E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Explain the difference Coilover vs. Springs

12-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
MichaelATL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Question Explain the difference Coilover vs. Springs

Guys, I have the OEM Sports Package so I have a little drop (0.6"). I would like to drop it another 0.5" +/- a tenth or so.

Would H&R sport springs be my best option? I only want a marginal drop. Nothing much. If I get the H&R springs will the shocks be under more stress since they will be compressed that extra half inch all the time?

Why would I get coilovers vs. springs? What do coilovers do? Are coilovers just adjustable springs?

Basically what I want is a total 1 to 1.2 inch drop while maintaining a respectable ride quality.

Thanks everyone in advance! I know I asked a lot!

Last edited by MichaelATL; 12-22-2006 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
ALTWheelsE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
You're more cost effective choice is the springs, considering you do not want an aggressive drop. The H&R sport springs would be perfectly fine for you. Your factory shocks will not be affected too much with the new lowered stance, since it is so minimal.

Coilovers are a fully adjustable suspension where you can adjust the car height based upon where you set it at, and they often come with adjustable shocks that you can adjust to further stiffen your ride. Advantage of spending the $$$ on these is if you do any further mods, such as a body kit or get bored of your wheels and regularly change your wheels (say yearly), you can adjust your car height to compensate for the new mods depending on your liking.
`07 BMW 3 Series Sedan + 2 Turbos + H&R Race Springs + 19 inch staggered gold center/polish lip wheels = (Damn, I need more mods because I bought the car with no options and my car feels a lil naked!!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

h&r sports should fit your likings perfectly, ive put on h&r sports on my e92 for 2 months now, and it feels great!

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
taichimaster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

Is an alignment needed everytime you adjust the car height of the coilover? Cuz I read from other threads that an alignment is recommended 1 week after springs have been installed and stuff.
Mods: V-Kool Tint | Hartge Front Lip | Blacklines | M-Sport Steering Wheel | 19" Linea Corse Z2S | KW Variant 2 | OEM Aluminum pedals | OEM Short Shift Knob | Rear Foglights Mod | Happy Robot Mod | Valentine 1 (hard-wired) | Zeckhausen CDV | LUX 2.0 | GruppeM Replica Intake | Remus PowerSound 2x76mm
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
m3power13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik
h&r sports should fit your likings perfectly, ive put on h&r sports on my e92 for 2 months now, and it feels great!

Pictures of your car please??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3power13
Pictures of your car please??
Here you go! Sorry, I don't have any pre-drop pics, but i am sure you can find pics on the forum somewhere

I am putting on 12mm spacers in the back tomorrow, maybe i can post pics up for that too...

Front wheels:

Rear wheels:

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #7
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichimaster
Is an alignment needed everytime you adjust the car height of the coilover? Cuz I read from other threads that an alignment is recommended 1 week after springs have been installed and stuff.
Yes, an alignment is needed everytime you alter the height of the car as the toe,camber, and cast will not be the same anymore.
The reason they say to wait 1 week after spring install is so it settles down a bit first. Depending on what type of springs, it will either sit down a bit lower after a short period of time, or it may not go any lower at all.

Spring is the cheapest way to lower a car and give it an aggressive stance. However if you are into tracking the car and/or auto x'ing, coilover is the way to go. I have been to several shops that are dubbed suspension gurus, and compete in such competitions as "American Touge", and other factors with coilover comes into play such as corner weighing and laser alignment.

But just for daily driving, springs and a regular alignment should be fine. Of course, the task now after you're lowered is to find a shop with an alignment rack friendly towards lowered cars, lol. This can be quite a difficult task, depending on where you live.
Appreciate 0