystem and network). Basically, from the purely financial point of view, the cheapest way to "retrofit" Bluetooth to such a car is to sell it and buy a new one with Bluetooth. The amount of money one will lose on such a transaction will be less than the amount of money it will take to do an actual retrofit.

So, I'll say it again: a "basic" 2011 3-series can't have Bluetooth retrofit to it. Parrot will work, but that's as close to OEM as you'll ever get.

Last edited by AndreyT; 10-23-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You can retrofit Bluetooth to a 3 series that meets certain requirements, if it meets certain requirements and only if it meets certain requirements. The most important requirement being the presence of fiber-optic bus. Cars with iDrive, Navi or premium sound system will have it and, I guess, Bluetooth can be retrofit to such cars. If the requirements are met, then you'll also have plethora of alternative OEM-like options besides the OEM Bluetooth.

As for truly basic 2011 3 series... no, you cannot retrofit Bluetooth to it and no, nobody has done it (at least yet) in the more-or-less traditional meaning of the word "retrofit" (i.e. barring the total teardown and rebuild of the electronic subsystem). Basically, from the purely financial point of view, the cheapest way to "retrofit" Bluetooth to such a car is to sell it and buy a new one with Bluetooth. The amount of money one will lose on such a transaction will be less than the amount of money it will take to do an actual retrofit.

So, I'll say it again: a "basic" 2011 3-series can't have Bluetooth retrofit to it. Parrot will work, but that's as close to OEM as you'll ever get.
This is not a pissing contest.

Again... to those that want to know how to retrofit the OEM Bluetooth in a post-2010 3-Series just post prodution date and equipment and a professional suggestion will be provided.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avizilla View Post
I also have a 2011 328i (prod date 2010-08-03), no i-drive (Radio BMW Professional), with a MULF2 in the trunk that has a bluetooth logo on it. I've read through hundreds of posts, but am still confused if this can actually do bluetooth, what those capabilities are (answer calls, voice control, a2dp?), and how to upgrade/enable them.

The parts guy at my dealer looked up my VIN and said since it lists no Bluetooth Prep option code, there's no way it can be installed. That was before I discovered the MULF2 (what is a MULF2 anyway? I keep seeing it referred to but have never seen it explained) with the BT logo on it, or I would have pushed him further. The dealer printout shows Satellite radio prep, USB/Audio interface and 'telematics access request,country-spec' if that makes a difference. Both the steering wheel and radio have a phone button.

I'm new to all this, so appreciate any help or pointers to newbie info you anyone can provide. Thanks!
Your MULF2 can be swapped with a Combox kit (antenna and mic included) and that will give you Bluetooth and a slightly better 6FL (can use the Apple white USB cable instead or the OEM analog cable).

No A2DP is available in any Professional radio unit, even with Combox.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again... to those that want to know how to retrofit the OEM Bluetooth in a post-2010 3-Series just post prodution date and equipment and a professional suggestion will be provided.
OK, I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong.

My car is MY2011 335i Sedan made in 10/2010. It has only the following options: Sport Package, Leather, Folding Rear seat. No other options.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
OK, I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong.

My car is 2011 335i Sedan made in 10/2010. It has only the following options: Sport Package, Leather, Folding Rear seat. No other options.
Your Professional Radio must be replaced by a MOST radio ($440) if cannot be coded for MOST with HiFi output. BMW started installing single purpose radios from 09/10 on - no more excess circuitry if the respective options were not installed.

Then a Combox kit can be installed (6FL and Bluetooth) and coded. You will gain a Sat Radio tuner as well but it will cost some $350 extra to enable it.

It will be expensive but there will be an OEM Bluetooth and USB installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your Professional Radio must be replaced by a MOST radio ($440) if cannot be coded for MOST with HiFi output.
Yes, I was told before by an audio installer in my area that the main problem is that my radio is not MOST. When I asked about simply replacing my radio with MOST radio, every single installer told me that they have no experience with this process whatsoever. So, here's another problem: no one seems to know how to do it. I told them that I know it is going to be expensive and that I don't mind paying. Bun nobody dared to do it regardless. Does anyone know any installer in California with this kind of expertise?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I was told before by an audio installer in my area that the main problem is that my radio is not MOST. When I asked about simply replacing my radio with MOST radio, every single installer told me that they have no experience with this process whatsoever. So, here's another problem: no one seems to know how to do it. I told them that I know it is going to be expensive and that I don't mind paying. Bun nobody dared to do it regardless. Does anyone know any installer in California with this kind of expertise?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519258

It is not only replacing the radio, you need a custom OEM harness for the Combox.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519258

It is not only replacing the radio, you need a custom OEM harness for the Combox.
Thanks a lot. I'll check them out.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Your MULF2 can be swapped with a Combox kit (antenna and mic included) and that will give you Bluetooth and a slightly better 6FL (can use the Apple white USB cable instead or the OEM analog cable).

No A2DP is available in any Professional radio unit, even with Combox.
I'm reading this conversation with interest. I have a 2012 128 without bluetooth and idrive but it does have usb+ipod funcitonality.

I must have the MULF2, since if I had the Combbox I could, for example, use the ipod with just the USB interface cable. But I can't.

But my ultimate goal is not the ipod functionality, because I use a harddrive full of MP3.

My goal is getting bluetooth enabled. And I'm not sure if this is the right path...
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
I'm reading this conversation with interest. I have a 2012 128 without bluetooth and idrive but it does have usb+ipod funcitonality.

I must have the MULF2, since if I had the Combbox I could, for example, use the ipod with just the USB interface cable. But I can't.

But my ultimate goal is not the ipod functionality, because I use a harddrive full of MP3.

My goal is getting bluetooth enabled. And I'm not sure if this is the right path...
The MULF-Hi also has a Bluetooth section just disabled. Search for a thread of enabling the Bluetooth and doing the wiring for the antenna/microphone in the MULF.

Or simply swap the MULF-Hi with a Combox, which it is easier to add Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Why do you say the Combox is easier? Won't I still need to do the wiring for the antenna and microphone? Is the Combox "easier" in that I won't have to do coding?
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avizilla View Post

Quote:

Quote:
The MULF-Hi also has a Bluetooth section just disabled. Search for a thread of enabling the Bluetooth and doing the wiring for the antenna/microphone in the MULF.

Or simply swap the MULF-Hi with a Combox, which it is easier to add Bluetooth.
See Here and Here
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Why do you say the Combox is easier? Won't I still need to do the wiring for the antenna and microphone? Is the Combox "easier" in that I won't have to do coding?
Coding is always required for any swap.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Speaking of which; any thoughts on the 640 coding question via email?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #21
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592
Good to know. Then why is the combox a better foundation?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
See Here and Here
Thanks for the links. I've been following the wiring and coding saga. I can't quite tell whether it applies to mine yet, but suspect I won't know until I start pulling off panels, etc.

The other link, with parts and coding about $1k, makes me think the bimmernav solution is a better selection, at $750.

dyne81

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-281.html

Appreciate 0