E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Drove 2010 S4 today...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #155
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Any new engine has bugs. Maybe no HPFP failures, but there will be something else. There always is.

I'm leaning toward the 335D though because they evidently can be re-mapped through the OBDII connector... 350hp and 500+ lb-ft.

I'm sure the S4 will have some easy mods to 400+hp as well.
I agree...however, a HPFP failures after 3 years of the engine introduction is a shame...and there is no fix in sight
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #156
dmz
Captain
9
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: me nuts
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Just out of curiosity, did Audi ever got the coil pack issues fixed? I haven't followed Audi for years and was wondering if they still have ignition coil problem today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I agree...however, a HPFP failures after 3 years of the engine introduction is a shame...and there is no fix in sight
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #157
Thud
Throbbing Member
21
Rep
1,432
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I agree...however, a HPFP failures after 3 years of the engine introduction is a shame...and there is no fix in sight

Tell me about it... I already had mine replaced once, 6000 miles ago, and I think this one is starting to act up now.

The only thing steering me away from the S4 is that Audi cars generally have horrible resale value. No doubt that the S4 is a great car, but the 335d will fare much better for resale. Probably because diesels in general are more reliable engines and can go a billion miles?
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #158
quattr0
Second Lieutenant
14
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
What bugs? That car doesn't have a HPFP failure which is why a lot of the 335i owners have strayed away from BMW. I wouldn't be surprised if that engine takes away the #1 spot from BMW in the engine of the year.
If you go to Audzine you will see posts reported with the following issues:

1. Hesitation
2. Water pump
3. I forgot what this one was but you'll get the idea

If I could afford an S4 which is close to 60k with decent equip, there is no doubt I will go with S4. I know you could get an S4 for high 40s barebone but then I would get a loaded (sport, premium, folded seat, cold weather packages) for 47k if I'll go with 335i.

HPFP doesn't scare me. It happened to me. It didn't leave me stranded on the freeway. I was able to drive home with 1/2 engine light at normal speed. Went to the dealer. 2 hours later I was on the road. If you could find a car with the same handling and power/torque/luxury/price range like the 335i, let me know.

There is no point with arguing S4 is better than 335i. S4 is a better car. Afterall, like someone said before, why do you guys want to argue a brand new car with a 3-year old car/technology?

All these posts about S4 are retarded and wasted of bandwidth. We already know it is better than 335i overall.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #159
CAR BUFF
New Member
CAR BUFF's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Powell, OH

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to CAR BUFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkato13 View Post
I looked at both cars before I chose the 335 but I have to say the alacantra seats look nice but the upper bolster on ours is better. The audi does have real cupholders which is nice. Still like the bimmer though. Much cheaper to lease though My 335xi was $52500 with options and the S4 was $50200. The audi was $150/ month more to lease
The S4 lease recently got better. I was just quoted a lease for an S4 that was 42 months, 12k/yr and $17XX due at signing for $781/month. This particular car stickered at nearly $54k. I thought that was comparable to the 335i leases I've heard of.
__________________
2010 328i Sport Wagon (On Order)
LeMans Blue/Black Dakota-Manual w/M Sport (nuff said)
---
2006 Cayman S
Carrera White/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #160
Pele96
Lieutenant
14
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR BUFF View Post
The S4 lease recently got better. I was just quoted a lease for an S4 that was 42 months, 12k/yr and $17XX due at signing for $781/month. This particular car stickered at nearly $54k. I thought that was comparable to the 335i leases I've heard of.
Its cheaper to lease a 335I then and S4. I priced both out at the same price an the 335I was $200.00 cheaper per month.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #161
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

At the risk of



I just saw a brand new S5 convert the other day and if I cant afford a Bentley GT for my next car, then this will be it! The styling is amazing!
__________________
335i - AW - Spearco FMIC - Catted DPs - AA Xede [sitting in garage ]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #162
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
If you go to Audzine you will see posts reported with the following issues:

1. Hesitation
2. Water pump
3. I forgot what this one was but you'll get the idea

If I could afford an S4 which is close to 60k with decent equip, there is no doubt I will go with S4. I know you could get an S4 for high 40s barebone but then I would get a loaded (sport, premium, folded seat, cold weather packages) for 47k if I'll go with 335i.

HPFP doesn't scare me. It happened to me. It didn't leave me stranded on the freeway. I was able to drive home with 1/2 engine light at normal speed. Went to the dealer. 2 hours later I was on the road. If you could find a car with the same handling and power/torque/luxury/price range like the 335i, let me know.

There is no point with arguing S4 is better than 335i. S4 is a better car. Afterall, like someone said before, why do you guys want to argue a brand new car with a 3-year old car/technology?

All these posts about S4 are retarded and wasted of bandwidth. We already know it is better than 335i overall.
Why don't you INFORM and educate yourself before posting stuff here???
The "bare bone" S4, i.e. Premium Plus S4 is equal to your 335xi + Premium Package + Sports Package + Cold weather package (ah, yes, the folding seats are there, too). I have one "bare bone" S4, I paid $44,050 for it, $47,100 out the door...
For $60k, you get absolutely loaded S4 with options that the 335 does not even offer...

EDIT: and NO, the S4 is NOT better car than the 335. It is a different car, and some of us just needed a change after almost 5 years of e90.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #163
allin
King Crab
1
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY

iTrader: (0)

Talking

I do not have "unlimited funds" to play with. I went shopping for a used 06 BMW or Audi. I like both the 3 series and A4's. They both drive with a certain German feel that my past Japanese cars did not have. Plus, in all honesty, the badge prestige was a bonus.

Price-wise, what I found comparable was 06 325i with limited options was around the same price as an 06 A4 with many options (including nav). I shopped manuals since I think it is more involving.

Finally chose the 325i for the fact that the inline 6 is way more smooth and sounds better than the turbo 4 in the A4. Plus, the manual in the 3 is more precise.

However, I live in Syracuse, NY. We receive on average 120+ inches of snow each year (lake-effect from Ontario). I definitely miss the AWD that is standard in the A4. Now, before anyone screams about Xi, note that this would have increased the cost of the 325 at least 2-3k. AWD is in demand here and fetches higher prices.

So yes, I bought the 325i despite the fact that the A4 would have given me more equipment, AWD, and similar German feel. Because the engine and manual tranny are just better in the Bimmer.

I throw on snows and make due for 3-4 months. Then enjoy the rest of the 8-9 months of good weather. Seams like a fair tradeoff to me.

That said, if the 3 and A4 were women, I would not kick either out of my bed.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #164
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin View Post
I do not have "unlimited funds" to play with. I went shopping for a used 06 BMW or Audi. I like both the 3 series and A4's. They both drive with a certain German feel that my past Japanese cars did not have. Plus, in all honesty, the badge prestige was a bonus.

Price-wise, what I found comparable was 06 325i with limited options was around the same price as an 06 A4 with many options (including nav). I shopped manuals since I think it is more involving.

Finally chose the 325i for the fact that the inline 6 is way more smooth and sounds better than the turbo 4 in the A4. Plus, the manual in the 3 is more precise.

However, I live in Syracuse, NY. We receive on average 120+ inches of snow each year (lake-effect from Ontario). I definitely miss the AWD that is standard in the A4. Now, before anyone screams about Xi, note that this would have increased the cost of the 325 at least 2-3k. AWD is in demand here and fetches higher prices.

So yes, I bought the 325i despite the fact that the A4 would have given me more equipment, AWD, and similar German feel. Because the engine and manual tranny are just better in the Bimmer.

I throw on snows and make due for 3-4 months. Then enjoy the rest of the 8-9 months of good weather. Seams like a fair tradeoff to me.

That said, if the 3 and A4 were women, I would not kick either out of my bed.


I agree that before I had the S4, I have never driven a smoother engine vehicle than the 325/328. It is a beautiful engine.
A few things to point out:
1) The A4 does NOT come standard Quattro, it is an option
2) The e90 vs. B8 Audi (latest model) 6MT is quite the opposite -- I had the MT my whole life and the long throw and sometimes not so easy gearing was the only disappointment I had on my e90 (beside the RFTs). I love the latest Audi 6MT (on my 2010 S4) -- it is smooth, never had an issue putting it into the first gear or Reverse, it is very much precise, and much shorter throw than the Bimmer...
3) Since you mentioned 8 months of enjoyment without the snow tires -- I must tell you -- GOOD LUCK with those RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #165
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
159
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post


I agree that before I had the S4, I have never driven a smoother engine vehicle than the 325/328. It is a beautiful engine.
A few things to point out:
1) The A4 does NOT come standard Quattro, it is an option
2) The e90 vs. B8 Audi (latest model) 6MT is quite the opposite -- I had the MT my whole life and the long throw and sometimes not so easy gearing was the only disappointment I had on my e90 (beside the RFTs). I love the latest Audi 6MT (on my 2010 S4) -- it is smooth, never had an issue putting it into the first gear or Reverse, it is very much precise, and much shorter throw than the Bimmer...
3) Since you mentioned 8 months of enjoyment without the snow tires -- I must tell you -- GOOD LUCK with those RFTs.

In general I would agree with S4 vs 335i comparisons but like allin said, the normal A4 doesn't have the same advantages over the normal 3 series that the S4 enjoys. Also regarding the gearboxes, I feel the same to be true abouts both DCTs, the DSG is slightly smoother and less problematic than the DCT in the M3 at least.

But frankly either brands make a bad car and both are enjoyable to own.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #166
Jeef
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
891
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0U View Post
After driving the S4, the viagra prescription was never renewed.
must be gay then hahaa
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #167
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin View Post
I do not have "unlimited funds" to play with. I went shopping for a used 06 BMW or Audi. I like both the 3 series and A4's. They both drive with a certain German feel that my past Japanese cars did not have. Plus, in all honesty, the badge prestige was a bonus.

Price-wise, what I found comparable was 06 325i with limited options was around the same price as an 06 A4 with many options (including nav). I shopped manuals since I think it is more involving.

Finally chose the 325i for the fact that the inline 6 is way more smooth and sounds better than the turbo 4 in the A4. Plus, the manual in the 3 is more precise.

However, I live in Syracuse, NY. We receive on average 120+ inches of snow each year (lake-effect from Ontario). I definitely miss the AWD that is standard in the A4. Now, before anyone screams about Xi, note that this would have increased the cost of the 325 at least 2-3k. AWD is in demand here and fetches higher prices.

So yes, I bought the 325i despite the fact that the A4 would have given me more equipment, AWD, and similar German feel. Because the engine and manual tranny are just better in the Bimmer.

I throw on snows and make due for 3-4 months. Then enjoy the rest of the 8-9 months of good weather. Seams like a fair tradeoff to me.

That said, if the 3 and A4 were women, I would not kick either out of my bed.
Hey, welcome to the forum. I live in Syracuse as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #168
quattr0
Second Lieutenant
14
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Why don't you INFORM and educate yourself before posting stuff here???
Sorry...long weekend and bored....

Why don't you learn how to read first? Go re-read what I posted and let me know if you understand my post
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #169
adrian1480
Lieutenant
adrian1480's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435icp
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to adrian1480
nothing like hurt feelings in interwebs.

Bottom line to me: all 4 cars being discussed (S4, S5, 335xi, 335i) have similar performance numbers. since you're not racing your vehicles, the fractions of a second differences between them at STOCK mean nothing at all.

so f*ck the performance. it's a wash. so now you have to decide which of the other features you feel are most important and make your decisions from there on which best meets your expectations and needs.

lease/purchase costs. available packages. available color combinations. available features. style inside and out. reliability. uniqueness. modability. tire sizes. user-friendliniess of the satnav system. expected resale value.

consequently, my next vehicle is most likely to be an A5 2.0T, which can easily be modded for solid performance and HP, yet looks beautiful to my eyes. I love the white on butter brown like Tiger Woods loves white women.

and so it will be for me. and damn what anyone else thinks because it's my money and I'm for damn sure going to be a happy man. some of you guys need to deal with your insecurities. you'll have more fun in life.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #170
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
Sorry...long weekend and bored....

Why don't you learn how to read first? Go re-read what I posted and let me know if you understand my post
I re-read your post again. Please point me to the line that I missed in your original post -- where you compare the pricing of the two. The $47k 335 that you described is actually the "bare-bone" S4 that you claim is too "plain" for your taste....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #171
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
159
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
nothing like hurt feelings in interwebs.

Bottom line to me: all 4 cars being discussed (S4, S5, 335xi, 335i) have similar performance numbers. since you're not racing your vehicles, the fractions of a second differences between them at STOCK mean nothing at all.

so f*ck the performance. it's a wash. so now you have to decide which of the other features you feel are most important and make your decisions from there on which best meets your expectations and needs.

lease/purchase costs. available packages. available color combinations. available features. style inside and out. reliability. uniqueness. modability. tire sizes. user-friendliniess of the satnav system. expected resale value.

consequently, my next vehicle is most likely to be an A5 2.0T, which can easily be modded for solid performance and HP, yet looks beautiful to my eyes. I love the white on butter brown like Tiger Woods loves white women.

and so it will be for me. and damn what anyone else thinks because it's my money and I'm for damn sure going to be a happy man. some of you guys need to deal with your insecurities. you'll have more fun in life.
Very well said. Too many people get hung up of the fractions of a second and make comparisons based on that front.

There is far more to ownership than simply all out performance.

P.S.
I saw an S5 (Sprint Blue) coming towards me the other day, first I had seen in probably two months and I must say I forgot just how good looking it was ........... it made me kind of miss my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #172
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
26
Rep
2,408
Posts

 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

black s5 over these S4, 335xi, 335i for sure if I'm looking for car in this category.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #173
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
159
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Just a bit of food for thought to those how either are considering the new S4 or already have one. APR has a tuning kit for it now and here is the fruits of their labour against a stock S4.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #174
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
40
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
consequently, my next vehicle is most likely to be an A5 2.0T, which can easily be modded for solid performance and HP, yet looks beautiful to my eyes.

I love the white on butter brown like Tiger Woods loves white women.
LOL!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST