E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP Failure and Loaner

11-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

HPFP Failure and Loaner

For those who have had their HPFP replaced lately; were you given a loaner vehicle?

Mine has failed. The car is stalling when idling and when switching from R to D ect. Ive taken it into BMW, they say it is a 3 day fix: One day to update the coding, one day to see if the problem is fixed and one day to replace the HPFP.

So now I am without a vehicle for 3 days and will have to rent one to get around for work. I think BMW should give me a loaner or at least pay for my rental.

Am I being unrealistic?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Psukhe
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I'm in Calgary as well. Please let us know which dealer you go to and how they treat you.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
did you buy your car from them? that seems to be the thing around here
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I'm not sure about Canada but in the US any warranty service should get you a free loaner. Whether or not it's a BMW is another question.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I think a quick call to BMW corporate should get you a loaner assuming that you meet the conditions in your province and under that dealership's insurance policy for a loaner. There may be insurance related reasons why some people (primarily based on age) won't get a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It's not a Canada thing, right? Here what I think it is is advance notice, about 2 wks. My selling dealership offers Kia's and Dodge Calibers with no notice, Enterprise rentals. The new dealership that I go to has so many cars it takes more than a football field to park their inventory. Beautiful scantily clad women greet you as you pull-up, I find that funny, and wonder if it actually drives business upwards (it works for Hooters doesn't it?). They have a very good process for the loaners, it's not handled by the SA. Also, they are open to take them back until 8 pm.

Honestly? I just don't get the bad customer service. Maybe our North American economy just doesn't have enough resources to provide it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep

Well I am back from BMW GALLERY. I had a different SA today (Kevin Lee) but I got the same story. No Loaner. I gave him the story on why I needed it so bad and he just said "You'll have to rent a car for yourself with your own funds". I had a little episode, said I am going to complain to the service managar but still nothing.

I have now written an email to my salesman to see if there is anything he could do at Calgary BMW. Its a long shot but he has always been good in the past.

I did not buy my car from BMW Gallery, I got it at Calgary BMW. Does this matter? Both dealerships are owned by the same group (Dhawali).

Im 27 with an acceptable driving record. I think I should be qualified for a loaner vehicle. Plus it is warrenty work. The HPFP failed at 77, XXX kms so its under new car warrenty.

The two week notice wouldn't have worked for me. I had the long crank one day and the very next the car was stalling like a late model Ford.

Anyways, my experience with BMW Gallery has been terrible. When you talk to the SA's you feel like you know more about the cars then they do. I didn't buy my car there and I would never consider buying a car from there. I am waiting on seeing what Calgary BMW will do for me but after reading consumer reports this month (I think BMW was 2nd last in reliability and the 335xi and 335i were second last and last in the upscale vehicle category) and now this disaster with BMW service the Mercedes C and the Audi A4 (and A5) are looking really good.

When I bought my car at Calgary BMW, I was also looking at an identical vehicle in Vancouver that was $6k cheaper. The salesman said the main cause for the difference in price was the service I get. I found the explaination laughable when I got the car but now it is just becoming insulting. This will probably be the last time I buy a BMW or at the very least a BMW in Calgary.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep

Hello everyone,
Just want to provide some infromation as I chase this up the ladder.

I found some informaiton about complaining to BMW here:

http://www.autosafety.org/bmw

Called the service line and spoke to a rep who gave me the Canadian Service Line:

Called the service line and got a message that all reps are busy please try again later. Click..... I am not surprised.

Its been 2hours and still no call/email from my salesman. Going to call the dealership directly now.

When I spoke with the American Rep she said that loaner policy is on a dealership to dealership basis. Meaning that there is nothing BMW corperate can do to force the dealership to give me a loaner. Great.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I wrote BMW Canada a letter.. I am disgusted that BMW is not giving out loaner vehicles. Coming from Mercedes-Benz, they always had a loaner available for me. I just spent the entire weekend without a vehicle because of this. If this is what it's like to own a BMW, this will have been my first and last.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep

I just got off the phone with BMW Canada. The loaner policy is the same in the States as it is here. No loaner for me I guess and Ill have to spend $500 upwards on a rental.

I can't wait until I get my customer feedback survey.

This will be my last Canadian BMW for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep

Just went into Calgary BMW to get to the bottom of this. My salesman wasnt in till the aft thats why I hadnt heard from him. Here's the scoop:

It seems that all BMW dealerships in Calgary are out of loaners. Each dealership carries an amount of loaners accourding to what the service manager thinks they will need. Here's where the two dealerships in Calgary differ:

Calgary BMW - Has over 30 loaner vehicles. They will loan a vechile upon request for any work not including self induced problems like crashing your car or warrenty work on a non-Canadian vehicle. If all of their loaners are gone, they will rent you a car at their expense.

BMW Gallery - Not sure of the amount of loaner vehicles but I would expect it to be somewhere around 20 or less. I am not sure about how they decide if you need a loaner or not but I guess if they have them and you request it then they'll give you one. The real difference is that BMW Gallery told me I would have to rent a vehicle at my expense where as Calgary BMW offered to rent one for me at their cost.

The SA at Calgary BMW was very surprised to hear that Gallery were asking me to rent my own vehicle.

It looks like I am still going to have to drive a rental for the time being but I felt that the customer service was WAY BETTER at Calgary BMW. I will avoid BMW Gallery in the future and I would recommend to anyone in Calgary that they go to Calgary BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I'm not in Canada by my dealer gives me a loaner every time unless it's for a 5 or 10 minute fix - even for oil changes. I always email my SA first and ask "when can I get an appointment with a loaner?" and she reserves it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i and BMW 328i

Just remember-the best way to avoid HPFP problems on Thanksgiving is to walk the 11 miles to grandma's house.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
Just remember-the best way to avoid HPFP problems on Thanksgiving is to walk the 11 miles to grandma's house.
- but - "Remember, go straight to Grandma's house, Don't dawdle along the way and please don't talk to strangers! The woods are dangerous."
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
- but - "Remember, go straight to Grandma's house, Don't dawdle along the way and please don't talk to strangers! The woods are dangerous."
All worth it for a couple of glasses of grandma's (a Chicago moll in her hey day) bathtub hard cider and her special recipe rum cake.

Turkey is for chumps.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #16
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
LOL, btw i dont think replacing hpfp needs 3 days
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I've never not gotten a BMW loaner for even routine maintenance and minor repairs
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
LOL, btw i dont think replacing hpfp needs 3 days
It can if it happens on Thanksgiving. The dealer will probably be closed Thursday-Sunday.

Hope it doesn't happen to anybody here!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Psukhe
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious_ View Post
Just went into Calgary BMW to get to the bottom of this. My salesman wasnt in till the aft thats why I hadnt heard from him. Here's the scoop:

It seems that all BMW dealerships in Calgary are out of loaners. Each dealership carries an amount of loaners accourding to what the service manager thinks they will need. Here's where the two dealerships in Calgary differ:

Calgary BMW - Has over 30 loaner vehicles. They will loan a vechile upon request for any work not including self induced problems like crashing your car or warrenty work on a non-Canadian vehicle. If all of their loaners are gone, they will rent you a car at their expense.

BMW Gallery - Not sure of the amount of loaner vehicles but I would expect it to be somewhere around 20 or less. I am not sure about how they decide if you need a loaner or not but I guess if they have them and you request it then they'll give you one. The real difference is that BMW Gallery told me I would have to rent a vehicle at my expense where as Calgary BMW offered to rent one for me at their cost.

The SA at Calgary BMW was very surprised to hear that Gallery were asking me to rent my own vehicle.

It looks like I am still going to have to drive a rental for the time being but I felt that the customer service was WAY BETTER at Calgary BMW. I will avoid BMW Gallery in the future and I would recommend to anyone in Calgary that they go to Calgary BMW.

That's pretty much what I've heard as well -- Calgary BMW tries their damndest whereas, BMW Gallery has terrible staff turnover and terrible staff.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Mine failed a day before thanksgiving, but the dealer promised to have it done by tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers, but they did give me a 328i coupe loaner, although I did not purchase the car from them.
Quote:
It can if it happens on Thanksgiving. The dealer will probably be closed Thursday-Sunday.

Hope it doesn't happen to anybody here!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #21
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious_ View Post
For those who have had their HPFP replaced lately; were you given a loaner vehicle?

Mine has failed. The car is stalling when idling and when switching from R to D ect. Ive taken it into BMW, they say it is a 3 day fix: One day to update the coding, one day to see if the problem is fixed and one day to replace the HPFP.

So now I am without a vehicle for 3 days and will have to rent one to get around for work. I think BMW should give me a loaner or at least pay for my rental.

Am I being unrealistic?
no you are not being unrealistic. any repairs that takes more than hour or two (or if car was turned in late in the day and repairs done the day after, even if its a short routine maintainence) the dealer is obligated to provide a loaner.

most dealers need you to call them days ahead to get a bmw loaner... at least ones in LA do.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
Mine failed a day before thanksgiving, but the dealer promised to have it done by tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers, but they did give me a 328i coupe loaner, although I did not purchase the car from them.
You're in the states though. It seems like the dealerships down there are waay better than what we have up here. A couple posts up the guy said he gets a loaner even on a oil change. BMW Canada isn't like that.
Appreciate 0