E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > job interveiws

12-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
job interveiws

I'm a freelance it contractor so i get to go to a lot of these.
Boy do they suck, recently i have had the most anal interveiwers ever.
The ones i hate like key scratches along the whole side of My car are the agenst who post fake jobs just to get refs for leads and make you wait three days before telling you that you're unsuccessful. nice.

I have started saying " im sorry i dont give refrences till the final stage or
is there actually a contract or are you generating leads, the more inexperienced agents then try to lie but their fairly obvious to spot.

we all have to pay for fuel somehow....
      12-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

I'm in the same line of work. I always put on my cv 'references available on request'. I would never provide these until after an interview with the client, and only then assuming I was interested in the position. That said, in all my years of IT contracting (>12), I've never once had a reference taken up,... weird when you consider the hurdles permies have to go through to get a new permie job...
      12-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

I'm a contractor as well and I would never dream of giving out refs until after I had been interviewed by the client!

Actually I don't think I have ever been asked to supply before I had been shown a offer letter or contract.

J.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I lost two jobs when I was young due to recruitment consultants. One sent my CV to my current employer. The second asked for references from my employer before I had resigned my position.

I was young and naive then and didn't take it further. With what I know today I'd take them (and the employer) to the cleaners.

I wouldn't supply contacts for a reference until the job was offered, 'subject to satisfactory references'

There are some good consultants out there but I would put them in the same league as double glazing salesman, car salesman and politicians.....would sell their kids to earn a buck!!!! (Sorry if I offend. I am a salesman and have been a car salesman. Takes one to know one )
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
That said, in all my years of IT contracting (>12), I've never once had a reference taken up,... weird when you consider the hurdles permies have to go through to get a new permie job...
I've never had one of my referrences contacted but I have been asked to give ref's for colleagues but only the ones working directly for a telco
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I have been contracting for about 10> years now and some of these guys are really bad. I have had the few though who are super cool, but they never seem to worry about getting work in lol, I had a really cool blast down the m3 to m27 to whitely to see an agency called match tech, they had some class cars in the parking lot, loads of E90's and a ferrari 456 GT i think. Even my agent had a racing and track car..
      12-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I lost two jobs when I was young due to recruitment consultants. One sent my CV to my current employer. The second asked for references from my employer before I had resigned my position.

I was young and naive then and didn't take it further. With what I know today I'd take them (and the employer) to the cleaners.

I wouldn't supply contacts for a reference until the job was offered, 'subject to satisfactory references'

There are some good consultants out there but I would put them in the same league as double glazing salesman, car salesman and politicians.....would sell their kids to earn a buck!!!! (Sorry if I offend. I am a salesman and have been a car salesman. Takes one to know one )
why would they sack you? they would have already seen your cv before you started with them.
      12-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
why would they sack you? they would have already seen your cv before you started with them.
I hope that's a wind up Carl.

Because I was looking for another job and wasn't showing any commitment to my current employer. They gave me four weeks notice to find a new job. Today employment law is on the side of the employee. Firstly harder to get rid of you. Secondly I could get them for constructive dismissal if they tried.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zk1 View Post
I'm a freelance it contractor so i get to go to a lot of these.
Boy do they suck, recently i have had the most anal interveiwers ever.
The ones i hate like key scratches along the whole side of My car are the agenst who post fake jobs just to get refs for leads and make you wait three days before telling you that you're unsuccessful. nice.

I have started saying " im sorry i dont give refrences till the final stage or
is there actually a contract or are you generating leads, the more inexperienced agents then try to lie but their fairly obvious to spot.

we all have to pay for fuel somehow....
+1 Damn - I mean wasting time calling you up and pretending they have a role for you...
      12-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I can understand, but would actually prefer it if they said, looking we're fucking broke twats who did bull shit degrees and have to reach our sales target, so give us your mates numbers at work and we'll harass them for you. Also we don't have any relevent work for you because hey if we did we, you'd be the last fecking person we'd call bitch.
Thanks, goodbye.

the flipside is some are really cool guys when they get you work and they bend over backwards to make sure your ok, they take you out for coffee drinks etc, christmas parties. tell you what havent had one of those yet !
      12-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'm not knocking anyone who's an IT recruitment agent on this site tbh.
Only the absolute wankers who make money for every hour we work and then spend it on a convertable Audi A4 1.8T, 55 plate usually. Argggghhhhh Audis !!!!!!!!

End of Rant
      12-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Because I was looking for another job and wasn't showing any commitment to my current employer. They gave me four weeks notice to find a new job. Today employment law is on the side of the employee. Firstly harder to get rid of you. Secondly I could get them for constructive dismissal if they tried.
No offence but that is a crock. Employment law is definately on the side of the employee. Ask anyone who has their own business or works in a postion where they need to get rid of people.

The amount of hassel you need to go through to get rid of someone even if they are usless is unreal.

J.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can understand, but would actually prefer it if they said, looking we're fucking broke twats who did bull shit degrees and have to reach our sales target, so give us your mates numbers at work and we'll harass them for you. Also we don't have any relevent work for you because hey if we did we, you'd be the last fecking person we'd call bitch.
Thanks, goodbye.

the flipside is some are really cool guys when they get you work and they bend over backwards to make sure your ok, they take you out for coffee drinks etc, christmas parties. tell you what havent had one of those yet !
If your attracting that kind of agencies I think it says more about your CV than the agents themselves.

I currently work for a decent(ish) agent, he has place me for the last couple of years, but I am making him a serious amount of money for doing very little (thats him not me). In return I get paid 28 days after I invoice even though I know for a fact he has to wait 42 days before he gets paid.

I'm not interested in being taken out for coffee, getting a free lunch. Christ I work enough hour without having to babysit an agent kissing my arse. I want someone to pay me on time, negiate my contract at renewel - he earns a percentage of what I get so it is in his own interest and to leave me alone.

If I wanted to get taken out for coffee I would put on a skirt and grow my hair.

J.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
No offence but that is a crock. Employment law is definately on the side of the employee. Ask anyone who has their own business or works in a postion where they need to get rid of people.

The amount of hassel you need to go through to get rid of someone even if they are usless is unreal.

J.
Isn't that what I said.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have been contracting for about 10> years now and some of these guys are really bad. I have had the few though who are super cool, but they never seem to worry about getting work in lol, I had a really cool blast down the m3 to m27 to whitely to see an agency called match tech, they had some class cars in the parking lot, loads of E90's and a ferrari 456 GT i think. Even my agent had a racing and track car..
Match Tech? Who did you deal with? A couple of my mates for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that what I said.
Apologies, re-reading it apperently yes!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Acutally my post just goes to prove that men can't multi-task... TV and the net...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
Acutally my post just goes to prove that men can't multi-task... TV and the net...
That's why my wife is an E90post widow in the lounge with the TV and I'm at my desk posting
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
+1000000000000000000000 ignoring your wife to post on E90 post
      12-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #20
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's why my wife is an E90post widow in the lounge with the TV and I'm at my desk posting
It would be beneficial to all if I did the same by the looks of it...
Appreciate 0