E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > '08 328i throwing codes 2a98 and 2a17

03-18-2024, 06:32 PM   #1
jimmygu3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

'08 328i throwing codes 2a98 and 2a17

Hi folks! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I have had good luck with my '08 328i, which now has 105k on it, until today's estimate from the repair shop.

Last week my low coolant light came on, so I added about a quart and a half of coolant. This weekend it came on again and I added about a half quart. Then the Service Engine Soon light came on. Car runs great, btw. I was due for an oil change so I took it in to a local independent European auto shop for them to change the oil, check for a coolant leak and pull the codes. Here's what I got back.
  • Found coolant leak from the radiator. Replace with BMW radiator - $1,580.
  • Found code 2a98 Crankshaft Inlet Camshaft Correlation. Remove & Replace Variable Valve Timing Control Solenoids with Genuine BMW Solenoid with Gaskets for Vanos System - $983.
  • Found code 2a17 Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage (DMTL) System Fault. Remove & Replace Evaporative Emissions System Leak Detection Unit - $442.
  • Found oil leak from oil pan gasket. Replace oil pan gasket - $1,864.

FWIW, I can do some very basic driveway maintenance, but in I am not a mechanic, and would not want to attempt these repairs myself. I am just trying to figure out if their recommendations are the right thing to do. It's so much money for a car that runs great. I feel like yes, the radiator needs to be replaced. The oil pan gasket? I have needed to add a quart of oil over the past 2 years, so it's a VERY minor leak. I'm inclined to continue monitoring that one and save the money. Anybody have any input, particularly on replacing the solenoids and DMTL system? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

This is a total Rip off. Since this is basic driveway maintenance, you can do some yourself.

Vanos solenoids take 10 minutes to replace and cost $230 each, if you can change your oil you can change your solenoids. (I got mine on sale for $150 each). There are plenty of guides on trouble shooting vanos codes. I suggest you to swap the solenoids to see if the code moves to exhaust side. If that is not the case, take your e90 for that vanos recall which may cover your model. You'll get a new valve cover gasket out of it too.

If you have a laptop, try to install inpa and check how the cams advance. Compare requested vs actual position.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11367585425

That radiator job is also incredibly expensive. There's only a couple of things to remove, you can definitely do it yourself. Remember, the coolant system has to be primed afterwards. You may also consider buying some hoses as well in case they break after 16 years. Radiator isn't too expensive for genuine BMW, but there are really good after market solutions if you're up for it. RealOEM.com is your friend.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/17117559273/

Can't suggest anything for DMTL fault. Maybe someone more experience can chime in.

Check the oil pan yourself, I would just let it leak. $1800 for a RWD oil pan is also a rip off.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 03-20-2024 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:13 PM   #3
jimmygu3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
This is a total Rip off. Since this is basic driveway maintenance, you can do some yourself.

Vanos solenoids take 10 minutes to replace and cost $230 each, if you can change your oil you can change your solenoids. (I got mine on sale for $150 each). There are plenty of guides on trouble shooting vanos codes. I suggest you to swap the solenoids to see if the code moves to exhaust side. If that is not the case, take your e90 for that vanos recall which may cover your model. You'll get a new valve cover gasket out of it too.

If you have a laptop, try to install inpa and check how the cams advance.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11367585425

That radiator job is also incredibly expensive. There's only a couple of things to remove, you can definitely do it yourself. Remember, the coolant system has to be primed afterwards. You may also consider buying some hoses as well in case they break after 16 years. Radiator isn't too expensive for genuine BMW, but there are really good after market solutions if you're up for it. RealOEM.com is your friend.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/17117559273/

Can't suggest anything for DMTL fault. Maybe someone more experience can chime in.

Check the oil pan yourself, I would just let it leak. $1800 for a RWD oil pan is also a rip off.
Thank you so much, Suvorovo!

I called a few shops this morning and got quoted $800-$925 for the radiator. I assume that really needs replacing, but given all the other bs, maybe I need someone to start from scratch and diagnose the coolant leak.

I didn't even mention in my post that the oil pan gasket was originally listed as replacing the whole oil pan for like $3k. When I asked about it, the tech caught the "error" and reverted to just recommending replacing the gasket for a paltry $1,800. I think I'll stick with checking the oil once a month and adding a few tablespoons.

Regarding the codes, I asked if they tried resetting them and they said they did but the codes came right back up. I told another mechanic that and he said, "They're lying. Codes take a while to come back. Come by and I'll reset them for you and we'll see if they pop up again." When I went to the first shop and got the car, the SES light was already off. I drove it several times today for a total of about 10 miles and it has not come back on. Not saying I'm out of the woods, but again, the car runs great.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how things develop.
Appreciate 0