E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 HPFP recall issues get national news coverage

10-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #67
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

a few deaths combined with what the public would consider arrogance by not fixing the problem could bankrupt the company, lets hope that doesn't happen, for everyone's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by D335I View Post
It may take a few deaths before they do anything that will put this to rest. I'm more concerned with the turbos/waste gate and injector issues, fuel pumps are almost cheap in comparison.

Bad publicity, a damaged badge and a big hit in sales may also make them step up and they IMO deserve it.

Would you suggest a loved one buy a N54 car, I would not, not now. On the other hand it could be such a bad ass car but I think they F..ed this one up.

Just heard the new Audi S4's have a recall on their water pumps and Toyota is recalling a few new items.

BMW should step up and this is what pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #68
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

In my opinion, I think many people are taking the severity of the HPFP problems a little far. Is it REALLY that much of an inconveniece to drop off your car for a day once a year? True, it use tl take weeks for te dealership to try to fix It, but they are a lot better now. ..simply throw a new one on And send you on your way. I Just don't think its worth getting so worked up over...as many on this thread are.
Also, I can't picture how a faulty fuel pump is going to cause a major accident or crash. That Is taking it way too far. If a driver cannot manage to move over 2 lanes in traffic before the car comes to a stop without crashing, they probably should Not be driving in the first place IMHO.

Just my. 02
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #69
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
In my opinion, I think many people are taking the severity of the HPFP problems a little far. Is it REALLY that much of an inconveniece to drop off your car for a day once a year? True, it use tl take weeks for te dealership to try to fix It, but they are a lot better now. ..simply throw a new one on And send you on your way. I Just don't think its worth getting so worked up over...as many on this thread are.
Also, I can't picture how a faulty fuel pump is going to cause a major accident or crash. That Is taking it way too far. If a driver cannot manage to move over 2 lanes in traffic before the car comes to a stop without crashing, they probably should Not be driving in the first place IMHO.

Just my. 02
I see your point but I think the problem is that sometimes the engine just shuts off without warning which could be dangerous. Sometimes you need some acceleration to get yourself out of a jam and this is especially true once you get used to having a quick car - you expect it to be there when you ask for it. With a quick car it's easier to merge into fast moving traffic but if you merge and then your engine suddenly dies, or greatly reduces its power, you could be in trouble fast. There are also some roads that don't give you anyplace to stop (i.e. no breakdown lane) if you have a car issue. I'm not one of those guys freaking out about it but I do easily see how it could become dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #70
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Quote:

Just my. 02
Well in my case I called 4 different dealers and all of them said they had no loaners and I would have to wait a minimum of a week before getting one. The 5th dealer was 90 miles away and I was able to get serviced in two days. Its a pain for me because I had to take off work for that morning and lose $$.

If I could just bring my car in and get it fixed similar to an oil change I wouldnt have an issue.
      10-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #71
The Ringer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:

Just my. 02
Or...what if the CLOSEST BMW dealership is 170 miles away. Pretty big inconvenience.

-The Ringer
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #72
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
Well in my case I called 4 different dealers and all of them said they had no loaners and I would have to wait a minimum of a week before getting one. The 5th dealer was 90 miles away and I was able to get serviced in two days. Its a pain for me because I had to take off work for that morning and lose $$.

If I could just bring my car in and get it fixed similar to an oil change I wouldnt have an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ringer View Post
Or...what if the CLOSEST BMW dealership is 170 miles away. Pretty big inconvenience.

-The Ringer
Yeah, I can understand that frustration and inconvenience with those cases. Hard to imagine the dealer wouldn't have a loaner...that's just ridiculous. You'd think they would be obligated to give a loaner or pay for a rental car?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #73
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand that frustration and inconvenience with those cases. Hard to imagine the dealer wouldn't have a loaner...that's just ridiculous. You'd think they would be obligated to give a loaner or pay for a rental car?
lol every service manager except the one said that they would need to upgrade the software first and they would not give me a new pump right away. Thats when I started to feel like I was being pushed around. Luckily a friend of a friend worked at the other dealer.
      10-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #74
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:

Just my. 02
I'll give you an instance that just happened to me. I drive pretty spiritedly and often play with other spirited drivers on my way to work, often they are behind me , but when my pump failed at 80 mph and I slowed down extremely fast that driver would have eaten my bumper and it had the potential of being a very bad situation. Trust me when I say that at full throttle the switch over to reduced power mode is pretty intense. Another situation could be trying to cross traffic making a quick turn or crossing an intersection and not expecting the failure..can you say T-Bone! I truly believe there are some real world situations that make this HPFP issue a a safety hazard. I can also say I am still waiting to get mine replaced as I can not get a loaner till wednesday and having to drive my car in reduced power mode just to get to work..not fun! It is more than an inconvenience and my SA will know my frustration Wednesday. My 2 cents.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #75
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Say someone did have a horrible accident as a direct result of a failing fuel pump...And BMW had tried to fix it but it failed....wouldn't that be an easy lawsuit against BMW that could be worth millions? Te driver can easily prove BMW was negligent And gave back a "dangerous" car knowing it would likely fail?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #76
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I see your point but I think the problem is that sometimes the engine just shuts off without warning which could be dangerous. Sometimes you need some acceleration to get yourself out of a jam and this is especially true once you get used to having a quick car - you expect it to be there when you ask for it. With a quick car it's easier to merge into fast moving traffic but if you merge and then your engine suddenly dies, or greatly reduces its power, you could be in trouble fast. There are also some roads that don't give you anyplace to stop (i.e. no breakdown lane) if you have a car issue. I'm not one of those guys freaking out about it but I do easily see how it could become dangerous.
This is basically how I feel; though, I have an added displeasure with the loss of power due to mitigation efforts.

When I had my first run in with the HPFP fairy, she was neither gentle nor subtle and did not make me breakfast afterward. I lost power and stalled completely after having just "jumped" onto a major highway. It was very scary and I ended up in the grass median for safety.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #77
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
This is basically how I feel; though, I have an added displeasure with the loss of power due to mitigation efforts.

When I had my first run in with the HPFP fairy, she was neither gentle nor subtle and did not make me breakfast afterward. I lost power and stalled completely after having just "jumped" onto a major highway. It was very scary and I ended up in the grass median for safety.
Is that where your username came from?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #78
rag133
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 335i XDrive

Well mine died this time driving down the road with my 2 year old daughter in the car taking her to gymnastics at 6PM. I was able to get it back home in low power mode, but that was very unsafe to drive. No acceleration at all, car would barely move. I was able to get it towed to the dealer the next day, and they had it a few days and I got it back. THis was the SECOND time for me now in 9000 miles!

Always fun to have your car towed away twice from your house like that.

Quote:

Just my. 02
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #79
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag133 View Post
Well mine died this time driving down the road with my 2 year old daughter in the car taking her to gymnastics at 6PM. I was able to get it back home in low power mode, but that was very unsafe to drive. No acceleration at all, car would barely move. I was able to get it towed to the dealer the next day, and they had it a few days and I got it back. THis was the SECOND time for me now in 9000 miles!

Always fun to have your car towed away twice from your house like that.
Bro you have a dinan tune and you feel unsafe when the car limps out?

Can't feel to unsafe with the tune and having your daughter in the car...

Dinan Stage II Installed
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #80
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I really don't care what the immediate resale value it because I plan on holding on to this car for at least 4 years or so. I do however want the pump issue fixed. I know that with the different pumps that have been installed, BMW is working on trying to find a solution, and I am confident that they or another company will come up with one. So far I am on pump #1. I do get an occasional long crank, but I still have not had a CEL, or code thrown. I will just continue to be patient and enjoy my 1er.

-Jeff
      10-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #81
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:

Just my. 02
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
I really don't care what the immediate resale value it because I plan on holding on to this car for at least 4 years or so. I do however want the pump issue fixed. I know that with the different pumps that have been installed, BMW is working on trying to find a solution, and I am confident that they or another company will come up with one. So far I am on pump #1. I do get an occasional long crank, but I still have not had a CEL, or code thrown. I will just continue to be patient and enjoy my 1er.

-Jeff
+1
      10-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #82
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can you say "diminished resale value"? I think BMW would like to solve the problem but has an assload( 1 assload = a hell of a lot) of the pumps that they need to get rid of and are using to replace the ones that go. Either that or they cant find one that will work in this engine for some reason(sounds like it would be simple enough but I am no engineer). If a recall were to result from this, it would be a financially devastating thing to BMW. Don't forget that the 3 series is not the only one using this engins and fuel pump. There are 1 series and 5 series as well. The top 3 selling lines of cars for BMW would be involved in the recall plus any unsold or undelvered cars with the part. That is at least 2 assloads of cars(and as we learned above that is a whole hell fo a lot of cars) That would be a big expense for BMW and then there is the problem of customer loss and cancelled sales.
Without a working replacement part to fit the recalled cars I am not sure what they would do. That is why the warranty was extended. It bought them time to figure out what to do. Got the NHTSA off their backs for a bit and also appeased some of the owners but it doesnt help the problem now. The software is merely lowering the stress on the pump and stretching its life a little. Again buying them time.

Here is a post I made from June 2008 with a theory I had.

"At this point I feel even stronger that BMW is doing this in order to save them from even more people having the engione troubles that a lot of owners already have experienced with fuel pumps, wastegates and turbos. I do not know very much about engines, so I may be completely off about this and whether this ECU update with the lag would help save those engine components that have been giving all the trouble. If anyone that is more familair with the workings of the BMW engine could offer an opinion or their thoughts on whether the new Progmans, with this lag and seemingly lower performance, would actually lower the chances of the HPFP, or turbos and wastegate problems I would really like to hear anything you could tell me. I dont want to say that BMW is trying to save themselves the larger costs of engine repairs and part replacement by using the lower cost ECU update to ease up on the engine. Then taking their chances with the fallout from owners that notice the lag and pursue the matter. "

Seems like it may not have been that crazy after all.
      10-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #83
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Just my. 02
Thats all great if your car goes into "reduced power" and it is 2 lanes. Now lets go to the actaul situation (6 times). Driving on a 6 lane highway(US 60 outside of Phoenix) In the far left lane going to pass at 70, he pwer cuts out completely, all of it, nothing there. Pushing the gas does nothing. So now I have to COAST across 5 lanes of traffic and they are not real polite about letting me over. Horns going like crazy as people swerve around me, hearing someones tires behind me. Wife freaking out next to me. Finally rolling on to the shoulder at 8mph. Anyone who has driven on the 60 when it is busy will tell you that it is hard enough to move over when you have power, but coasting on a 6 lane highway is a bit unnerving and I do not get unnerved that easily(jumping out of an airplane at 10500 feet was less stressful). There was no power, engine on but gas pedal useless. 6 times and you know what, I didnt even get a new fuel pump because it didnt have the specific code. Instead I was told to bring it back if it happens again.
So just droipping it off for a ne wpump for the day and tooling around in a loaner is not how it works for everyone
      10-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #84
jfawns76
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Thats all great if your car goes into "reduced power" and it is 2 lanes. Now lets go to the actaul situation (6 times). Driving on a 6 lane highway(US 60 outside of Phoenix) In the far left lane going to pass at 70, he pwer cuts out completely, all of it, nothing there. Pushing the gas does nothing. So now I have to COAST across 5 lanes of traffic and they are not real polite about letting me over. Horns going like crazy as people swerve around me, hearing someones tires behind me. Wife freaking out next to me. Finally rolling on to the shoulder at 8mph. Anyone who has driven on the 60 when it is busy will tell you that it is hard enough to move over when you have power, but coasting on a 6 lane highway is a bit unnerving and I do not get unnerved that easily(jumping out of an airplane at 10500 feet was less stressful). There was no power, engine on but gas pedal useless. 6 times and you know what, I didnt even get a new fuel pump because it didnt have the specific code. Instead I was told to bring it back if it happens again.
So just droipping it off for a ne wpump for the day and tooling around in a loaner is not how it works for everyone
Mine cut out completely on a 2 lane road, luckily I had a nice grass shoulder on the side. It was not reduced power, it was no power! Funny thing is it started right back up once I got it to a stop and drove fine the rest of the way home. Had it replaced with the 933 pump, no problems since, but only been 2k since. The original lasted 1k. Definitely a dangerous problem and BMW should have resolved this years ago...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #85
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Quote:

Just my. 02
Have your car ever die on the highway due to these pump????? I have twice, and every time I almost got rear ended Do you think its easy trying to get to the side of the road when your engine is out and you are driving across multiple lane??? If you have not please silence and keep on driving on the highway and wait for the pump to die. hopefully you will get hit or close enought and you will know the trouble and pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #86
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
how do you guys almost get hit? My car has done the "slug along mode" and its really not like "ohh $h!t im gunna die ahhhh", it cuts power above 4000 rpms not a big deal...if you cant move over to the right lane DONT DRIVE !
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #87
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfawns76 View Post
Mine cut out completely on a 2 lane road, luckily I had a nice grass shoulder on the side. It was not reduced power, it was no power! Funny thing is it started right back up once I got it to a stop and drove fine the rest of the way home. Had it replaced with the 933 pump, no problems since, but only been 2k since. The original lasted 1k. Definitely a dangerous problem and BMW should have resolved this years ago...
the car will not stall.....did you run out of gas?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #88
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
how do you guys almost get hit? My car has done the "slug along mode" and its really not like "ohh $h!t im gunna die ahhhh", it cuts power above 4000 rpms not a big deal...if you cant move over to the right lane DONT DRIVE !
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
the car will not stall.....did you run out of gas?
first of all, musclezmarinara

second of all, reduced power is the normal way the car reacts, but it can completely shut off with no power, as seen by some of these posts.

whether it's dangerous or not is of course subjective, but the bottom line is the situation is unacceptable for a car brand like bmw. hopefully these news stories will spread and bmw will have no choice but to do a recall
Appreciate 0