E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Underboost - vacuum lines replaced and can't find a boost leak

10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super View Post
its w/e...what can you do? once you start modifying stuff shit is bond to happen
yea... to some extent.. but it sucks when something new doesn't work as it should and needs 12 hours of labor to fix...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
yea... to some extent.. but it sucks when something new doesn't work as it should and needs 12 hours of labor to fix...
thats true! but damn 12hrs! ASR mechanic is a pro at it already he does it super quick
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thats true! but damn 12hrs! ASR mechanic is a pro at it already he does it super quick
if i remember right book time was 12 hours.... it took me 16 on jack stands on the garage floor with no assistant to hand tools or anything... totally solo... would certainly be faster a 2nd time.. but it's no 3 or 4 hour job :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
vac boost solenoids? They blow sometimes and are cheap to replace. Frozen boost has a cheap leak tester too. It helped me find some pin holes in my dv couplers..

Interested to know how forge (diverter valves) tore your wastegate diaphragm?
      10-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
vac boost solenoids? They blow sometimes and are cheap to replace. Frozen boost has a cheap leak tester too. It helped me find some pin holes in my dv couplers..

Interested to know how forge (diverter valves) tore your wastegate diaphragm?
i got the vacuum pump on there, and they are holding vacuum, and put a gauge on to measure vacuum off the solenoids... both look good as far as i can tell... car asks for 20" and the actuators hold 20"

they had forge actuators... forge fixed them up.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

mine always leaked at the diverter valves connection and underboosted..check that
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #29
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

what were the codes... I don't know what would happen if a MAP sensor failed, but maybe DME wouldn't allow boost. Datalog with the procede. drivable right, just no boost. thought I noticed you mentioned map3 when skimming... this is the no boost map.

For wastegate solenoids, probably want to check vacuum when both are connected and downstream between solenoid and wastegate. on start up wastegates should move from open to closed.

wastegate flapper cup or linkage to arm separated? the cup is 2 pieces i think.

Just throwing some things out there... but really don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #30
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
if i remember right book time was 12 hours.... it took me 16 on jack stands on the garage floor with no assistant to hand tools or anything... totally solo... would certainly be faster a 2nd time.. but it's no 3 or 4 hour job :-)
idk this guy does it quick ask oddjob if you dont believe me
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #31
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Angry the answer

Quote:
idk this guy does it quick ask oddjob if you dont believe me
maybe i should fly that guy out here !!!!

yea.. update.. bad news... I wasn't crazy... front turbo is seized up, won't turn/move AT ALL...

No oil in the exhaust side... when i pulled the compressor output hose, there was some oil there, haven't gotten the compressor input side off yet so i can't report the state of that....

chatted with ASR yesterday... sending them back, will get it fixed (under warranty if possible, depending on how/why it broke).... will probably have them do the separation wall delete as well as the actuator upgrades...

so those with the forge actuators, aside from the initial troubles, is all good so far ? how are they made inside ? do you expect longer life out of them than the stock ones ? anyone looked at the inside of them ? (i don't want them if they require somewhat regular cleaning/greasing like the DVs... i want "put em in and forget about em, forever"

I probably will NOT wait for the compressor wheel upgrade as it hasn't been produced or tested yet, and I can't have my car sitting in pieces for months...

thanks everyone for the help/ideas... at least i was sure i had checked everything before i pulled the DPs (basically expecting bad news down there, cut my yelling and swearing down a bit )
Appreciate 0