E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > ZR1 Review Per Wall Street Journal

02-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Pirate
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 135i

ZR1 Review Per Wall Street Journal

Jeff Sabatini says:

Last edited by Pirate; 05-12-2009 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
He obviously doesn't understand the joy of driving a sports car when he's whining about iPod connectivity.
      02-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

He spends 2/3rds of the article bitching about the interior. His observations may be legit, but if I'm buying a ZR1, I'm doing it because it is simply the baddest car sold for $100k, not because it's got a plush interior.

If the interior is that much of a priority, obviously it's the wrong choice. If serious performance techology is what you're looking for, the car is second to none for that kind of money.

I don't get financial advice from Jeremy Clarkson, and I don't really expect to get good automotive advice from the Wall St Journal. On second thought I don't really give a damn about their financial advice either, so that explains why I don't read it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Clarkson likes the ZR1. He drove one from San Fran to Bonneville.
Where this "reviewer" misses the boat is that the performance of the ZR1 puts it in a class of supercars where they frankly don't give a damn about how comfy you are. That's not the point of buying an exotic that will go 200 mph. Where the ZR1 excels is that it's a supercar you can drive everyday.
      02-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

A great review. I feel the same way about my Enzo. It has great performance, but it needs a couple of more cupholders. When i get them, some aftermarket seat warmers and get the suspension softened up so i dont have to low down at railroad crossing, it'll be the perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

What a shit article. I was in my friend's Modena, and the interior is pretty bare and spartan, but no one ever bitches about it because it's "Ferrari."

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

While I agree with you guys that the performance of the ZR1 is unprecedented at it's price, the reviewer still brings up a decent point. The interior is not up to snuff for a $100k car even if the performance is miles above any other car in it's price range.

They could have easily fitted a sportier version of the CTS interior inside and the problem would've been solved, but instead they just plopped a Cobalt interior in and gave you the option to cover the Fisher Price plastics in low grade leather.

If I was buying a ZR1 it would be for the performance, but the issue is still there imo...

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
While I agree with you guys that the performance of the ZR1 is unprecedented at it's price, the reviewer still brings up a decent point. The interior is not up to snuff for a $100k car even if the performance is miles above any other car in it's price range.

They could have easily fitted a sportier version of the CTS interior inside and the problem would've been solved, but instead they just plopped a Cobalt interior in and gave you the option to cover the Fisher Price plastics in low grade leather.

If I was buying a ZR1 it would be for the performance, but the issue is still there imo...
That point has always existed for the Corvette so it doesn't surprise us that the ZR1 has the same point, but what we're doing is going, " WTF?" since he spent so much time on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

I agree with the reviewer. he has a valid point. Car and driver said "it barely looks more special than a regular corvette".

Nobody is arguing about performance but I would spring the extra cash and get the ferarri or Lamborghini. Spending that much money you want something special. Anyone can make a car fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
I agree with the reviewer. he has a valid point. Car and driver said "it barely looks more special than a regular corvette".

Nobody is arguing about performance but I would spring the extra cash and get the ferarri or Lamborghini. Spending that much money you want something special. Anyone can make a car fast.
I'm pretty sure the ZR1 is something special.
      02-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
I'm pretty sure the ZR1 is something special.

its special among normal cars, its special among corvettes. its nothing compared to the other exotic cars it runs against. The only reason to buy the corvette is that its cheap in comparison. That is a form of special I guess. Bang for the buck it cant be beat.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
boringbmw
Banned
Rep
Drives: alfa 159 ti

[QUOTE=Boost Gomez;4489200]He obviously doesn't understand the joy of driving a sports car when he's whining about iPod connectivity.[/QUOTE

the corvette ain't no sports car. its a pile of junk.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^You are going to make it hard on yourself on this forum aren't you?
      02-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringbmw View Post
the corvette ain't no sports car. its a pile of junk.
suicide; i suggest you look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
I guess that is why the ZR1 is the fastest stock car to run the 'Ring? I mean all those exotics must have slowed down all those years to let the normal cars break the records? STFU!
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...rburgring-lap/

You don't see a lot of exotics lining up to prove they are faster, you wanna guess why?

I guess you dont get it. You are proving my point. Anyone can make a car faster. I have a right to my opinion and I am far from bashing the ZR1 its a fantastic near amazing car for the money. You can put tons of money into the the car to make it faster at the end of the day you have an amazingly fast corvette, but its no Ferrari. The looks, the feel, the quality will all be different and for the difference in price you would expect it.

So please take your STFU and place it somewhere more logical.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess you dont get it. You are proving my point. Anyone can make a car faster. I have a right to my opinion and I am far from bashing the ZR1 its a fantastic near amazing car for the money. You can put tons of money into the the car to make it faster at the end of the day you have an amazingly fast corvette, but its no Ferrari. The looks, the feel, the quality will all be different and for the difference in price you would expect it.

02-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post

1. It is not a ton of money compared to the cars it is whipping.
We should call you Mr Spock for pointing out the obvious
Quote:
2. I have right to my opinion that you posted stupid shit, and the facts support you being stupid.
You are the one telling me my opinion is wrong, which is funny as hell. I will leave "the facts support you being stupid" alone, its too obvious

Quote:
3. It is only a normal car in an idiot's eyes.
Or someone who can afford a true exotic.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

Its not a Ferrari, but you're not paying anywhere near Ferrari prices either. Anyway to match the ZR1's performance you would have to get no less than an Enzo. And also keep in mind that one of the reasons that Ferraris are so sought after is because they are so impracticle. So, no, the ZR1 is not a Ferrari and I hope the GM never tries to make it into one. They are extra expensive to maintain and they are fragile. The ZR1 is should be the exact opposite (of course the tires and breaks are going to cost a fortune to replace).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post

Its not a Ferrari, but you're not paying anywhere near Ferrari prices either. Anyway to match the ZR1's performance you would have to get no less than an Enzo. And also keep in mind that one of the reasons that Ferraris are so sought after is because they are so impracticle. So, no, the ZR1 is not a Ferrari and I hope the GM never tries to make it into one. They are extra expensive to maintain and they are fragile. The ZR1 is should be the exact opposite (of course the tires and breaks are going to cost a fortune to replace).
agreed. If I had millions to spend and had a choice between an Enzo or ZR1, im going with the Enzo and I dont care that the carbon fiber seats cost $20K each.

If I have a nice savings but work for a living im gong to buy the ZR1 and be happy.

Its impressive to get the performance for the price, I think we can all agree. The ZR1 is not targeted at people that can afford the lambo or Ferrari, its targeted at a different group.
Appreciate 0