E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP: Brake service will not reset

07-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

HELP: Brake service will not reset

New 08 335i manual owner... Love the car, and great forum site

I purchased the car recetly and when fooling around with the instruments... can't help it... i accidentally reset the front and rear brake service requirment. Now it's showing dashes and brake service in red, along with brake indicator lit continuously. After reviewing the DIY for the brake reset, I tried again and no results.

Took it into the dealer, they tried resetting, and then a "battery disconnect reset" or something similar... although all bluetooth, time, and radio presets were not reset. They replaced the brake sensors and still could not reset it. They then stated that there was some crunge in the sensors and the car could have been sitting in water and caused small short... i highly doubt this. Because the problem happened after i accidentally reset.

My thought is on a true reset you need to change the rotors (maybe along with sensors). you are not required to change rotors and sensors with brake service... only rotors right and then the sensors read a new resistance???

Any advise on next step in properly resetting brake service?? Thanks

Last edited by Joshboody; 07-06-2009 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: spelling/wording
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
I was able to reset the brake service indicator (brake fluid change at 2 years) for a member here using the Bavarian Technic tool. It's very straight forward for all the condition based service areas.

I'm going to go hook it up to my car, because I'm due for the brake fluid service soon and want to put it off. I just replaced the brake pads and sensors last week so I will check out what they look like in the BT tool, take a screen print and post it here.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Here is an example of the Condition Based Service screen in the BT tool:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

I'm sure BMW dealer used a tool similar to this and could not reset the brake services. A reset using this tool is the same as a reset via dash I would think... the tool is just more informative, and you have more access.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So to answer your original question. You don't have to replace rotors when doing the brake service unless they are worn beyond spec or warped. You can either replace them or get them turned to take the warp out of them.

The sensors need to be replaced because they wear away as the brake pads wear down to the minimum thickness.

Not sure what you did to reset the brake service indicators. But the sensors will trigger the brake replacement indicator. The service indicators are estimates on when the brakes need service not the actual time they need service.

SoCalTech described the system in a post some time ago that explained the sensors are two-stage, where they break one wire in the sensor, and the computer stores that info, and recalibrates the service indicator to calculate the estimated mileage the brake will need to be replaced at. It looks like maybe you reset the service indicator after the first stage of the sensor was passed and now the computer can't figure out where your brakes are regarding wear.
Appreciate 0