E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Points and interest and night mode not working?

03-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i

Points and interest and night mode not working?

Hey folks.

I just got my new 09 so hang in here with me. I swear I'm not crazy, and have fully read the manual. I went out tonight to mess with a few things and take a cruise. Prior to driving tonight I put night mode as a preset. I forgot if it was off or on, but in the end i now have gray terrain followed by white or black lines for roads. But the sky is still bluish, not dark.

Does daytime mode have tan colored terrain and blue sky? Anyway, I hit the night mode off and on with navigation map in full screen and it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't know what the deal is. and I thought that was very odd.

Then I noticed points of interested and decided to add fuel stations. Are those POI's suppose to show up on the map? Because they don't. At least not on full screen. But if I do a search, they show up when the search is on the left side and the tiny map is on the right. For a guy that's tech savey, I'm confused!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Hey folks.

I just got my new 09 so hang in here with me. I swear I'm not crazy, and have fully read the manual. I went out tonight to mess with a few things and take a cruise. Prior to driving tonight I put night mode as a preset. I forgot if it was off or on, but in the end i now have gray terrain followed by white or black lines for roads. But the sky is still bluish, not dark.

Does daytime mode have tan colored terrain and blue sky? Anyway, I hit the night mode off and on with navigation map in full screen and it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't know what the deal is. and I thought that was very odd.

Then I noticed points of interested and decided to add fuel stations. Are those POI's suppose to show up on the map? Because they don't. At least not on full screen. But if I do a search, they show up when the search is on the left side and the tiny map is on the right. For a guy that's tech savey, I'm confused!
You have traffic maps enabled, which means no POI and no night map.

Hit options. Click on Map settings, and uncheck traffic maps.

Note that you will still get traffic info in the form of icons on the screen (like little triangles next to roads that are congested).

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Note that you will still get traffic info in the form of icons on the screen (like little triangles next to roads that are congested).
ohhhhh, i certainly remember enabling traffic maps at some point. So whats the difference between traffic maps and regular? The manual doesn't explain much. I just have a vehicle manual, no iDrive manual.

Thanks though for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Don't get mad at me, but I'm going to fall back on the tired old "hit the search button" retort. This has been discussed to death here.

The bottom line is that the traffic maps are grayscale with color lines to indicate traffic. Basically mimics googlemaps and is totally useless.

I recommend sticking with the standard more colorful (and more readable) map that has icons to indicate traffic flow.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

No problem. I was just confused because I never read it in the manual. Thanks for the help. -Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

Wow, i have been trying to solve this for 11 months (without using the interent for some reason). My dealer and the service station i go to both say its a glitch and its common among 3's. Thanks guys, we need some more enthusiasts in the sales and service dept
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Old thread but this info explains why I couldn't get Night Mode to work when we took redelivery of our car 3-1/2 weeks ago even though it worked fine in Europe. Of course we didn't have traffic maps enabled there as it wouldn't have worked, but enabled it here. Never imagined the two were related.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
TheSubmariner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Monaco Blue 'vert

Halleiluiya! Praise the Lord.

Had the same problem. Internet search is your friend !

This is bound to happen to iDrive newbies such as myself
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Anyone know if you can set night view to come on automatic with the light, have used a preset button for night view which is easy to use but just wondered if there was a link to main headlights being on/off
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Col Mustard
Pushing Rope in the Cellar
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former - 335d Montego

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Anyone know if you can set night view to come on automatic with the light, have used a preset button for night view which is easy to use but just wondered if there was a link to main headlights being on/off
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
cole92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Unfortunately there isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Smile

Thanks for reply, I will look no further and stay with my 'button' option
Appreciate 0