E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2011 335i Idrive malfunction and burnt smell

03-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
iconfat
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Exclamation 2011 335i Idrive malfunction and burnt smell

Hi guys,

Long time lurker and first time poster. This is by far the best 3 series forum out there and have learned a lot from everyone.

I purchased a new 2011 335i e92 back in July. I've put just over 6000km on it since I purchased it and its been a dream to drive. I really love it.

Tonight I went out and parked the car on a suburban street while visiting some family. I decided to go out and pick up some pizza.
I hopped in the car and started her up. First thing I noticed was a distinct smell of burning plastic coming from my vents. I looked at my idrive console the screen was black. A ticking noice was coming through my speakers in an endless loop. One similar to what cell phones do when they are close to speakers. My dash had a picture of SOS with a slash in it.

Turning off the car did not help. I started it back up and same thing happened so I pressed the SOS button near my rearview mirror. After holding it down, It connected to BMW assist. As the call was connecting, my idrive console sprang to life. I talked to the BMW rep and told him something is burining in my car. He offered to send a tow, but since my idrive console started working again I told him I'd call them back.

I turned the car off and on and Idrive was working as usual. I booked a service with BMW and hopefully they can see me saturday as the burnt smell is still lingering in my car. I smells like its coming from the idrive console. Hopefully the smell goes away.

I posted this thread here because I searched the internet and found the only cars with this idrive problem and burnt smell are BMW 5 series. Obviously this is not the case.

I'll report back with an update after I bring it in to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

...ever notice how all of those ICs (integrated circuits / computer chips) are
black or gray? That's the smoke inside them and what makes them work!
Unfortunately, you've let the smoke out of one or more of them. When that
happens, they stop working.

Hopefully, the dealer has a machine that can put the smoke back in!

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
iconfat
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Back with the update and closure.

The idrive system was tested at the dealer and passed all tests . However, the display unit still had a lingering smell and the dealer was able to replace it under warranty. some chip must have burnt inside of it.
My car was in the shop for two days so it wasn't that bad. Hopefully the new monitor won't go anytime soon.
Appreciate 0