E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My clothing brand

06-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM11M View Post
Depends on what you class as a gentleman, classic idealistic gentleman that we all see in suit and ties, no not really.

But young men with an understand of how to be polite and generous and all the other things a gentleman would do then yes,

Do remember i'm trying to break the mold and stigma that a gentleman is one in suits etc, it can be anyone, so why not on the days at home or at the gym wear something comfortable yet represents your characteristics.
I wasn't thinking of suits and ties. More Hackett, Gant, etc....Quality but discreet. However if that's your direction I wish you the best of luck

Without sounding like I'm nit picking I think the way the T-Shirts look are laid out is poor and looks like someones bed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SE E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I wasn't thinking of suits and ties. More Hackett, Gant, etc....Quality but discreet. However if that's your direction I wish you the best of luck

Without sounding like I'm nit picking I think the way the T-Shirts look are laid out is poor and looks like someones bed.

Touche! There is that kind of attire too but i'm glad you see my direction too, simply put what fueled this was how I was kind of sick of how everything is ok to just get away with, younger guys (not all) dont hold doors for others, forget to respect the elder and so much more, I wanted to build something that could make a little change to the people that knew about it and hopefully bring back some of those polite things.

And in regards to that, I am currently working on a new mini studio for the clothing so that will all change soon hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Touche! how I was kind of sick of how everything is ok to just get away with, younger guys (not all) dont hold doors for others, forget to respect the elder and so much more,
I wish you all the best with that one. I hold doors for women and elders and you'd be amazed just how many don't even acknowledge you.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I wish you all the best with that one. I hold doors for women and elders and you'd be amazed just how many don't even acknowledge you.
Thank you appreciate it, and that is true as well, maybe they will start acknowledging it more with my vision too haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

To me, everything on there looks like it's aimed at young lads who walk round trying to talk like gangsta rappers, it's all a bit street wear and casual, not what I would associate with gentlemen. Remember the term gentlemen is hundreds of years old, and everyone has the same image of how it describes one.
To try and create a new image for the term is a huge undertaking that just won't take off enough for people to realise what message you're trying to get across
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
To me, everything on there looks like it's aimed at young lads who walk round trying to talk like gangsta rappers, it's all a bit street wear and casual, not what I would associate with gentlemen. Remember the term gentlemen is hundreds of years old, and everyone has the same image of how it describes one.
To try and create a new image for the term is a huge undertaking that just won't take off enough for people to realise what message you're trying to get across
Thanks for the feedback. I would disagree though, such labels like superdry and armani wouldn't be classed as gangsta rappers but similar to the market I am after. Its not about changing the image of a gentleman but adding another section of style for it.

But hey, challenge accepted
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I class superdry in the same league as primark these days, every man and their dog are wearing it! It's a common everyday high street brand.
Personally, my favourite label is stussy, I've been wearing it since 1990 and it's still relatively unknown.
In the 80s and 90s I used to wear airwalk and vans as they were underground skateboard footwear, now you can buy them in your average high street shoe shop and are very common. I stopped wearing about 20 years ago!

I'd aspire to something a bit more exclusive than superdry personally
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
From a purely pedantic point of view, in my opinion the brand name should be accurately punctuated. It's very fashionable to change our language to suit a particular trend or fad, such as the use of 'letz' instead of let's (let us), particularly when establishing a brand image. Over time language constantly evolves, but if you're aiming for a more upmarket feel, with an emphasis on being a gentleman, then brand the clothing accordingly and make accurate use of the apostrophe

Gentleman - singular
Gentlemen - plural
Gentlemen's Club - plural possessive

You would also benefit from having the 'About Us' section of your website proof-read.

A minor issue perhaps, but a true gentleman would understand the pedantry.

Good luck with your enterprise.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
I class superdry in the same league as primark these days, every man and their dog are wearing it! It's a common everyday high street brand.
Personally, my favourite label is stussy, I've been wearing it since 1990 and it's still relatively unknown.
In the 80s and 90s I used to wear airwalk and vans as they were underground skateboard footwear, now you can buy them in your average high street shoe shop and are very common. I stopped wearing about 20 years ago!

I'd aspire to something a bit more exclusive than superdry personally
I agree with what your saying about superdry and such, I can see your someone who likes the be wearing clothing no one else has as such. I wasn't saying I want to be like them at all. I am striving to do something different for sure. I'm very passionate about it and wish it does go on for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
From a purely pedantic point of view, in my opinion the brand name should be accurately punctuated. It's very fashionable to change our language to suit a particular trend or fad, such as the use of 'letz' instead of let's (let us), particularly when establishing a brand image. Over time language constantly evolves, but if you're aiming for a more upmarket feel, with an emphasis on being a gentleman, then brand the clothing accordingly and make accurate use of the apostrophe

Gentleman - singular
Gentlemen - plural
Gentlemen's Club - plural possessive

You would also benefit from having the 'About Us' section of your website proof-read.

A minor issue perhaps, but a true gentleman would understand the pedantry.

Good luck with your enterprise.
Haha well I don't mind that at all. Be as pedantic as you like sir. But I did it as more of a design and art point of view and to also be different, the whole idea is to do with new gentlemen so why not make a new word too

Also noted and spoken to my website guy to fix that for me, thank you for that heads up!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #33
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can see your someone who likes the be wearing clothing no one else has as such.
You've hit the nail on the head!
For as long as I can remember I have always had a pet hate for "common" labels.
If I'm spending a decent amount of cash on something I don't want to walk down the street and see someone else wearing it like a uniform!
That is exactly how I see Superdry for example, its easily the most common name I see when doing the school run every morning

Its a very hard thing to balanace, having an exclusive label yet trying to be successful at the same time sounds near impossible! Going back to Stussy, they seem to of perfected it. They are even very selective as to who they allow to be an official dealer, which is why some shops stocking it in the UK seem so expensive, they are importing them themselves!

I don't want you to think I was being negative in my previous posts, I just can't imagine how hard it is to create a brand/label from nothing, and I wish you all the luck in the world
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #34
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Had a quick look, saw you said you didn't want to be like what's on the market at the moment. Looks exactly like what you were saying you didn't want.

None of this is Gentlemen at all to me, printed logos and designs etc, isn't gentlemen, it's common.

It all seems nice designs, good website etc, but what you said you were trying to do feels like the opposite of what you have done. It's all far too shouty for a gentleman.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #35
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I like the website. Its good.

My only criticism on the website itself is the pictures of the products.
The white background should not be creased the way it is.
It makes it look much less professional than the rest of the site.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #36
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

@dest yeah there are a lot of people that have your style of thought, they want to have limited clothing, but thinking in terms of business as well, it would be great to be world wide, I just want to take things one step at a time for that now.

@Digitalize I see that you have missed that this is targeted to make a new type of gentleman, something targeted for younger males so to be more funky, if you saw the clothing in person with the materials etc you would all see why I say its something different.

@xPETEZx thanks for the commons, I am looking to change that as soon as possible once I can arrange for a hire of a professional camera then should be looking all set to do a new shoot!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You need to find a local shop to stock them, someone who deals in limited numbers and exclusive items.
I used to be very friendly with one similar in Peterborough in the 90's, their ethos was to only ever buy in 1 or 2 of any design, then you knew if you bought it the chances of seeing another locally were quite small and it helped add to the exclusivity
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Were I you, I'd pursue obtaining orders from small, local retailers who seek something that customers won't find all over the place. The look seems to have sufficient enough mass-market appeal, and as they are exclusively your designs, a retailer can have some degree of exclusivity. If you can't get an order initially, if you can negotiate something that gets your stuff window or some other valuable visibility in local (within 200 miles) shops, that might help.

Your website is fine, and the suggestions some folks here have offered may improve upon it, but I can't see you making the kind of money you want from individual sales to consumers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, its exactly what I am trying to do right now, I have been looking for smaller retailers to reach out to, anyone know of any in there local area then please do tell me
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #40
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The thing that hits me is price points.

If you are bringing out a label surely the whole aim is to get that label in as many stores as possible?

Now, your price points seem very much as though you are a manufacturer selling direct.
There is simply no room for anyone to make any money.
Next, Gap etc work on around 12x manufacturing cost, John Lewis, House of Fraser etc. work on around 2.8-4x purchase price.
That should give you an idea of where you want to be at price wise.

Asking people what they think of the brand on here is pretty pointless to be honest, you need to ask your target market, everyone's idea of what 'Gentlemens Club' means is different.
The gentlemen's club name will mean very different things to different people.
At a guess I would say that you are a young lad, probably not white, living in Birmingham or Bradford, maybe London? That to me seems like your target audience looking at that product.
You are asking a lot of 30-50 year old white guys who live in the sticks, what they think. Always going to give you a skewed answer that one.

Product looks fine, T-Shirts and Polo Shirts anyway, never a fan of Joggers, and many of the guys I buy from don't put them in their collections in case it gives the brand the wrong image, but what I would say about the tops is they look long in the body.
I sell the Hackett Polo really well, but the plain one, tiny little H on the breast, but it is fitted and short in the body, it sits on your belt line, the slightly looser one that is regular polo shirt length we simply can't sell.

If it were me doing it I would have put that range together and gone out to try and sell it wholesale.
Polo shirt at £45 selling to shops for £17, try and get 60 shops to put down a small £1500 order with you.
That is pretty doable.
Sell the 3 styles of Polo in 3 colours each and a size run of 1/s 2/m 2/l 1/xl 1/xxl and that is 63 pieces. That is just over a grand, add in 4 t shirts and sweatshirt and a hoody and you are at £2k.
Get that into 50 store (some will buy £3k or more) and you are at £100k first season, £200k for the year, make a 25% margain and you have earnt yourself £50,000 in year one. Double that year two and it is a good business.

Starting off with a website means it will be nothing more than a website selling a few t shirts and Polo shirts. You are shooting yourself in the foot before you have started.
The one thing any retailer hates is suppliers selling olnline, why do I want my biggest competitor to be my supplier??
I have dropped 7 brands over the last 3 years because of that. Be careful.

Decide where you really want to go with this and go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #41
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

Like the site. I'd only be interested in the Polos and good to see different logos.
Main thing that would make me 'inherit' a brand is durability and not see it bobble after one wash. I would pay extra for good quality
      06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #42
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
At a guess I would say that you are a young lad, probably not white, living in Birmingham or Bradford, maybe London? That to me seems like your target audience looking at that product.
I can tell you that nobody I know in the Bradford area wears anything that is any different to most cities! A certain sector of the yougsters tend to go for popular brand names; hoodies, t-shirts, tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps etc. There's a lot of fake labels around, but my daughter and her friends (21-23) tend to go for a lot of cheaper high street brands and spend money on handbags and nights out! Some of the wealthier kids tend to go for All Saints.

We have our fair share of 30-50 year old white affluent males as well!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #43
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
1. A Brothel

2. A club for rich older gentry to sit around smoking Havana's, drinking Cockburns, and playing pocket billiards when the cocktail waitress wafts by.

3. Lap dancing club

Quote:
You are asking a lot of 30-50 year old white guys who live in the sticks, what they think. Always going to give you a skewed answer that one.
Some of us are a little older than that, and do buy Joggers,but only to keep the incontinence pants in place

Good luck Tam

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I can tell you that nobody I know in the Bradford area wears anything that is any different to most cities! A certain sector of the yougsters tend to go for popular brand names; hoodies, t-shirts, tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps etc. There's a lot of fake labels around, but my daughter and her friends (21-23) tend to go for a lot of cheaper high street brands and spend money on handbags and nights out! Some of the wealthier kids tend to go for All Saints.

We have our fair share of 30-50 year old white affluent males as well!
Haha, I agree.
However I sell footwear to retailers all around the country and there is certainly a fair difference between looks depending on the location and the backgrounds of the residents.

Just living in Norfolk now compared with living in Leicester I dress differently, replicating your peers is a good thing imho.

If the OP is from Cornwall or Norfolk I will admit I must be a judgmental asshole, but I bet he is from one of the bigger cities with the design influences shown in his products.

My daughter is 18 and I don't think she has ever owned a pair of trainers other than for sport, she definitely hasn't owned a pair of joggers and I have only ever seen her in her school leavers hoody.
Had we stayed in Leicester would she have been much different? Probably not a lot, but definitely a little.

I have retailers that own shops 10 miles away from each other and they say the stock is so different you would think it is 10,000 miles gap between them.

I agree that most kids will buy the same stuff all over the UK, but the influence from what they see on the street will make a difference.
Appreciate 0