E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > new air filter help

07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
blood_Game18
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

Post new air filter help

Hi ,

I just got a new performance exhaust fitted on my car , want to change the air filter aswell , got this one from ebay -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711725434...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any help or information please as i want to fit this to my 320i 2007 coupe petrol.

07-31-2015, 05:08 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

that looks like a universal cone filter to me, its not designed as a drop-in replacement, you'll have to figure it out yourself, or return it and buy a proper kit.

Theres little point putting a filter like that on your car anyway. It'll probably just lead to it drawing in hot air from under the bonnet and making less power.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Do not buy those cheap unbranded filters. They can cause harm in the form of not filtering nearly well enough and destroying MAFs etc. I know this because I did it a few years back on my Golf 1.8t and the MAF died on the very first drive lol.

I've been in the tuning scene for about 8 years now and can tell you one conclusive statement: products like those are not going to achieve anything except a change in induction noise. The factory airbox flows well on most cars until you map it for a substantial gain in power, in which case you buy the expensive stuff - not £35 eBay trash.

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
blood_Game18
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

i installed it , the MAF seems to be working fine though , been about 5 days now . sounds a bit better but not that much difference , any suggestions on what i can get to increase the sporty sound ?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Do not buy those cheap unbranded filters. They can cause harm in the form of not filtering nearly well enough and destroying MAFs etc. I know this because I did it a few years back on my Golf 1.8t and the MAF died on the very first drive lol.

I've been in the tuning scene for about 8 years now and can tell you one conclusive statement: products like those are not going to achieve anything except a change in induction noise. The factory airbox flows well on most cars until you map it for a substantial gain in power, in which case you buy the expensive stuff - not £35 eBay trash.
      08-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Exhaust work is the only way to get a significant amount of noise. Have the backbox replaced with one that lets more noise through, or if you want to get really loud then have it deleted altogether. Have a word with Top Gear Exhausts in Watford maybe.

Last edited by AzRiz; 08-13-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
blood_Game18
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

followed you on insta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Exhaust work is the only way to get a significant amount of noise. Have the backbone replaced with one that lets more noise through, or if you want to get really loud then have it deleted altogether. Have a word with Top Gear Exhausts in Watford maybe.
      08-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_Game18 View Post
followed you on insta

Appreciate 0