E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shifting to 2nd My solution

12-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
LncGmz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i JB4 G5 DCI

Smile Shifting to 2nd My solution

So I know this has been discussed and I'm still getting acclimated to my 07 335i with JB4 map 5 and DCI for now. Anyway, I've done some searches and it seemed like a lot of people were having a hard time shifting into second at or above 6k RPM. I tried to do some more research to see if anyone had found a solution before I posted this so please forgive me if I'm repeating anyone else. This is from my own personal experience, which I don't have a ton. I'm Still learning. I noticed before I installed the JB4 I wasn't having this issue or none that I noticed until I got the extra power from the JB4.

With the the DSC on (mode the vehicle starts in) or DTC on (push button briefly) the car would shift fine at or above 6k RPM. With DSC completely off (pushing button for about 4 seconds) the car would not let me shift into second. I was clueless at first until I knew it couldn't be a synchro bc I'm not even getting a grinding noise and bc with the DSC and DTC on it would shift fine at those RPM's. So I toyed around with the DSC completely off. I noticed if you have your RPM's bouncing up and down the rev limiter the transmission or computer locks you out from shifting into 2nd, I'm assuming this is to protect the transmission from absorbing too much shock, but under a more controlled or consistent RPM it will let you throw it right into 2nd without much force. I did a few dig runs to test this out and it worked fine. The first few runs I went all out and just dropped the clutch and let my RPM's bounce around until it wasn't bouncing off the rev limiter and I had no problem shifting. The other runs I toyed around with feathering the clutch, which would be the more proper way to do this to control the RPM's better. Both of the techniques I used seemed to work fine for me. It seems to lock you out from 2nd if you have excessive wheel spin, which is why it would make sense with DSC and DTC on, it works fine shifting into 2nd bc the wheel spin is more controlled. I know with DTC it still allows most wheels spin, but it's still more controlled. So essentially I guess I'm letting the engine and transmission catch up to each other. Maybe there is a proper name for this?

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there and maybe it will help someone. I'm no expert with terms and don't claim for anything I said to be completely accurate. I just wanted to speak from my own experience. If you have your own technique share it please. If you have done this and it solved your issue let us know. It definitely solved mine!

Thanks for reading!

Lance

Last edited by LncGmz; 12-29-2012 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: corrections
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

That might be a possible solution but I don't think it works for me. I have that 2nd gear issue too and i'm xi so I can't imagine I have too much wheelspin
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
LncGmz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Does it happen in any mode for you? I went out last night to replicate the issue again and I still can't shift if my RPM's are bouncing around. I can't imagine you having much wheelspin either.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You've just got to focus on making the shift smooth first, then worry about making it fast. Grab 2nd right before hitting the limiter. It takes a little practice but it gets easy once you get used to it.
      12-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

With just a JB4 and DCI I would be shifting around 6300 rpms's instead of bouncing the car off the rev limiter. Get some stickier tires when you go fom a dig so you dont "bounce" off the rev limiter or feather the throttle. I couldnt imagine it being good for the motor or turbos from bouncing off the rev limiter.. just my 2cents
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
LncGmz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
You've just got to focus on making the shift smooth first, then worry about making it fast. Grab 2nd right before hitting the limiter. It takes a little practice but it gets easy once you get used to it.
Thats some sound advice and you are right it hards to catch it at the right rpm bc they shoot up so fast. Then plus running on the RFT's doesn't help one bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
LncGmz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
With just a JB4 and DCI I would be shifting around 6300 rpm's instead of bouncing the car off the rev limiter. Get some stickier tires when you go from a dig so you don't "bounce" off the rev limiter or feather the throttle. I couldn't imagine it being good for the motor or turbos from bouncing off the rev limiter.. just my 2cents
Yes, stickier tires are the plan. Not trying to bounce off the rev limiter it's just that the tires don't stick and by the time you know it the RPM's are at 6-7k. I can floor it from a rolling start in 3rd gear and lose traction on these smooth paved roads. The weather in my part of Texas isn't helping either and being winter time it's been around 25-45 at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

The issue isn't a physical block into 2nd. Its just hard to do or grinds for some. I don't have any problem with it personally since I have been driving this car for a while and figured it out. The physical block from the rev limiter isn't surprising, but you really shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter anyway, if you are you're doing it wrong. Best performance with stock turbos on this car you will be shifting around 6300rpm.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The solution is to get a WOTbox or use no lift shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
The solution is to get a WOTbox or use no lift shift.
Its still clunky, but I agree that's the way to performance shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by LncGmz View Post
Yes, stickier tires are the plan. Not trying to bounce off the rev limiter it's just that the tires don't stick and by the time you know it the RPM's are at 6-7k. I can floor it from a rolling start in 3rd gear and lose traction on these smooth paved roads. The weather in my part of Texas isn't helping either and being winter time it's been around 25-45 at night.
I live in Texas as well and wow does this car love the cold weather!!! I had to change my max boost limit because I kept hitting the boost limit I have set and the car would go to 7psi across the board until I turn it off and turn it on. With my E85 content and given mods, the turbos really like this weather Logs look incredible too after even 4 or 5 hard 4-5th gear pulls... in 3rd on a regular rode going WOT, forget about any type of traction Just the ass end stepping out atleast half way thru 3rd I cant even think about launching the car off the line or even a 2nd gear pull because all it does it roast the tires which is a good thing in my opinion The car feels totally different in these temperatures and this is where the LSD really helps out by putting the power to the ground in an equal way to where the car is controllable
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I've always had this problem as I used to shift at 6500rpm. I'm an xi btw. I had installed BMW perf ssk and UUC and they both made it worst. Went back to stock shifter, and I now switch gears at 6000rpm. Greatly improved on drag strip. And I've hit my best times. Another thing I do when I'm at the strip about to take off, I go into 1st and 2nd a couple of times. Someone told me it aligns the tranny and it actually works.