E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Major Detail NEED HELP

04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
335_MI6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Major Detail NEED HELP

Im about to go crazy and do a wild detail on my monaco blue 335 e92, i wanted to see what products the detailer recommend (down to the microfiber). Price doesnt really matter, nothing more then swissvax. im devoting a weekend on just cleaning the car. I was thinking about getting the master kit by swissvax but something inside is telling me that its not worth it.

If you many fill the spots
Car Bath?
Clay?
Polish?
Wax? (by hand or pad)
Pre-wax?
Quick Detailer?
Wheel cleaner?
Tire care?
Glass Cleaner?
Leather cleaner?
Trim cleaner?
Microfiber?
Sponge/Microfiber for washing?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
kjang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Barrique Red 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
It is worth it if you have the money, however, the difference between the swissvax kit and picking and choosing your own products is that #1 it's cheaper because swissvax stuff is expensive , and #2 some products work better than specific counterparts in the swissvax arsenal.

I haven't used too many different products to compare so I'll let the other detailing gurus chime in. The most popular product, though, for two of the categories you listed are: Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner and Stoner's Invisible Glass. Edit: Oh, and for leather, the two most popular ones are leather master or leatherique.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
EUROE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i Black Sapphire

+1 for sonax wheel cleaner stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_MI6 View Post
Price doesnt really matter, nothing more then swissvax. ... I was thinking about getting the master kit by swissvax but something inside is telling me that its not worth it.

Car Bath?
Clay?
Polish?
Wax? (by hand or pad)
Pre-wax?
Quick Detailer?
Wheel cleaner?
Tire care?
Glass Cleaner?
Leather cleaner?
Trim cleaner?
Microfiber?
Sponge/Microfiber for washing?
Wow, this is quite the loaded question; and you may get a variety of answers based on individual preferences. Just an FYI to be prepared, since there really is no go to product for each situation.

You mentioned nothing more than the Swissvax Master Kit? Which one? The pricing for their Master Collections ranges from ~$1k to $2300. In either case, you should be able to get a good amount of product for that budget.

Do you currently have a machine polisher?

Do you have any pics of your car's current paint condition? What are your goals after the detail?

And lastly (for now), what do you currently have?
      04-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
335_MI6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
Wow, this is quite the loaded question; and you may get a variety of answers based on individual preferences. Just an FYI to be prepared, since there really is no go to product for each situation.

You mentioned nothing more than the Swissvax Master Kit? Which one? The pricing for their Master Collections ranges from ~$1k to $2300. In either case, you should be able to get a good amount of product for that budget.

Do you currently have a machine polisher?

Do you have any pics of your car's current paint condition? What are your goals after the detail?

And lastly (for now), what do you currently have?
Yhe master kit with the Concorso wax.

I do not have a machine polisher, prob a good idea to get one.

If you want i can take pictures of the paint, but i want the wet look after im done.

As stated in the op e92 335 monaco blue
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Yhe master kit with the Concorso wax.

I do not have a machine polisher, prob a good idea to get one.

If you want i can take pictures of the paint, but i want the wet look after im done.

As stated in the op e92 335 monaco blue
I was just curious if you had pictures to see if you had a crazy amount of swirl marks, etc. But to be honest, I wouldn't be able to tell you what exactly you would need to do to get rid of them if you do. Err... more specifically, what polish, how many passes, etc. With any type of paint correction, you would want to do a test spot to help you figure out the process.

If you plan to do any paint correction, a machine polisher is a good idea as it speeds up the process. Trying to do paint correction by hand is a task I wouldn't even try, as results, if any, won't come close to what can be achieved by machine. That being said, if you haven't used one before, I would recommend starting out with a dual action random orbital. Examples would include a Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's Garage 6" RO, etc.

When I asked what you currently have, I meant in terms of car care products, not the car.
      04-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
kjang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Barrique Red 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Yep, pics can help, a machine polisher is a must if you plan on doing a good full detail on any car that needs any swirls or scratches polished away. I have some polishes that I can recommend though depending on the condition of the paint.

After thinking about it, I can recommend a kit with different brands that provides exceptional results, you can PM me for the link but it includes the Klasse twins that I mentioned before, along with Pinnacle Souveran Wax, some quality microfiber towels, and applicator pads.

It's really hard to suggest a car wash soap for regular washes, however, if you want to go all out with detailing, a good stripping soap is the chemical guys citrus wash clear.

If you decide not to go with the swissvax line, I can send you my entire list of recommendations :P
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
335_MI6
Colonel
Rep

this is the only picture i have at the moment i will take more later tonight........the paint is really clean but i still want to do a detail
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
My advice would be to visit one of the sponsors and buy any of the products they list, most of the products are reputable and decent enough.

I have filled in a couple blanks for you below

Quote:

Car Bath? Traditional Shampoo (too many options, just get what you think is cool) Dodo juice born to be mild for washing maxi suds for foaming? + Optimum No Rinse, this will be your fav product
Clay? Just get the detailed image clay, use them for shampoo aswell I guess
Polish? Your car seems ok from that pic so you could pickup menz 106 alone or 106 + 85rd, black/white/blue pads - if you want a compound to add as well just in case get some d300 + microfiber pads
Wax? (by hand or pad) Zillion options based on budget, maybe get a sealant instead? BFWD/Powerlock easy to use. Swissvax is obviously a great choice, I wouldn't apply by hand unless you feel really comfortable with it.
Pre-wax? Deep pure black finish = prima amigo, metallic popping finish = CG ez-creme glaze
Quick Detailer? Optimum Instant Detailer, FK-425, CG Synthetic QD
Wheel cleaner? Sonax is great, or just get a gallon jug of any other reputable cleaner if you clean your wheels often. I never use/need sonax, I just use ONR.
Tire care? Tuf-Shine / Bold n Bright
Glass Cleaner? Invisible Glass
Leather cleaner? Leather Masters / Leatherique
Trim cleaner? Window trim outside? If so p21s metal soap will clean off oxidation
Microfiber? Whatever detailedimage sells, get at least 2 drying towels though.
Sponge/Microfiber for washing? everyone has their preference, I use sheepskin mitts since they seem the softest for a not so dirty car, for use on a dirty car I use a diff mitt I don't even know what it's called but it's not as soft and thin so I find it better to use on a dirtier car.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

Geez, this project sounds like fun. It's like a shopping spree for detailing products!

Remember to post up what you end up ordering 335 MI6.
Appreciate 0