E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW-ConnectedDrive is cool

09-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #111
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Ah ... makes sense ... so I would have to have ordered the online package from day one.

Still both are free options now ...

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...0spv-O,00.html

What does a new car with connected drive 'online' do that mine won't?

Edit: just sent an address to my car ... cool
I believe it allows you to send/receive texts and emails and surf some (probably like WAP) pages from the car. Didn't sound overly great to me so didn't go for it. I'd like to have a fully wireless broadband enabled PC in my car hooked up to the idrive screen, which is possible today so don't know why they don't offer that as an option!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #112
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I believe it allows you to send/receive texts and emails and surf some (probably like WAP) pages from the car. Didn't sound overly great to me so didn't go for it. I'd like to have a fully wireless broadband enabled PC in my car hooked up to the idrive screen, which is possible today so don't know why they don't offer that as an option!!!
The googlemaps functionality is pretty cool, as is the info service (just tried both). What's nice is that you can use the number to make a call or the address or add it to your address book. Pretty tidy.

The menu system is predictably clunky and hidden away. I also don't like the delay in manually having to pick up the message from google and the delay in connecting to the assist service.

Still can't complain since it's free
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #113
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
looks like the "send" feature on the google maps is now not there.

I made sure it was a business addess, i.e. "searched for Business" but it only offers an e-mail function now.

Off to try the BMW version see if that is any better

SJ

EDIT: Ok got it to work it goes wrong if you try and put a "From" address in, i.e. generate a route. If you just put the business location in, and hit send it works.

My bad
      10-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #114
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

My only current gripe is that you can only have 10 SMS's on the car system. after that, you have to delete them or new SMS's are stuck in limbo!

How much memory do you really need to save say 100?? Surely BMW can do better.

regards
Bren
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #115
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
looks like the "send" feature on the google maps is now not there.

I made sure it was a business addess, i.e. "searched for Business" but it only offers an e-mail function now.

Off to try the BMW version see if that is any better

SJ

EDIT: Ok got it to work it goes wrong if you try and put a "From" address in, i.e. generate a route. If you just put the business location in, and hit send it works.

My bad
James, could you have a word with your brother & ask him if he could supply us with the Assist API, so we could use the likes of Microsoft Popfly & Yahoo Pipes to produce our own interface, please?!

I could knock up something which is a lot better than BMWs own Assist interface.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #116
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ok will do.

Actually on a serious note since we're all "testers" for this system why not volunteer as a group to feedback to BMW ?

Who do we speak to... come on viv, you're our spokesman !

SJ
      10-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #117
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I had some issues today with passing addresses across to the nav section. there is an option called "delete list" I though ooo new button and clicked it only to delete ALL my hard input addresses.

There should have been a "are you sure suckka?!" screen....

This kind of feedback might be useful to them
      10-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #118
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok will do.

Actually on a serious note since we're all "testers" for this system why not volunteer as a group to feedback to BMW ?

Who do we speak to... come on viv, you're our spokesman !

SJ
Quote:
I had some issues today with passing addresses across to the nav section. there is an option called "delete list" I though ooo new button and clicked it only to delete ALL my hard input addresses.

There should have been a "are you sure suckka?!" screen....

This kind of feedback might be useful to them
I'll send them an email, just to see what they say, James.

The last time I asked them about helping out with promoting UK2, they came up with excuses & did sweet f**k all.

Quote:
Dear Mr Viv (surname removed)

Thank you for contacting BMW Customer Information.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in replying to your query.

Your email was forwarded to our colleagues in the Marketing Department but, because of various summer holidays, we have only just been able to obtain guidance from them.

We can advise that BMW advertising and promotional events have been in the planning stages for some many months - particularly with the impending launch of the BMW E92 on September 23 followed by its attendance at the Paris Motor Show at the end of September and the first two weeks of October.

We thank you very much for the opportunity of participating in the event you have planned for 23rd September at Donington Park in Derbyshire but regret that we will not be able to participate on this occasion.

We do receive many enquiries such as yours but are not able to favour one request above another. Please accept our apologies if our reply disappoints on this occasion.

We would like to take the opportunity to wish you the very best of luck for your event on Septebmer 23rd and hope that all goes well.

Yours sincerely
BMW Group UK

Elfriede McNeal

Product Information Advisor

Ellesfield Avenue

Bracknell

RG12 8TA

Tel: 0800 325600

Fax: 0870 5050 206

Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #119
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
whay did you ask them for viv? to gate crash a meet?
      10-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #120
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
whay did you ask them for viv? to gate crash a meet?

Carlostverbalarticulation, as Manuel from Fawlty Towers would say, 'Que?'

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #121
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

BMW Assist/Online/Connected Drive

Hello,

So ... I picked it up ... pictures later

How do I get the Assist/Online to work?

When I go to BMW Services / Initialise BMW Assist it says 'Please first Initialise BMW Assist. Customer Serv. for further info:' (and that's exactly what it says, bad english and all).

Is there something I/someone needs to do? I've no forms or anything to fill in.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #122
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hi dodgy, glad you've got your car!

Believe it or not any competent dealer should set this up for you before you take delivery of your shiny new car. My dealers did not set up the BMW assist etc! Pillocks. Anyhow, you need to download the form from BMW's website and they will process your 'application' normally within 3 working days. They'll give you a ring and the info. to activate the system will come through via 'My info.' on the i drive. So basically, you're going to have to wait a few days I'm afraid, unless you ring them and see if they can expedite it. The link is below.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/connected...ml?siteID=1312
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #123
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

Ah got it - I've plenty more to play with till they set this up, so no worries

Thanks very much
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #124
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW Connected Drive

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Having a brief re-read of the latest BMW magazine, in noticed on page 14 that it talks about 2 new innovations for connected drive:

1 Google local search - providing an in-car search facility that provides access to location based info from Google maps.

2 My News - a news service which allows RSS feeds to be saved in an exclusive website, so that RSS feeds can then be displayed on the in-car Online portal when the car is stationary.

I had a quick look and couldn't find either service. Anyone else had any luck with this?

cheers
Bren
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #125
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat

Yep, just tried Google local search, pretty cool really, just enter the name of a local business at your location or the location you are travelling to, google then finds it and you can add it as a destination or ring the number :-)

I haven't tried the RSS feeds though
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #126
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

where is it in your idrive? couldn't find it in BMWAssist

thanks
Bren
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #127
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
I've rang BMW Assist about the free 3 Years etc and because my car only has the Business Nav I have been told it wont work for mine.........Bollox!

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #128
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just rung them myself, and they say that because my car was built in July 07, it didn't qualify for the free online & assist service, so I can only have google maps, unless I pay for a retrofit.

Surely this is just a bit of software running from the dvd drive? Anyone know any better?

thanks
B
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #129
robrob
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xd M Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
YES NFS!

I was in the same situation- didn't register for 2 years, now I have & it's free for the next 3 years!

Viv
Just a quick question as I have somehow completely missed this thread. I phoned BMW Assist today to ask about this and was told I don't qualify as it's only 2007 registered cars that do. My car is Dec 06 registered and I am only entitled to the 6 month trial as long as I haven't registered before (which I haven't).

It may have been on one of the posts in this thread, but does everyone who has the 3 yr free trial have a 2007 registered car?

Ta.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #130
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

I got my letter today and filled out the form online. How long does it take them to process it?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #131
stephen3rd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Edition MSport

I filled in the online form last Sunday, called them Thursday to see what was happening and i got my activation text friday (Today)

Quite a good system, a few nice features but i have a funny feeling that i wont give it another look in a few weeks time.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #132
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation Non-business addresses

Just for anyone who hasn't yet tried sending non-business addresses to their nav via Google Maps & My Info- it works fine.

1 Go to Google Maps
2 Type in your address eg 1 Wharf Rd, Chelmsford
3 Assuming the location is found, click the 'Send' link at the top right of the page
4 Click the 'Car' link, on the left of the new window
5 Fill in your details & add a phone number for the destination, if you want
6 Click 'Send' at the bottom of the window
7 Get into your car, click the voice entry button (assuming you have one), say 'My info' & then update your messages
8 You should now have the address you sent from Google maps, to which you can navigate & phone (if you entered a suitable phone number)

It's still not possible to accurately send GPS (non-address based) locations from Google maps via ConnectedDrive, but hopefully that will change at some point soon.

All the best.

Viv

BTW- no offence is intended to anyone living in Chelmsford
Attached Images

Appreciate 0