E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Pentagon Car Sales & (Military Purchase Price)

04-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
MAJSlacker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d (Monaco Blue/Oyster)

Pentagon Car Sales & (Military Purchase Price)

Greetings from sunny (and very warm!) Iraq.

I am considering a new BMW car for myself (and to share with my lovely fiance once she learns to drive a manual transmission vehicle).

The Pentagon Car Sales corporation and several of the other ones (SuperiorMSP, Elite MSP, First Choice MSP) all have attractive, and identical, pricing.

First question - anyone use any of these services and have any problems? How did things work overall? Were you happy with the program?

Second question - how does the pricing compare to what one can get in the states right now? I plan to order a 2009 model as soon as I can, which is probably July, for September production. I will be home on mid-tour leave in July (home for good in November) so could conceivably walk into a car dealership and make a cash deal right there...

The pricing I have (for a 2008) now is: $49050

That is for:
BMW 328i Convertible $39,250
Manual Transmission N/C
Premium Package- $2,650
Navigation System- $1,900
Logic 7 Stereo- $1,200
Sport Package- $1,200
Cold Weather Package- $750
Comfort Access- $500
IPod Adapter- $350
Metallic Paint $475 (thinking Titanium Silver w/ Black leather)
Aluminum Trim- N/C
Delivery via Export Program - $775

The Export Program covers the following for a cost of $775:
European port handling including checking of catalytic converter, sea freight to US, US port handling charges including customs clearance and wharf age. Handling and transportation to a BMW dealership of your choice in USA, a full pre delivery inspection and preparation of your BMW and detailed delivery to you as well as customs duty at the port of entry (customs duty is charged at 2.5% of the delivered price and included in the $775 mentioned). I was told that the cost was $2150 for this until January 1st, when it was reduced to $775.

Add to this the $50 for the iPod USB cable, and $200 for the U.S. Navigation DVD, and my total cost adds up to about: $49300.

I won't have to pay sales tax (registering in NY, where I am a resident but not living due to the military, which means I can defer my sales tax indefinitely).

So, thoughts on car costs, color choices, and the military program?

Many thanks. Back to work (I am helping train the Iraqi Army, so we can someday (soon) leave this country).

Cheers!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
nekken04
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

How goes it Chris?

I'm in a similiar situation if not identical. I'm currently in Balad, Iraq and I've got 3 more months left in theater. I just placed my order yesterday with First Choice MSP. I ordered a monaco blue 335xi coupe w/ ZPP, ZSP (18" wheels), CA, Step, HD Radio, Ipod, and Heated front seats for $46,525. I am also registering my car in NY, but I live there. I was told by the rep, Lisa Dimmick, production should start in June and delivery by mid-August, couple weeks after I redeploy.

To answer your questions, so far I'm pretty happy with their services. First Choice MSP's office is located in Dubai and it's run by the Brits. They communicate via email, and Lisa had been wonderful throughout the process. A friend of mine ordered a 335i with them and he worked with Warren. He's expecting delivery next week. He wanted it earlier, but there was a disconnect in coms. He advised, be direct and specific with your instructions and keep an open communication with your rep. Compared to what I was quoted when I went home on leave last October, the price was about 3-4k difference. If you search for invoice pricing, we actually pay below that for the car itself, but we pay MSRP for the options. Hope that addresses some of your concerns. Anyways, I gotta get back to work too. If you've got anymore specific questions, feel free to ask.

Kenneth
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
It also depends on which state you're buying the car from. Buying a 335 in Miami or Los Angeles will be more than where I live now. When I bought mine, back in Nov 06, I payed $43k with pretty much everything except PDC, Active steering, and Step. When I PCS'd from Germany to Georgia a year later, I could have sold my car for....$43k. Its good to buy european cars overseas, then bring them to the states. Potentially you could pocket $7k-$10k.
      04-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Andro07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
It also depends on which state you're buying the car from. Buying a 335 in Miami or Los Angeles will be more than where I live now. When I bought mine, back in Nov 06, I payed $43k with pretty much everything except PDC, Active steering, and Step. When I PCS'd from Germany to Georgia a year later, I could have sold my car for....$43k. Its good to buy european cars overseas, then bring them to the states. Potentially you could pocket $7k-$10k.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 ///M3, 97 ///M3, 08 2002

Garage List
I just bought a 328i sedan from pentagon in italy and the total came out to 32,245 so basically i got around 4k of the retail price my sticker price was 36675. and it arrives here in italy on the 1st of May unfortunatly my wife will enjoy it because i will be in afghanistan until august.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

i bought from Pentagon while i was stationed in Germany. I think my car was around 46 or so with everything but PDC and active cruise. saved quite a bit over what i would have paid in the states and the service/everything was great. i would do it again in a second and just might if i get back to germany (get the wife a vehicle next).
      04-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
MAJSlacker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d (Monaco Blue/Oyster)

All,

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the feedback. I've got some time to decide, overall, unless I decide to go for a 2008 model. Ideally I'd rather a 2009, but I am not sure if prices will go up substantially this year...

Prices did not increase between the 2007 and 2008 models, so we could be in for an increase. Also, with the dollar being what it is...it could also lead to higher prices.

Thoughts on waiting for a 2009 vice buying a late production 2008?

Thanks.

Chris
Appreciate 0