E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Ball Joint Replacement problem

01-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
eaglerock
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D E91

Rear Ball Joint Replacement problem

Hey everyone, My E91 318D has been making a bad noise from the back for a couple of weeks now, so after visiting my trusted mechanic he said that it is a common problem with BMWs and that the bushing needed replacing.

I got the part from the dealer couple of days ago "#33326792553", But then today when i went to my mechanic to fix it a big problem appeared.

He have the tool that can extract the old one out so he did that, he cleaned the hole and it looked good,
then he started to put the new one in, but it was just loose inside the hole. you can just slide it in and out with your hands.

He was not sure on what is the problem as the part looks identical to the old one we took out " which was very difficult to extract"

So i went to the dealer to make sure that i got the right part, they checked for a while and they said that they are 100% sure it is the right one.

They gave me another one to try anyway, just in case the older one they sold me had a defect.
I also bought one from another suppler hoping that any of them can fit "#33326756249"

While searching the web i only found this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/SUSPEN-Rear_Ball_Joint_Replacement.htm
If you notice the comments, island road seems to have the exactly the same problem.

As you can see from the picture, the bushing is just lose so it doesn't sit in the middle like it should.

Any one have encountered this problem before or got any information on what could be the reason ? i'm really hoping that it is not the wheel carrier.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you all

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Sounds like it may have had an aftermarket part in there.

We see this ALL the time on Honda/Acura. People put an aftermarket ball joint in (joint gets pressed into knuckle) which is quite often a little oversized, and stretches the knuckle a bit. If that wears out, and you try and put an OE ball joint in, it will be loose in the knuckle. Only way to fix it is to install a complete new knuckle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
eaglerock
Rep

i just checked the old ball joint and i'm 99% sure that it is an original part as it is identical to the one they sold to me, same numbers printed on both sides too.

I'm not sure if the previous owner have changed it before but it was very rusty and in very bad shape, so maybe it was the first time it got changed?

A new knuckle will cost 600€ only for parts + the work, I'm scared
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
eaglerock
Rep

Here is a video i recorded of the problem https://youtu.be/bJeybZFg9OE
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

We see this ALL the time on Honda/Acura. People put an aftermarket ball joint in (joint gets pressed into knuckle) which is quite often a little oversized, and stretches the knuckle a bit. If that wears out, and you try and put an OE ball joint in, it will be loose in the knuckle. Only way to fix it is to install a complete new knuckle.
Pretty much impossible to "stretch" the knuckle since the assembly is designed for the bushing to collapse.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:

Pretty much impossible to "stretch" the knuckle since the assembly is designed for the bushing to collapse.
Nope. Very easy. Happens all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Very easy. Happens all the time.
I have been working on cars for a while and never came a cross stretched knuckle.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I have been working on cars for a while and never came a cross stretched knuckle.
I do this for a living. I have seen it at least 30 times.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
eaglerock
Rep

Just wanted to update. i went to my mechanic today to fix this issue.

The second bushing that BMW provided had the same problem, but then #33326756249 that i bought from another suppler was a perfect fit.

BMW didn't really know what could be the problem but as the part that did fit is old one they thought maybe my wheel carrier was an older version ? not sure

But i'm very happy that it fits and i don't need to worry about changing the wheel carrier.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
Just wanted to update. i went to my mechanic today to fix this issue.

The second bushing that BMW provided had the same problem, but then #33326756249 that i bought from another suppler was a perfect fit.

BMW didn't really know what could be the problem but as the part that did fit is old one they thought maybe my wheel carrier was an older version ? not sure

But i'm very happy that it fits and i don't need to worry about changing the wheel carrier.
That is what I was thinking too. I have seen bent carriers but never with enlarged bushing opening. I'm glad your car is back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Hi eaglerock, can you post or pm me the link to the part you ordered that ended up working? I have the exact same problem where the parts I ordered from rock auto are undersized and loose in the hub carrier. When measuring the old part and new part the new part is smaller in diameter by about 0.005" crazy! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Thats really odd. You would think that BMW would have the right part. I personally stay away from the "stealership" so I am not paying the BMW tax. I order almost all of my parts from FCP Euro and have never had a problem. You get a lifetime warranty too.
Appreciate 1
fazman681.00
      11-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I got the Lemforder rear ball joints from FCP Euro and they fit correctly. I ordered on Friday and got them today. Pretty awesome service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Thats really odd. You would think that BMW would have the right part. I personally stay away from the "stealership" so I am not paying the BMW tax. I order almost all of my parts from FCP Euro and have never had a problem. You get a lifetime warranty too.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
I got the Lemforder rear ball joints from FCP Euro and they fit correctly. I ordered on Friday and got them today. Pretty awesome service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Lemforder is always a good bet. They are the oem supplier for most of the suspension parts in the e90. The best part is that you don't pay the bmw tax.

My humble advice is to always change out bushings in pairs. If you do the driver's side, then do the passenger side too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
KeelinE90D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 320D

Hi everyone I seemed to have the same problem as the original poster. I tried the lemforder brand along with optimal, febi and trw. Neither would fit. I found a brand called ETS not the world's best brand but they manufacture the ball joints to a diameter of 0.2mm larger then oem. I got my hands on two and fit like a dream. Saved me changing the carriers on both side. Here's a link I hope it helps someone else https://www.etsauto.com/en/p/suspension-bushing_28643
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
Mistajay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Powerflex sold a kit for street or track and they are lifetime warranty

Mine have arround 10 000 miles and for the moment they are working great
Appreciate 0