E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Service reset DIY

03-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #177
supremegpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneraiLover View Post
I had to bring this back to life. I spent 45 min trying to change my Oil change indication date and miles but no matter what it says 06/2013 and 18k miles from now under the oil icon in secret menu. Also the service date is 5 years from now or 30K miles (car on the lift icon). How can I change the oil interval to lets say 8 months from now and 8-9K miles for the oil change and 15K miles or 1 year from now for the service interval? I tried changing date in the car and then reset to trick the computer, and no luck. Here is what I used to the tee:

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
I agree. I just changed the oil this weekend @ 52,000+ miles and when I did the service reset on the oil, the interval said 20,000 mls. Too far out man.

Last edited by supremegpc; 03-07-2012 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #178
DKx
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaso123 View Post
if you reset the brake service interval and after this you see red service light and "---------" You must change sensor. Why? read this:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...W+5+Series+E60

You may use old sensor if it is completly untouched. If surface of sensor is used car detect this, but do not show any warning. If you reset interval you must use new sensor, because car detect that sensor is old
Logically for this exists simple & economic solution.
If the sensor gives resistance about 0.5 kOhm, it means that the critical level was not reached and sensor may be reused, speculative with safe. You may simply connect the 1st phase wiring using solder.

At least I thing so. I have to change my brake pads soon so I will report if I was successful.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #179
SpeedCC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremegpc View Post
I agree. I just changed the oil this weekend @ 52,000+ miles and when I did the service reset on the oil, the interval said 20,000 mls. Too far out man.
Same here after yesterday's oil change. To help out the future owner I am going to start penning things into the manual such as "20k oil interval really means 2.6 oil changes need to be completed within that duration."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #180
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I know this thread is old but it's always a topic.
I just changed the oil today, I followed the instructions on page 1 post 1.
Did not work.
I have the 07 e90 with i drive
So I started the car then depressed the reset button, got the triangle than the oil light, pushed in the bc button, it showed reset, I pushed again and got the clock and it reset. Although it shows 15000 miles, I wrote down the mileage and plan to do it at 7500 instead of the 15k.
Thanks, this brought me in the right direction.
Only thing different I had to do was actually start the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #181
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
This one is a save!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #182
acg35
Rep
Drives: E92

Didn't work for my brake pads
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #183
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

What options can you reset?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #184
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

I can confirm this will work if you already have the "red car on a lift" icon displayed - as others have noted, wait for the red car to be replaced by the time, and then press the trip reset button.

You won't get the triangle, however - you'll be dumped right into the service menu as far as I can tell.

Wait a second or so after you see your first icon, then let the reset button go.

1: put fob in
2: hit the stop/start button
3: wait for the time to appear
4: depress and hold the trip reset button
5: Wait for the first icon to be displayed
6: After 1 second of the icon being displayed, let the trip button go
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #185
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Works like a champ, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #186
cubiza
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg35 View Post
Didn't work for my brake pads
I run into the same thing. I had to replace a brake pad sensor and then the reset worked no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #187
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

Worked for me just now. Had to reset my service and my oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #188
charz
Rep
Drives: 2006 Alpine White 330i

Me Too

After following this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post11824405 I couldn't understand why the OP of this post didn't work. By not working I mean I could see the menu choices but it would not let me reset them. On the other thread someone said it was definitely the rear sensor. WRONG! On my 06 330i it was the front sensor, Arrrggg

Anyway this poster here smithrh is 100% correct, you have to wait till the red car goes away. I however did not get the time icon after and I dont think it matters as long as you press and hold the trip reset after the red car goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
I can confirm this will work if you already have the "red car on a lift" icon displayed - as others have noted, wait for the red car to be replaced by the time, and then press the trip reset button.

You won't get the triangle, however - you'll be dumped right into the service menu as far as I can tell.

Wait a second or so after you see your first icon, then let the reset button go.

1: put fob in
2: hit the stop/start button
3: wait for the time to appear
4: depress and hold the trip reset button
5: Wait for the first icon to be displayed
6: After 1 second of the icon being displayed, let the trip button go
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #189
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quick FYI, mine was stuck on the car on lift.

If you have that issue, wait for service to disappear, when car on lift shows up, press BC once to clear, and then immediately press the trip button.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #190
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 M5

So I just changed my rear brakes and replaced the sensor with new one but I still get ------- when I try and reset the service interval. Any suggestions? Could I have damaged the sensor when installing, or installed it incorrectly?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #191
rich.com
Registered
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320i

I tried this and it workd great...great write up>>
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #192
DKx
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKx View Post
Logically for this exists simple & economic solution.
If the sensor gives resistance about 0.5 kOhm, it means that the critical level was not reached and sensor may be reused, speculative with safe. You may simply connect the 1st phase wiring using solder.

At least I thing so. I have to change my brake pads soon so I will report if I was successful.
After a longer period of forgetting, here are my results:
Because I have a 320d touring "only", I haven't those two-phase sensors, but the simple one (just a single wire), even only one per axle.
I had it wear already, so here was no soldering option and I had to buy a new one as others.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #193
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
This is what I did. The whole waiting for icons to change threw me off. Just do it off of time.

1) Insert key
2) Turn on car without pressing clutch or brake (engine will not start)
3) wait for service reminder to turn off and press the odometer button.
4) Hold button for 5-6 second and then release
5) Use left stalk to cycle through the options of which service reminder you want to reset.
6) press BC button to select option for reset. Hold BC button on reset option to perform reset (you will see a cycling clock icon).

7) unslot key to complete
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #194
vipulofcroydon
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: e91 & E60

Steering lock light (red)

With the Steering lock light on I am unable to reset the service indicator light.
I have followed these instructions:-

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

ALSO is it possible to reset the Steering lock indicator?

PLEASE HELP and I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM.
Many thanks in advance.

Vipul.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #195
vipulofcroydon
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: e91 & E60

Have been trying various combinations and success at last...

After step 2) .... service light comes up, immediately followed by Steering lock light.
The Steering lock light needs to "cleared" by pressing BC button..... wait for the "time" to be displayed. Now all the Steps 3 on wards work are per usual.

Vipul.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #196
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
I am having issues with the reset of my front brake pads and I'm hoping SOMEONE will know wtf is going on with my car. I followed the steps all the way to the end and am able to reset the front brake pads but when it resets, it doesn't apply a new mileage to the next notification. Mine was showing at -30mls but after I reset it, it now says ----mls and the service notification still pops up every time I start the car. Has anyone experienced this and can help?

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #197
simes205
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D F31 Msport

Very useful,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #198
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudyno View Post
I am having issues with the reset of my front brake pads and I'm hoping SOMEONE will know wtf is going on with my car. I followed the steps all the way to the end and am able to reset the front brake pads but when it resets, it doesn't apply a new mileage to the next notification. Mine was showing at -30mls but after I reset it, it now says ----mls and the service notification still pops up every time I start the car. Has anyone experienced this and can help?
Same here. But there is a sensor involved too. I dont know what mileage has to do with brake pads. We all drive differently and it is presumably the sensor that is what needs to be reset, not the mileage to next service.

I couldnt get into the service reset menue with the instructions in this post, it kept going to the car on lift indicator immediately after the triangle with exclamation point in it. But this worked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIV2fIZ0tfQ

Oh and read above where somebody posted a link to Bentley Publishing note about the sensor wearing out and basically it looks like we need to order new sensors.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 12-16-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 1