E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help with E93 trunk leaks

05-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Help with E93 trunk leaks

If anyone has any experience with trunk leaks i could use your help
yes i searched and read about the taillight and such.
FYI my car is at the dealership and they have been water testing it for 4 days and haven't found where the leak is.

on Thursday morning after a rain storm the night before, the second i got in the car all my speakers were popping.
When i got to work i read about how it is most likley the amp going dead.
when i got back in the car (car had been sitting all day in a garage) the speakers worked until i hit the incline of the garage, then everything went silent (honestly it was better then having the loud popping that i thought was going to blow my speakers)
when i got home i opened my trunk, and the liner was wet at the most forward part of the trunk (above the rear wheel well).
The left side compartment in the trunk that has the towing tools, had water at the rear most section.

they have checked everything and are goign to give my car back today.
I am worried for my logic 7 amp, and will always have this in th eback of my mind.
i picked this up CPO 1 month ago, and this was its first rainstorm.

they think either it had been there for a while, or that maybe i left the trunk open.
I know it wasnt there earlier in the week as i installed a Technic harness on my amp and everything was dry.

I also know i didnt leave the trunk open or i would have gotten a HUD alert when i started the car in the morning,

I also know the top was fully up as i let the cycle go until the windows went up.....and obv my interior wasnt soaking.

anyone have any ideas?

i am about to have a sound system installed, and a carbon trunk....but need to get this issue sorted out
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

no problems here but i'm subscribing so please tell us what they find
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

BMW wants to replace all my tops seals which is crazy money.
I think they are just wanting to replace more stuff then they need to.
i put the amp cradle on spacers and pulled the exhaust valve tube's rubber plg up so it will drain out.
hopefully this will prevent my amp from getting soaking wet it leaks again.
it rained while in the lot and bmw water tested it 10 times before they found the leak.
they had to hit it with the pressure washer at a specific angle so it will only happen in a very bad rain storm.
I am just going to have to keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
el mayimbe
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93

i had the same problem it has to be the chrome molding on the left quarter panel
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
justin1
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i, mSport, Arctic

I have a 2012 128i and have experienced the exact same problems that you have.
all the lining wet, water in the bottom of the battery bay, popping speakers. I have NO idea how all that water got in, I keep my car in an underground garage.. maybe car washes?
troubling.
Appreciate 0