E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > cel after euro box intake or maf issue?

11-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

cel after euro box intake or maf issue?

I just had the euro box installed about 10 days ago and for some reason i keep getting the CEL repeatedly coming back even after i had cleared them 3 times so far.

My car is having this weird idle surge where I'm parked and the rpms will jump to 800-900 then the cel will popup right after. RPMs will settle back down after a few seconds. This seems to only happen when I'm parked outside idling..

Never had this issue before the intake. I did however snap the locking clip on the maf when trying to remove so not sure if that could have messed it up. It still seats very tightly with the connector though and I have it taped atm. I did order a new maf so I'm hoping thats the issue, should get it within the next week. If it still persists not sure what it could be

I also have the rev silicone and had the carbon filter delete mod and ran it before with no issues as well (don't have stock airbox anymore as I traded it). Also tried cleaning maf and connectors with no luck.

Codes are:

2D29: Differential-pressure sensor, intake manifold: plausibility
29E0: Mixture control
29E1: Mixture Control 2
2d06: Air-mass system

Car is 2011 323i with 74K km. Would appreciate any insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
N54_e90
Don
Rep

I should also note I double and triple checked all hoses up until the throttle body (everything is tight as a drum) and even reset my adaptions with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
justrokkit
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM E91 xDrive

It's likely that the sensor element is fouled.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

What happens when you swap back to original setup?

If issues persist, something may have gotten damaged. If not, there may be an error in the installation somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I think you have a vacuum leak - or something isn't plugged in. I'd start with the MAP sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I think you have a vacuum leak - or something isn't plugged in. I'd start with the MAP sensor.
I triple checked everything is tight with minimal play. Where is the MAP sesnsor? Is that different from the maf?

I don't have the stock airbox anymore so can't swap it back. I have a new maf on the way so hopefully thats it.

Besides the CEL and slight idle issue the car drives and pulls fine with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
You reused the MAF sensor from your stock intake right? The one that usually comes with euro boxes won't work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
You reused the MAF sensor from your stock intake right? The one that usually comes with euro boxes won't work.
Yeap same maf.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
justrokkit
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM E91 xDrive

Sorry, I meant MAF
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedon View Post
I triple checked everything is tight with minimal play. Where is the MAP sesnsor? Is that different from the maf?

I don't have the stock airbox anymore so can't swap it back. I have a new maf on the way so hopefully thats it.

Besides the CEL and slight idle issue the car drives and pulls fine with no issues.
Well, obviously something is wrong - otherwise you wouldn't have a CEL.

the MAP sensor is on the manifold, driver side towards the back. It's probably buried in all the plastic bullshit covers BMW uses - I'd check to see if the connector is plugged in. An implausible signal to me sounds like it's not connected.

Personally I highly doubt the MAF has suddenly failed, but it could be. Even if the MAF was completely dead it wouldn't cause a MAP sensor plausibility error though..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Well, obviously something is wrong - otherwise you wouldn't have a CEL.

the MAP sensor is on the manifold, driver side towards the back. It's probably buried in all the plastic bullshit covers BMW uses - I'd check to see if the connector is plugged in. An implausible signal to me sounds like it's not connected.

Personally I highly doubt the MAF has suddenly failed, but it could be. Even if the MAF was completely dead it wouldn't cause a MAP sensor plausibility error though..
LOL for sure I feel you. I checked out the plugs there and everything seems to be fine there, plus I didn't touch those connections so I don't see how they suddenly would become loose or the MAP sensor would eff up.

I did however unpluf the maf during idle and noticed there was no idle sure.. it was idling smoothly, which is leading me more towards the maf. I had a friend scan the codes again and there seems to be more codes though lol.. not sure if that has to do with me unplugging the maf while the car was on? I took pictures and in the process of translating because its in german but if anyone can provide insight on what the numbers mean that would be appreciated

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Seems like its more codes relating to the MAF and IAT Sensor. It is reading that there is too much air, and causing the lean codes as a result.

In the last picture, I believe my air mass ratio is 16.00, which is too high? So is this the reason I am getting these codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
xwilkinx
Straight Edge
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 • E92 M3

When I had my 328i I had a similar issue.

After I installed the euro box I would get either all 3 or a combination of 2D29, 29E0, 29E1 every few weeks for the first 2 months of having it.

After a while it just stopped and I had no issues afterwards.
2013 F10 M5 / 2011 E92 M3 / 2009 E92 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwilkinx View Post
When I had my 328i I had a similar issue.

After I installed the euro box I would get either all 3 or a combination of 2D29, 29E0, 29E1 every few weeks for the first 2 months of having it.

After a while it just stopped and I had no issues afterwards.
Lol hows the M3?

Did you also have an idle surge/flutter issue? Is it just the maf reading too much air? Because I also doubt the maf just went faulty or something else happened as a result.

I cleared codes 3 times and reset adaptions twice. And all times the codes were cleared they come back a day later. When I cleared it earlier this week it didn't come back for 2 days and I thought iy was good until bam.. it came back. The idle just jumps and cel shows. Always happens when im idling only outside
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #15
xwilkinx
Straight Edge
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 • E92 M3

Quote:
Lol hows the M3?

Did you also have an idle surge/flutter issue? Is it just the maf reading too much air? Because I also doubt the maf just went faulty or something else happened as a result.

I cleared codes 3 times and reset adaptions twice. And all times the codes were cleared they come back a day later. When I cleared it earlier this week it didn't come back for 2 days and I thought iy was good until bam.. it came back. The idle just jumps and cel shows. Always happens when im idling only outside
It's awesome.

I would have the occasional rough idle but very rarely and it wasn't too bad. To be fair I had the same idle issue before the euro airbox so it was probably the MAF sensor. Try cleaning the sensor and see how it goes.

I also got tired of clearing those codes too so I just left them and the CEL went away on its own a few starts later (and never came back).
2013 F10 M5 / 2011 E92 M3 / 2009 E92 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #16
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwilkinx View Post
It's awesome.

I would have the occasional rough idle but very rarely and it wasn't too bad. To be fair I had the same idle issue before the euro airbox so it was probably the MAF sensor. Try cleaning the sensor and see how it goes.

I also got tired of clearing those codes too so I just left them and the CEL went away on its own a few starts later (and never came back).
Great to hear! Enjoy!

Sucks about the CEL, 95% of people never had a problem, and I guess a few people did but it mostly went away for them after a short time. Maybe the car just needs more time to adapt? Although its been almost 2 weeks and I've driven close to 1000 KM since and reset adaptions twice.

I'm picking up another stock airbox tomorrow for cheap and resetting the codes/adaptions again to see if I can rule out the MAF.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
luckyJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Where did u guys find used euro air boxes?

Cheapest used on ebay r over $300?

I've paid about $100 for air-cooled Porsche used air boxes so can't get my head around some of these part prices for BMWs...

Isn't the most important part of the airbox the MAF sensor?...Obviously the Euro version allows more air to enter the intake, but if the sensor doesn't account for this than what significance does having a Euro version airbox have for US MAFs?....is there a way to re-code the ECU to account for the increased air flow?

or is it possible to use a Euro MAF sensor on a US car by rewiring?

from reading other experiences...so after a few weeks of driving, the car will "learn" the change in air-flow, and thus no more error codes?

1997 993 Targa...sold
1991 964 C4....sold

Last edited by luckyJ; 11-14-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #18
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Great to hear! Enjoy!

Sucks about the CEL, 95% of people never had a problem, and I guess a few people did but it mostly went away for them after a short time. Maybe the car just needs more time to adapt? Although its been almost 2 weeks and I've driven close to 1000 KM since and reset adaptions twice.

I'm picking up another stock airbox tomorrow for cheap and resetting the codes/adaptions again to see if I can rule out the MAF.
All those codes are electrical and about MAF or Intake air sensor. The Intake Air Sensor is part of the MAF sensor body, two of the wires on the connector to MAF go to intake air sensor.

Just a thought, is it possible you connected the cable 180 degrees off? You shouldn't be able to do it, but I don't know either that, or the MAF and the Intake air sensor on it at the same time gone bad. Or worse case the ECU gone bad, but again both MAF reader and IAT (intake air sensor) reader circuitry going bad at ECU is not high possibility.

Your air intake temperature readings in the codes are -40 Celcious and one time -48 Celcious, where as your air temperature much higher than that given in one of the codes.
Even if those arctic temperatures in your intake were not reported, one code is explicitly saying the intake air sensor is short circuited to positive battery voltage. (ansauglufttemperatursensor, Kurzschluss nach plus)

I don't know any German, all google translation.

And you had lean codes before, now you have fat "emisch zu fett" i.e. rich codes, can't have them all together with vacuum leak.
And again computer is explicitly complaining about electrical problems on MAF (in addition to intake air temperature), 2D06, and others .

Make sure your connection is correct on the MAF, make sure you didn't pinch any wires inside the cable, make sure the connections are tight and well made. If still not working, get a new MAF, and don't pay for BMW sign tax, buy the VDO/Continental one, exact same thing without BMW logo.

Edit: There is also possibility that the connector and pins got worn out and dirty, and with the new euro box the cables has to bend differently than the original box and the original bend it had acquired, causing physical pull stress on the already worn out connector, not making the pins get good connection.
See this one for some idea:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304563
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #19
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
. When I cleared it earlier this week it didn't come back for 2 days and I thought iy was good until bam.. it came back. The idle just jumps and cel shows. Always happens when im idling only outside
I hadn't read this one before I posted my previous reply. To me this is pointing in the direction of some loose/dirty connector issue at the MAF cable and sensor.
See my thread I posted link in my previous reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyJ View Post
Where did u guys find used euro air boxes?

Cheapest used on ebay r over $300?

I've paid about $100 for air-cooled Porsche used air boxes so can't get my head around some of these part prices for BMWs...

Isn't the most important part of the airbox the MAF sensor?...Obviously the Euro version allows more air to enter the intake, but if the sensor doesn't account for this than what significance does having a Euro version airbox have for US MAFs?....is there a way to re-code the ECU to account for the increased air flow?

or is it possible to use a Euro MAF sensor on a US car by rewiring?

from reading other experiences...so after a few weeks of driving, the car will "learn" the change in air-flow, and thus no more error codes?
I got mine from xwilkinx lol

Yea thats what I am thinking, the maf is just reading too much air and it is throwing a code because it is out of range.. I don't even think my maf is faulty at all.

That is also what I assumed, that the car will eventually adapt and correct the AFRs accordingly, but still after 2 weeks it hasn't corrected itself. Not sure why.

I'm thinking maybe it needs a tune? would that be able to correct the issue? anyone heard of eurocharged? they have the tune for the 323i n52: http://eurocharged.ca/product/bmw-e9...gine-software/
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
N54_e90
Don
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
All those codes are electrical and about MAF or Intake air sensor. The Intake Air Sensor is part of the MAF sensor body, two of the wires on the connector to MAF go to intake air sensor.

Just a thought, is it possible you connected the cable 180 degrees off? You shouldn't be able to do it, but I don't know either that, or the MAF and the Intake air sensor on it at the same time gone bad. Or worse case the ECU gone bad, but again both MAF reader and IAT (intake air sensor) reader circuitry going bad at ECU is not high possibility.

Your air intake temperature readings in the codes are -40 Celcious and one time -48 Celcious, where as your air temperature much higher than that given in one of the codes.
Even if those arctic temperatures in your intake were not reported, one code is explicitly saying the intake air sensor is short circuited to positive battery voltage. (ansauglufttemperatursensor, Kurzschluss nach plus)

I don't know any German, all google translation.

And you had lean codes before, now you have fat "emisch zu fett" i.e. rich codes, can't have them all together with vacuum leak.
And again computer is explicitly complaining about electrical problems on MAF (in addition to intake air temperature), 2D06, and others .

Make sure your connection is correct on the MAF, make sure you didn't pinch any wires inside the cable, make sure the connections are tight and well made. If still not working, get a new MAF, and don't pay for BMW sign tax, buy the VDO/Continental one, exact same thing without BMW logo.

Edit: There is also possibility that the connector and pins got worn out and dirty, and with the new euro box the cables has to bend differently than the original box and the original bend it had acquired, causing physical pull stress on the already worn out connector, not making the pins get good connection.
See this one for some idea:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304563
hey dude yea i actually seen your post lol, I was going to do it as a last resort if putting back stock box plus a new maf didnt work. I called my local bmw and they quoted me $73 for those parts lol..

Also the electrical error codes pertaining to the maf and IAT I'm pretty sure are a result of me unplugging the maf and driving it around for a bit which also resulted in the car running rich hence the rich codes
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
N54_e90
Don
Rep

So guys guess what. Put a stock airbix back on and driving for about a day and all the codes are gone now and no idle issue.. lmao.
Appreciate 0