E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Fix a torn/ripped Wind Deflector (mesh fabric)

03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
marcesq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Fix a torn/ripped Wind Deflector (mesh fabric)

Easy DIY - it's been holding up for a week, and I expect it to hold up well in the long-term.

The mesh (I presume polyester or nylon) fabric on the BMW e93 wind deflector (i.e., BMW part number 54347269437) is easily torn or ripped.

I found a product that seems up to the job to fix at least smaller rips. My rip was about 1 inch by 1/4 inch, and close to the edge of the wind deflector.

The product is Gear Aid Tenacious Tape (black). It is available through Amazon - get black!

I simply followed the instructions on the package, severely over-estimated the size of the tear, and applied the tape as shown in the attached picture. If it holds up in the long term, then I won't touch it.

If it starts to peel away, then I'll reapply with tape on both sides of the wind deflector fabric. If this happens, I will also cut the tape to a more appropriate size (I left it at it's natural width in the picture - too large for my rip).

The color/fabric blends in quite well, and the tape is advertised as working well with mosquito netting and camping gear, so here's hoping it holds up!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Tashii_CakezZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i 'vert <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcesq
Easy DIY - it's been holding up for a week, and I expect it to hold up well in the long-term.

The mesh (I presume polyester or nylon) fabric on the BMW e93 wind deflector (i.e., BMW part number 54347269437) is easily torn or ripped.

I found a product that seems up to the job to fix at least smaller rips. My rip was about 1 inch by 1/4 inch, and close to the edge of the wind deflector.

The product is Gear Aid Tenacious Tape (black). It is available through Amazon - get black!

I simply followed the instructions on the package, severely over-estimated the size of the tear, and applied the tape as shown in the attached picture. If it holds up in the long term, then I won't touch it.

If it starts to peel away, then I'll reapply with tape on both sides of the wind deflector fabric. If this happens, I will also cut the tape to a more appropriate size (I left it at it's natural width in the picture - too large for my rip).

The color/fabric blends in quite well, and the tape is advertised as working well with mosquito netting and camping gear, so here's hoping it holds up!
Nice...I've been putting off trying to fix the snag I have in mine.
Appreciate 0