E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2012 XI Wagon Sport Suspension.... Not

06-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

2012 XI Wagon Sport Suspension.... Not

Just got back from my Euro delivery of a new 2012 XI wagon with sport package and manual transmission. Now while waiting for delivery to the states I am starting the process to look at suspension upgrades to the wagon.

As many of you know, the Xi wagon even with the sport package does not come with the sports suspension. This week, we had the pleasure of driving an E90 XI loaner with sport suspension. What a difference! It has been a couple of weeks but readily apparrent that the sports suspension package is a must have and drives so much better. I want to get as close as possible to the sports package.

So, questions:

1. Is there a difference in the steering between the sport and non sport package? I would swear the sport package steering effort is higher when I compare to my wagon. If so, does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade?

2. What are the recommended spring shock packages that would work with the wagon? A lot of the options out there are not for wagons.

3. Does the sports package have higher rate roll bars than the non sports package?

Thanks!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
rbeck
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xiT

xi sport suspension

Do any of the xi's come with a sport suspension when equipped with the sport package?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I thought it was just the wagon that didn't get the sport suspension. Maybe it's the weight of the wagon, plus the full load with my family in tow that made the difference. Just felt like the sedan is significantly stiffer suspension, but like I said it's been a couple of weeks since I've been back and my wagon is in the middle of the Atlantic right now so I can't compare in real time.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

No such thing as an Xi sport suspension, on any body.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK- thought that the sedan and coupe were different. Difference I felt must be all due to weight.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

There was a guy recently who puts some Eibach (iirc) "lowering" springs on his wagon, and noticed very little drop compared to stock. Since there are no such things as xi springs from eibach he just used those for non-xi's.

We were theorizing that it may have been that since the wagon has a higher rated load capacity, the factory springs were already stiffer & different length than xi sedan/coupe to maintain ride height etc while loaded. They are not same part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's the thing isn't it?

The wagon suspension is difficult to strike the right balance. The wagon suspension has to carry more weight and handle more luggage weight than a coupe or sedan - so track oriented setups are not what I'm looking for. I have a track car (see avatar) for that.

I want a good everyday driver that handles well, but can also take on the trip up the mountain with for passengers and all their gear as well. Firmer shocks and springs, maybe stiffer sways are what I'm looking for, coilovers will be too compromised to handle full passenger+gear of a wagon IMHO, but I'm willing to listen to user opinions.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
boredsports
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post

The wagon suspension is difficult to strike the right balance. The wagon suspension has to carry more weight and handle more luggage weight than a coupe or sedan - so track oriented setups are not what I'm looking for. I have a track car (see avatar) for that.

I want a good everyday driver that handles well, but can also take on the trip up the mountain with for passengers and all their gear as well. Firmer shocks and springs, maybe stiffer sways are what I'm looking for, coilovers will be too compromised to handle full passenger+gear of a wagon IMHO, but I'm willing to listen to user opinions.
I'm in the same boat with my Xi wagon. I'm leaning towards sport shocks and springs and maybe stiffer sways as well... Not interested in coilovers.

I'll keep tabs on this thread and pass on anything I find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post

Well it may be that just adding sport shocks like the koni or bilstein sports on stock springs is a big improvement in handling with little practical compromise. Since the springs are what determine ride height and load capacity, and the shocks (and sway bars) have more to do with transition dynamics, maybe that's the right combo for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
boredsports
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi

I took the first step and ordered a set of koni yellows. Now debating which springs to get. I'm kinda leaning towards the Eibach pro kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
No such thing as an Xi sport suspension, on any body.
^
Appreciate 0