E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Someone tried to break into my 335i

11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
This is a little confusing. You detained him on your property but you or the police never found his weapon?
Nope, no one ever did.. that's what's confusing me because I saw him have a .38 snub nose in his hand when I came out and then it disappeared, I know I couldn't have been hallucinating. I couldn't see clearly as to where it was thrown but I heard it hit something when he did throw it
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
epic story.. BUT WTF u got charged 6k?!?!?! that's bs!!!
Yeah right? Its was the surprise of a lifetime -.-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixolution View Post
Should've replace your rubber bullets with real bullets.
I wasn't intending on killing the guy. Heavy riot control items such as rubber bullets, pepper paintballs, tasers, gases etc. Are more than enough to either stop someone or make then run away. If you have played paintball before with rubber practice paintballs, just imagine the pain x200. It is meant to knock a grown man on his ass no questions asked lol so I keep the rubber bullets next to the gun just in case someone breaks into my house or property. It won't kill them or maim them, it sure as hell will chase them off for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno77 View Post
Awesome story! its sucks that you had to pay 6k, I probably would of done the same thing as you.. But realistically .. It would of been cheaper for you to have him take parts lol .. You probably would of been in the hole for 500-1000 bucks... But I know who the hell wants their shit stolen from them
Yeah you're 100% correct on that, it would've been cheaper to let him steal the parts but the reason I didn't is so he doesn't think I was an easy score. Let's say I let him bust into my car clean with no one stopping him. Who am I to say he won't try my house next because if I was in his spot I'd think oh he's an easy score, I already broke into his nice car, I doubt he is gonna stop me from going into the house. They're weak.
If I let that happen, this story could've ended differently. Because it sure as hell wasn't an ordinary person. He was a tweaker lol I'm not even kidding. I sure would pay 6k any day to make sure the bastard or anyone he knows will never come around my area breaking into my car or house again. Was it worth it? Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
Maybe a lawyer will chime in and provide FACTS, but here's my understanding. I asked a DA about this once and here's what he told me.

You can only use the amount of force necessary to stop someone from seriously hurting you or someone else. That doesn't apply to your property.

If someone breaks into your home (through a door or window), in theory, the same rule applies, but in reality, it depends on the circumstances and jurisdiction. In other words, in theory, you can only use enough force to stop an attack that would do serious injury to you or someone else. But, in reality, you have more latitude. I even heard that if someone breaks into a home and a woman is home alone, she can shoot him and no one will bother her.

I hope a law enforcement official or DA will chime in and set us straight on this.
The cops that came said it was over the amount of force needed to detain an unarmed robber but who the hell is gonna check if he has a gun or not? I came out and he saw me so I popped him once and he dropped, he was about to get back up so I smacked him a few times with the rifle to keep him down

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
Kiwi29, epic! I always thought if someone breached into your property you were able to do anything to secure your own safety, I guess not. I'd be so pissed if that bastard tried to steal my car and I had to pay 6,000 to him, it's like I paid him to damage my property.
Nopee, you're able to do almost anything unless the person breaking in has a deadly weapon
I mean fck me being scared for my safety isn't a valid reason to use heavy force?! He could've left with a hole in his chest if I was the typical gun owner but noooooo they don't see it as being kind, they see it as torturous to the person. I think having a hole in you is more torture than being shot with a 12 gauge rubber slug...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
This is freaking EPIC!!!
But doesn't it make you think, is the democracy we live in really a democracy when a men gets ticketed for defending his family and property and the thief gets rewarded!?

Another question, was it worth it though?
There's no way I would be able to come up with that much money out of nowhere to pay that.
Was it worth it? HELLLLLL YEAAAAHHH I love those bullets lol finally I got to use it on someone and it felt like when you go paintballing and you hit the guy you aim for the first shot lol I didn't have to pay right away, I still haven't paid til this day hahaha it happen about last year summer time?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

A similar thing happened to me, I was staying at friends house, and a mechanic that I had a payment dispute with trespassed through his gate with a crowbar in hand, onto my friends property, he was approaching me and my car with the crowbar and verbally threatening me, I had a few pistols in a pelican case in my trunk, I spun around popped the trunk grabbed my kimber and put it on him, I demanded that he drop his weapon, and called the police, about a minute later two of his friends showed up to back him up, (they were also threatening me, one of them was a violent ex-con) luckily they were unarmed, I was able to keep them at bay- long story short it all worked out, but it could have been a lot worse, the police took about 30 minutes to show up, if I wouldn't have had a gun it would have been a lot worse, I may have been killed.

Last edited by kingofthedemo; 11-20-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Final wrap of costs:
Ticket = $6000
Rubber bullets = $200
Mirror casing = $300
Actually getting to use the bullet on someone and NOT miss the shot = priceless.
How's that for detailed? LOL
Definitely EPIC ! BTW...in Illinois they teach you in CCW class that you cannot shoot anyone (rubber bullet or real round) unless they are 100% inside the house, not one foot inside but all the way in, and you must also be inside versus standing outside, and there must be imminent danger. Yes, we have CCW classes although it is illegal in Illinois, go figure.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
delacruzAAe90
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

First before I begin, I apologize for the thread jack OP.
Well I got in trouble for a firearm being used to detain an "unarmed" person. He had a gun himself but I guess he tossed it or something when I shot him. Also, I never knew that you aren't suppose to have rubber "riot control" issued bullets. I mean hey, it doesn't kill?(well, if fired at correct areas it can) but they told me for having a rubber bean bag in my shotgun was illegal and I could've gone to jail if I did serious damage. I explained to the cops what happen and I still was fined for it (retarded right?) I was fined $6000 for protecting my property. My car is always kept behind the gate and he was on my property but did he get charged with breaking and entering without owners consent? NOPE! He instead got a fat check from me which ultimately I'm guessing he used to bail himself out of jail. "All" of my bullets were confiscated and I was to appear at court where the judge dropped the charge of using the firearm on an unarmed person and still had to pay 6000 for shooting him and whooping some ass on someone who obviously deserved it. What was he planning to do is what I asked him. Its not like he could've hotwired my car or stolen parts or anything.

When the cops came, which was under 1 minute being as I live about a mile away from the station, they came at me guns drawn with 5 cop cars and a Sargent. They asked me what happen I said, "This bastard broke into my gated driveway, broke my mirror piece to try and get in my car. The car was parked behind the gate so it is invisible to a person passing by. So when I found out there was someone destroying my property, I was scared for my life and my family's life as well so I grabbed my shotgun and loaded it with riot control bullets so I can stun him enough to keep him down until you guys arrived. I shot him because I thought he was going to break into my house and hurt my family and I."
They said he was "unarmed" and was heavily beaten... being as they had no proof he got the ass whooping of a lifetime from my rifle, they assumed I shot him multiple times. They asked the neighbors, which I am close with, about how many shots they heard. They all replied one and that they saw me detaining him. I'm sure my neighbors saw me whooping his ass but they kept quiet <3.
All I received from the police was a court notice to appear with the documentation of my gun registration along with the receipt of where the bullets where bought.
Of course china town doesn't give out receipts... so I made a deal and told them ill pay full ticket price right now if they don't ask for a receipt. Why? Because if they find out where I got the bullets, where the hell else am I gonna find someone who gives out riot issued stuff?! Of course him being my uncle doesn't help either lol.
Final wrap of costs:
Ticket = $6000
Rubber bullets = $200
Mirror casing = $300
Actually getting to use the bullet on someone and NOT miss the shot = priceless.
How's that for detailed? LOL[/QUOTE]
I would have done the same! I hate scumbags like that!

And for coryou I hope you get a good deal somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I came out and he saw me so I popped him once and he dropped, he was about to get back up so I smacked him a few times with the rifle to keep him down
This is probably what cost you six grand.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartic View Post
In Texas we have the castle doctrine, which allows me to use force necessary to protect my property and my family if someone breaks into my house.
PA has that too, and we recently extended it to our automotive vehicles. That's right car&gun lovers&owners, come to PA. Shoot mofos that mess with your vehicle, legally.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
This is probably what cost you six grand.
Hahaha yes you're probably right, was it excessive? If you seen how fast he got back up you wouldn't think so
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
That's right car&gun lovers&owners, come to PA. Shoot mofos that mess with your vehicle, legally.
i'm so there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobv84 View Post
Another reason to live in Texas indeed!
Haha! You guys got to this before me! My boss said this morning, (he's from Texas), that if it were him, he would have used real bullets and he would have been within the law. Hell! He said if it were his neighbor's car, he could still legally get away with shooting the mother fucker, lol.

Last edited by Tim M; 11-20-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
xe90x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Lol great story! Two pages of posts and so little help for OP. Poor guy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

OP: Looks like someone was trying to seal your mirrors but broke it, so they walked away. Take it somewhere and get a quote and go from there.

As for the OT stuff: I would strongly suggest that anyone reading this look up the laws in your state regarding use of deadly force. Some states allow you to use deadly force to protect property. I think Texas is one of them, but I'm not certain. The castle doctrine is another thing as I know in Florida if someone breaks into your house the presumption is that they are there to cause bodily harm, and therefore, you are permitted to use deadly force to protect yourself and others in your home - not just to protect your TV. Same goes for the extension of the castle doctrine to vehicles.

However, if someone is messing with your car as you are walking back to it in a parking lot, you aren't allowed to just shoot them (in Florida, at least). However, that can change if the guy decides to come at you as opposed to running away, and you fear for your life or fear of suffering great bodily harm.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Ouch... I had the same problem, the difference is I shot the guy with a rubber bullet and beat his ass and tied him up until the cops came *apologies for the language. (For future reference, definitely avoid this route, got in more trouble than it was worth)
When I went to the shop to get it fixed, they told me I needed a whole new mirror case for that side because they don't sell that part separately. Hopefully you're luckier than I was, the damn thing cost me $300. Good luck
for $300 that's worth every penny...

let me guess, you got into more trouble then the criminal correct?

EDIT: didn't read the whole thread, i bet i will find my answer if i read..

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
First before I begin, I apologize for the thread jack OP.
Well I got in trouble for a firearm being used to detain an "unarmed" person. He had a gun himself but I guess he tossed it or something when I shot him. Also, I never knew that you aren't suppose to have rubber "riot control" issued bullets. I mean hey, it doesn't kill?(well, if fired at correct areas it can) but they told me for having a rubber bean bag in my shotgun was illegal and I could've gone to jail if I did serious damage. I explained to the cops what happen and I still was fined for it (retarded right?) I was fined $6000 for protecting my property. My car is always kept behind the gate and he was on my property but did he get charged with breaking and entering without owners consent? NOPE! He instead got a fat check from me which ultimately I'm guessing he used to bail himself out of jail. "All" of my bullets were confiscated and I was to appear at court where the judge dropped the charge of using the firearm on an unarmed person and still had to pay 6000 for shooting him and whooping some ass on someone who obviously deserved it. What was he planning to do is what I asked him. Its not like he could've hotwired my car or stolen parts or anything.

When the cops came, which was under 1 minute being as I live about a mile away from the station, they came at me guns drawn with 5 cop cars and a Sargent. They asked me what happen I said, "This bastard broke into my gated driveway, broke my mirror piece to try and get in my car. The car was parked behind the gate so it is invisible to a person passing by. So when I found out there was someone destroying my property, I was scared for my life and my family's life as well so I grabbed my shotgun and loaded it with riot control bullets so I can stun him enough to keep him down until you guys arrived. I shot him because I thought he was going to break into my house and hurt my family and I."
They said he was "unarmed" and was heavily beaten... being as they had no proof he got the ass whooping of a lifetime from my rifle, they assumed I shot him multiple times. They asked the neighbors, which I am close with, about how many shots they heard. They all replied one and that they saw me detaining him. I'm sure my neighbors saw me whooping his ass but they kept quiet <3.
All I received from the police was a court notice to appear with the documentation of my gun registration along with the receipt of where the bullets where bought.
Of course china town doesn't give out receipts... so I made a deal and told them ill pay full ticket price right now if they don't ask for a receipt. Why? Because if they find out where I got the bullets, where the hell else am I gonna find someone who gives out riot issued stuff?! Of course him being my uncle doesn't help either lol.
Final wrap of costs:
Ticket = $6000
Rubber bullets = $200
Mirror casing = $300
How's that for detailed? LOL

This thread has delivered! Kudos to you my friend!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Kiwi29, sorry to hear about the fine but that must have been a seriously adrenaline pumping experience. I see no problem with your actions.

OP: sorry but I already forgot what your thread was about. The OT stuff was way to interesting!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
for $300 that's worth every penny...

let me guess, you got into more trouble then the criminal correct?

EDIT: didn't read the whole thread, i bet i will find my answer if i read..
Lol that is correct, I didn't expect the turnout that happen when I was served with papers to go to court! It was bs imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Kiwi29, sorry to hear about the fine but that must have been a seriously adrenaline pumping experience. I see no problem with your actions.

OP: sorry but I already forgot what your thread was about. The OT stuff was way to interesting!!!
OP's original concern was if he had to replace the side bracket for his mirror because someone tried to break into his car. I didn't think everyone would take so much interest in my story instead of helping the OP. SORRY OP I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN!
It was a true adrenaline rush, I felt like a badass for a sec lol who wouldn't? You shot a human with your weapon and dropped him with 1 quick aimed shot. I didn't see anything wrong neither but the cops surely did and so did the court
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #38
sathoro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Only time I've been in Vancouver our rental car was broken into. Not a great lasting impression

'10 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport | Premium | Cold Weather
Cobb AP Stage 1 | Alpina B3 TCU | DCI | CF Splitters | CF Performance Spoiler | CF Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #39
nesnith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

OP:

Someone broke my mirror assembly a few weeks back (sheered off at the joint where the assembly meets the door). I had to replace the entire mirror assembly (minus the glass). The entire assembly was ~460 at the dealer after some haggling.

The plastic part is attached to the assembly. The assembly is sold as one piece. You can't buy the parts individually (except the mirror and the plastic cover). So, it looks like you will have to replace the entire assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Props to you thread jacker. Your actions are only what I could dream of doing if someone was attacking my car. Too bad somebody didn't catch this on video.
      11-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
Props to you thread jacker. Too bad somebody didn't catch this on video.
Although homicidal thoughts would cross my mind if I caught someone messing with my car kiwi would probably be in jail if there was a video.
Appreciate 0