Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Conti Sport Contact 3 worn in 20k...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Conti Sport Contact 3 worn in 20k...

Well, I bought these because they had supposedly a higher wear rating than most other performance tires but I guess that doesn't mean much...

I'm really disappointed that the steel belt was showing at just over 20k miles. Yes, I should have replaced them sooner but I didn't realize they had worn out that fast.
All indications from Continental and the tire store were that these should last 30k plus easily.
I don't drive them hard either. Most of the driving is pretty easy commuting.

Has anybody else had a similar experience with these tires? I'm sure there's no recourse for me to recoup some money since they didn't have a mileage warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Well here is just an FYI.

Treadwear ratings are only to be used as a tool when comparing the same company.

Example, Continental 200 tread wear and continental 300 treadwear.

If you compare a 300 treadwear continental to a 300 treadwear goodyear, you will have a different result in terms of treadwear.

Similarly you can find a 250 Treadwear from X company out last a 350 treadwear from Z company. Thats just so you understand that treadwear numbers are bologna LOL.

As far as your situation, I dont know, but im not surprised with any performance tire not lasting 20K. I'm just used to it though, and I've had experienes with continental, more specifically their all season high performance line up eating tire within 10-12K.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

^
+1

If your "easy commute" involves coarse roads you can expect lower tread life. Like the difference between driving over 100 grit vs. 500 grit sandpaper. If the tires didn't come out with an explicit mileage warranty, than you are SOL.
      12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I understand the different companies tread rating being different.
I based some of my decision off of reviews from people actually using the tires as well which led me to believe I could expect longer.
I guess this is my first exposure to the sucky wear of sport performance tires. This is the longest I've owned a car in the last 10 years. I guess I was getting rid of the other ones before having to replace.

It almost makes me want to go back to the all seasons and lose some grip but gain wear.
$1k plus for tires isn't that big of a deal. Just sucks when you have to spend that almost once a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

^
+1

If your "easy commute" involves coarse roads you can expect lower tread life. Like the difference between driving over 100 grit vs. 500 grit sandpaper. If the tires didn't come out with an explicit mileage warranty, than you are SOL.
      12-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

You gotta pay to play.. When it comes to performance tires, it's the name of the game. I get about 12k miles out of my rear F1 Asymmetrics.

I would be thrilled to get 20k miles out of a set.
Appreciate 0