E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Best BMS map? (Sorry for ANOTHER BMS thread)

12-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Best BMS map? (Sorry for ANOTHER BMS thread)

I got my BMS installed about 4-5 months ago for the simple fact that I hated the throttle lag. As I left the shop in MAP 3 it pulled like crazy and I was very impressed with the difference, however maybe I got used to it over time and now I feel like I have no tune whatsoever. I also never tried any other maps to see if there was anything better.

What maps do you guys use and why?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
I got my BMS installed about 4-5 months ago for the simple fact that I hated the throttle lag. As I left the shop in MAP 3 it pulled like crazy and I was very impressed with the difference, however maybe I got used to it over time and now I feel like I have no tune whatsoever. I also never tried any other maps to see if there was anything better.

What maps do you guys use and why?
Feel free to play with all the maps, there is no harm in doing so and it's extremely easy to change. Sometimes, I would even do it while in traffic.
      12-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
benjamin0704
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 x5 turbo  [0.00]
Im having the same problem. its almost like the adaptive throttle in our cars is interfering with the powerbox. I reset the box and put it back in map 3 (I have never taken it out of map 3) and my cars back to the way it was when i fist installed the pbx. Almost every time i step into my car these days i have to reset the pbx before starting the car so the tune actually works. I dont know whats up with the powerbox but its starting to really piss me off! After 6 months the tune pretty much fell apart
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin0704 View Post
Im having the same problem. its almost like the adaptive throttle in our cars is interfering with the powerbox. I reset the box and put it back in map 3 (I have never taken it out of map 3) and my cars back to the way it was when i fist installed the pbx. Almost every time i step into my car these days i have to reset the pbx before starting the car so the tune actually works. I dont know whats up with the powerbox but its starting to really piss me off! After 6 months the tune pretty much fell apart
It's not the powerbox. It's the car adapting to YOUR driving style. You're probably driving in traffic with a super aggressive remap.
      12-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
benjamin0704
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 x5 turbo  [0.00]
ok, soooo the PBX is in fact vulnerable to the active throttle response in our cars. Honestly the only reason why I purchased the PBX is because I wanted to completely de-activate the active throttle response in my car and the guys at burger motorsports assured me that the stock system would not cause any interference with the PBX. I drive at full throttle almost every time i step on the gas (...i have ALOT of tickets)
and the powerbox still needs to be reset everytime i step into the car for it to work full effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

How in the world can anyone drive at full throttle almost everytime I step on the gas???? Where do you live? Bonneville?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Apparently you can reset the adaptive throttle but I think it's more placebo than anything. I don't know how you can stand driving on map 3.. I took my car around the block in DS and when I came back to the garage, my fan was activated which HARDLY ever happens but then again I haven't abused her up until I installed my PBX. Try map 2 (60%). It retains the anti-lag pick-up but is more subtle for day-to-day casual driving.
      12-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
ok, soooo the PBX is in fact vulnerable to the active throttle response in our cars. Honestly the only reason why I purchased the PBX is because I wanted to completely de-activate the active throttle response in my car and the guys at burger motorsports assured me that the stock system would not cause any interference with the PBX. I drive at full throttle almost every time i step on the gas (...i have ALOT of tickets)
and the powerbox still needs to be reset everytime i step into the car for it to work full effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
How in the world can anyone drive at full throttle almost everytime I step on the gas???? Where do you live? Bonneville?
I had the PBX installed for a year, and I never had any problem with it. If anything, the ECU adapting is a good thing as the initial throttle response was too jarring for me. If you can't press the pedal more than 15%, then you have the wrong car altogether.
      12-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I had the PBX installed for a year, and I never had any problem with it. If anything, the ECU adapting is a good thing as the initial throttle response was too jarring for me. If you can't press the pedal more than 15%, then you have the wrong car altogether.
I agree and do get into the throttle quite a bit. But the poster said he drives at WOT (last I knew this stood for Wide Open Throttle) as in floored. He drives like this whenever he hits the gas?? Just calling BS on some of our pre-pubescent members!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what happens to me. I think these other guys are right. We are using a map that's too aggressive for everyday driving. Be honest you don't ALWAYS drive WOT. Lol. Unless you live on Texas roads or are Paul Walker.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Just found this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618637

Sorry if my thread is pretty much a duplicate.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Does the PBX store your settings on a solid state chip? if not, there has to be a constant power draw or a battery to retain what map setting you choose, otherwise when the power is cut (ignition off) it will be reset.

I wonder if the wire for constant power, or battery inside it have either become disconnected or died
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Does the PBX store your settings on a solid state chip? if not, there has to be a constant power draw or a battery to retain what map setting you choose, otherwise when the power is cut (ignition off) it will be reset.

I wonder if the wire for constant power, or battery inside it have either become disconnected or died
It's NOT reset if you turn your ignition off. However, if your battery dies, there's a chance it will be reset.

However, I cannot express this enough: THE POWERBOX IS A MUST HAVE. There are NO DOWNSIDES because you can sell it for exactly what you paid!!!

It's EXTREMELY easy to change maps. I said this before, but I actually do it IN traffic sometimes.
      12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
It's NOT reset if you turn your ignition off. However, if your battery dies, there's a chance it will be reset.

However, I cannot express this enough: THE POWERBOX IS A MUST HAVE. There are NO DOWNSIDES because you can sell it for exactly what you paid!!!

It's EXTREMELY easy to change maps. I said this before, but I actually do it IN traffic sometimes.
I think you may have missed my point then. I apologize if I didn't explain that clearly.

If the PBX resets if your battery dies, then it must require power at all times to remember what map setting you chose, even in standby mode.

If the OP's Powerbox is forgetting its setting everytime he turns off the car, then there is a good chance that the power connection for the 'standby power' of the Powerbox got disconnected somehow. (bad connection?)

So the PBX works fine once the car is started (when it gets power from the ignition), but when it is in standby mode, it no longer gets power so it forgets which map he chose, and he would have to pick the map again when he starts the car the next time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
I think you may have missed my point then. I apologize if I didn't explain that clearly.

If the PBX resets if your battery dies, then it must require power at all times to remember what map setting you chose, even in standby mode.

If the OP's Powerbox is forgetting its setting everytime he turns off the car, then there is a good chance that the power connection for the 'standby power' of the Powerbox got disconnected somehow. (bad connection?)

So the PBX works fine once the car is started (when it gets power from the ignition), but when it is in standby mode, it no longer gets power so it forgets which map he chose, and he would have to pick the map again when he starts the car the next time.
No no, my apologies ZZZZ. I've been posting in like 4 PBX threads I forgot what this one was even about lol.

And that's a good observation. OP should check his connections!
      12-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
benjamin0704
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 x5 turbo  [0.00]
yeah im gana have a look at my powerbox the next time i get a chance dissemble my entire car (...) because this wouldnt be the first time a cable has come undone. And yes i drive WOT alot because my modified 330 cant even keep up with a fucking acura v-tec.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Dark BMW
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 328 coupe..01'325ci R.I.P.

changing maps

Quote:

I have the pbx and from my understanding , you cannot change maps with the engine on, how are you doing it in traffic??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark BMW View Post
I have the pbx and from my understanding , you cannot change maps with the engine on, how are you doing it in traffic??
I turn it off. It can be done that fast.