E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Hey GAVIN. You still breathing?!

07-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #67
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I'm looking @ spending something in the $600-700 range to run E85. After that comes to fruition if we can get it done this winter, the options I'll have will make it easier to get into the N54 power range. Can you picture adapting Gavin's kit to run on E85?
E85? Ethanol? I don't think running 96 octane would get us into N54 range. Especially versus modded. N54 seems under-rated from stock also, multiple dyno results showed consistent findings of 9~12% drivetrain loss in calculation, assuming the 300hp rating was true (this was years ago). Accommodating reality of the drivetrain we use, with 15~18% drivetrain loss, they should have been rated over 300hp. Correct me if I'm mis-informed or got it mixed. I have not been researching on 335s lately.

This means you need to put at least 60 extra horses to stay even or maybe slightly ahead. Then, they spend $400 and will smoke you like yesterday's joint. Missing forced induction in tuning scene means quadruple the cost, sometimes by coupe digits to keep up with them. And even that has limitation. Eventually F/I would be necessary.

I've always been a N/A guy. Direct response, pure engine growl, clean raw exhaust note, more reliability. I've driven nothing but N/A for my whole life. But as a guy who will be married soon with kids, who will not be able to be in the scene as much, my last car before marriage will be turbo. I was going to get the new E550 with V8 in it, but 2012 MY models are coming with V8 twin turbo, so I decided to push back my plan. Goal is to feel the straightline performance of 400hp at the wheels before I have kids. That's a 200whp jump from what I drive now, so it should stir my life up a bit before I surrender myself to a jail called marriage.

If you want that "i can play both curves and straights" factor, get the 335i.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #68
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
E85? Ethanol? I don't think running 96 octane would get us into N54 range. Especially versus modded. N54 seems under-rated from stock also, multiple dyno results showed consistent findings of 9~12% drivetrain loss in calculation, assuming the 300hp rating was true (this was years ago). Accommodating reality of the drivetrain we use, with 15~18% drivetrain loss, they should have been rated over 300hp. Correct me if I'm mis-informed or got it mixed. I have not been researching on 335s lately.

This means you need to put at least 60 extra horses to stay even or maybe slightly ahead. Then, they spend $400 and will smoke you like yesterday's joint. Missing forced induction in tuning scene means quadruple the cost, sometimes by coupe digits to keep up with them. And even that has limitation. Eventually F/I would be necessary.
Like I stated in my post, if Gavin's upcoming VF powered kit can be adapted to run on E85, there's a definite possibility that the N52 will be able to handle extra boost. Since no one has "popped" an N52 on boost as of yet (at least from what I'm aware of) we really don't know for sure how far we can push the limit. We can all guess based on what we know about the internals and how the engine has been built. Having said that, the biggest hurdle seems to be the Transmission. Despite everything I've read and researched, if anyone is looking to run more than 300whp, the trans is gonna have to be swapped. Plain and simple.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #69
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Like I stated in my post, if Gavin's upcoming VF powered kit can be adapted to run on E85, there's a definite possibility that the N52 will be able to handle extra boost. Since no one has "popped" an N52 on boost as of yet (at least from what I'm aware of) we really don't know for sure how far we can push the limit. We can all guess based on what we know about the internals and how the engine has been built. Having said that, the biggest hurdle seems to be the Transmission. Despite everything I've read and researched, if anyone is looking to run more than 300whp, the trans is gonna have to be swapped. Plain and simple.
At least you have 6spd to begin, it should be able to withstand some extra whp. I thought you are spending $600, not after $12,000. lol. on top of that, tranny swap? It's just such a waste of money and time man. I mean, if you are up for it, cudos to you and I respect that. Extensive tuning, internal work and modification, etc etc is just too much.

btw, I thought gavin's project was dead. I heard he was shooting for under 7k for the kit, which I assume is only stage 1.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #70
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

It is very much Alive. We should be seeing photos, details, etc within the coming weeks as it nears completion.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #71
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
hope you got 7Gs in your bank account to withdraw.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #72
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
btw, I thought gavin's project was dead. I heard he was shooting for under 7k for the kit, which I assume is only stage 1.
hehe, no sir.

Alive, very much alive and better than ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #73
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
A supercharged 325i would surely not be as fast but would be something different.
Appreciate 0