E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Coding Headunit to Hifi Advice.

01-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Syfer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Coding Headunit to Hifi Advice.

Hi all,

I have replaced my front speakers with the Jehnert 3 way set, added a JL XD700/5 now want to code my headunit to Hifi & remove the Audiocontrol LOC that I am currently using & add RCA's to the speaker cables & sent them direct to the amp.

My car is a 2006 E91 320D M with Business Nav, the rest of the car is upto date with the current software in every area via Autologic (Thanks to my Indie, Lakeside Motors, Wraysbury).

My question is, what do I need to ask them to do to code the HU to Hifi? Is there an option code that I need to give them or will it show up on the options on Autologic? Only reason I ask is that they have never carried out any coding on the Hifi apart from coding replacement units when they have failed etc.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

Not sure about autologic but depending upon where are you based I can come down to you and code it. Alternatively you can come down to me I am in HA4, not far from start of M40/A40 (Denham).
      01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

I guess going to afsar would be sensible approach especially when he has done it.

Re: Autologic, I have never tried it, but if you go to retrofit section and go for the option of adding hi-fi amp/ sound system, it should do the trick.

I remember reading somewhere that bussiness navigation is not easy to code to hi-fi but not sure how true is that.

I have mostly done professional HU, professional CIC/CCC and only one bussiness navigation so far.
      01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Syfer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's great thanks guys.

I may look around for a CCC system & throw this in before I have it done then. Seen them go for £3-400 & would quite like the widescreen.

Do you know, is there any difference in sound quality between Business & Pro head units?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Syfer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I guess going to afsar would be sensible approach especially when he has done it.

Re: Autologic, I have never tried it, but if you go to retrofit section and go for the option of adding hi-fi amp/ sound system, it should do the trick.

I remember reading somewhere that bussiness navigation is not easy to code to hi-fi but not sure how true is that.

I have mostly done professional HU, professional CIC/CCC and only one bussiness navigation so far.
Hi there,

Ok, it would seem that the only retrofit /upgrade option displayed on Autologic was Top Hifi /Logic 7. He did go ahead & pushed this update in & the car accepted it no worries. After the update there was no sound at all. from this we deduced that the Top Hifi /Logic 7 update requires the L7 amp & diverts the output to the MOST bus on the HU?

DO you guys know if this means I will defo need to upgrade my HU to CCC instead of the Business unit?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfer View Post
Hi there,

Ok, it would seem that the only retrofit /upgrade option displayed on Autologic was Top Hifi /Logic 7. He did go ahead & pushed this update in & the car accepted it no worries. After the update there was no sound at all. from this we deduced that the Top Hifi /Logic 7 update requires the L7 amp & diverts the output to the MOST bus on the HU?

DO you guys know if this means I will defo need to upgrade my HU to CCC instead of the Business unit?

Thanks.
There will be no sound if you retrofit Logic 7 option as signals will go to Fibre optic.

I've done Bussiness HU to hi-fi but you have to do the settings manually. Which means it is not possible on Autologic.
      01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Syfer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There will be no sound if you retrofit Logic 7 option as signals will go to Fibre optic.

I've done Bussiness HU to hi-fi but you have to do the settings manually. Which means it is not possible on Autologic.
Thanks for that, it makes sense. Would I benefit from coding it to L7 & using a Mobridge type converter or would I be better off just getting my HU done manually?

Lastly, do you know if there is any increse in sound quality between Business & Pro CCC?

Thanks again guys......
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that, it makes sense. Would I benefit from coding it to L7 & using a Mobridge type converter or would I be better off just getting my HU done manually?

Lastly, do you know if there is any increse in sound quality between Business & Pro CCC?

Thanks again guys......
L7 ---> MoBridge DA1/2 is going to cost you a lot though it eliminates any noise in the system. I would not go for it personally.

Considering Bussiness & Pro, Bussiness have more powerful drivers TBH (according to TIS).

If you have LOC alreadly there, I'd leave it as it is. You'd hardly gain anything except flat signals for your amp.
      02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Syfer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
L7 ---> MoBridge DA1/2 is going to cost you a lot though it eliminates any noise in the system. I would not go for it personally.

Considering Bussiness & Pro, Bussiness have more powerful drivers TBH (according to TIS).

If you have LOC alreadly there, I'd leave it as it is. You'd hardly gain anything except flat signals for your amp.
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me, sorry for the delay. Only just got round addressing this....

A flat signal for the amp is what I am hoping to acheive right now.

The LOC is fine but there is a high noise floor with a slight, barely audible alternator whine but my main problem is the stock HU seems to be equalising the signal terribly.

As a test over the weekend I connected my ancient Nakamichi CD400 up to the amp in the boot, bypassing the HU & the results were astonishing. Mid really opened up, bass deeper & tighter & the highs much better. It also plays louder & overall feels much more together & it is really noticable reverting back to th stock HU.

All this said, getting rid of the iDrive is not an option so I need to make the most of it. I am unsure if I should go for a processor or have the HU coded & add a Mobridge. Or maybe even upgrade to CCC or CIC so I can code to Hifi.....

The system is:

Business iDrive
Jehnert 3 way front comps
JL 700/5
Audiocontrol LC8I LOC
JL 10W3V2
I am using the Jehnert crossovers for the comps & underseats with amp xovers at: 70 sub, 70-200 Underseats & 200 up comps.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me, sorry for the delay. Only just got round addressing this....

A flat signal for the amp is what I am hoping to acheive right now.

The LOC is fine but there is a high noise floor with a slight, barely audible alternator whine but my main problem is the stock HU seems to be equalising the signal terribly.

As a test over the weekend I connected my ancient Nakamichi CD400 up to the amp in the boot, bypassing the HU & the results were astonishing. Mid really opened up, bass deeper & tighter & the highs much better. It also plays louder & overall feels much more together & it is really noticable reverting back to th stock HU.

All this said, getting rid of the iDrive is not an option so I need to make the most of it. I am unsure if I should go for a processor or have the HU coded & add a Mobridge. Or maybe even upgrade to CCC or CIC so I can code to Hifi.....

The system is:

Business iDrive
Jehnert 3 way front comps
JL 700/5
Audiocontrol LC8I LOC
JL 10W3V2
I am using the Jehnert crossovers for the comps & underseats with amp xovers at: 70 sub, 70-200 Underseats & 200 up comps.

Thanks.
If you are keen to have it coded to hi-fi, then get it coded by afsar or myself.