E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What is the deal with lowballing and refusing a RWC??

08-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
What is the deal with lowballing and refusing a RWC??

I feel like I'm missing something but recently I have been advertitising my old car (E46) for sale and I figured I've priced it very reasonably as it's the lowest on market for it's model in this State, but...

Everyone that has rang so far has offered 2 - 3k lower (on a 12k price!) and asking for it without a roadworthy certificate.
All but one of them have not even come to view the car before lowballing!

Am I missing something? I've never experienced this before with other cars.

Are they going to buy and resell it, or wind back (hack??) the odometer or something?
What is the purpose of buying it without a RWC, and how do you even organise a transfer of registration without a RWC?

The bloke that came to view it straight out told me that he would get a "friend" to complete the RWC (meaning it was going to be dodgy)... but if that happens for the sale, do they then try to claim the buyer hasn't to paid the necessary repair expenses once making the deal? what's the go?

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm in Victoria, and for all sales and transfer of (registered) vehicle ownership the car must satisfy a Roadworthy Certificate at the time of sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

You can make the sale without RWC and write your contract for them to sign whereby the purchaser is responsible from this date/time onwards for any fines accumulated on the number plate.

Also, you add that after 5 days you will call vicroads to cancel the registration unless a RWC has been gained and the transfer has taken place.

Finally state that the car is sold as is condition on xx/xx/xxxx date and that you are not responsible for any issues with the car. This home written contract will cover your ass

It is common to have people ask to purchase without RWC as a negotiation tactic - simply put, it is basically making an unconditional offer for your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
So in the case that I don't believe it will need much for a RWC, I should tell them no deal, not willing to drop 2K off.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

tell them to fk off. if you think your car is worth 12k then leave it at 12k. i sold my old honda euro to a guy for 9k and it had a Type R red dash in it which has 80000km less. Ive told him the real kms and he chucked it up for sale 2 weeks later for 11k and had the nerve to ask me to lie about the kms if anyone asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
I've been trying to sell our Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Combi with 45,000kms. Similar situation where I've priced it based on nation wide prices and accepting offers below asking.

However, there is a lot of low balling going around at the moment from people who are trying to pick up a bargain rather than having any enthusiasm or knowledge of the car. My main inquiries have surprisingly been interstate so I think they recognise the good value but still want to low ball.

Despite the offers I have had no one come to look at my car in over a month after 3 incremental price drops.

If yours is already sitting below the competition then I would be patient and wait for the enthusiast who wants a euro car and has an appreciation for what its worth. Alternatively just drop it slowly until it reaches a price point.

I'm not sure what is going on with this RWC stuff except I think you or the buyer can get a refund on the balance of the rego if it is being transferred interstate.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

It's not just you, I am getting lowballed at the top end of the market too. It really irritates me.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
tell them to fk off. if you think your car is worth 12k then leave it at 12k. i sold my old honda euro to a guy for 9k and it had a Type R red dash in it which has 80000km less. Ive told him the real kms and he chucked it up for sale 2 weeks later for 11k and had the nerve to ask me to lie about the kms if anyone asked.
lol

I recently sold a 97 prelude (which was given as a part trade for my wrx) for 3k and noticed it two weeks later on gumtree at 6.9k

The used car market is pretty sh*t atm. I've thought about it and I think one of the reasons may be because manufacturers are adding more features to their new car lineup and selling them at lower than normal prices.. thus competing with more used cars (eg of price reduction strategies: Mini Cooper S.. Toyota Hilux SR5.. Mazda3 SP25..)

Last edited by woosh; 08-05-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335iA

Good luck with the sale. I'm a car salesman so deal with that all day everyday. Sometimes people are just trying to kick start the negotiation process starting off super low. Not sure about the RWC thing because in SA we don't need them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

If you sell as a private sale through Gumtree or carsales you should expect to take on board all the greff and hassle that goes with it.

Yep i know its a pain but you could pick up a few extra $$$$$ over a trade in deal.

Or just trade it in and have no hassles, sometimes its the best way.
Appreciate 0