E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Pic taken of your car?

06-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #23
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I was hit with a 'wave' of anxiety when I saw two men approach my car and I can't go back to feeling/living that way again as it's too stressful.

Maybe I just wanted some reassurance about the incident but there we go eh.
Hi Helen

I can understand your anxiety, but I'm sure it was just a couple of guys admiring what is a fantastic car. Taking pics in broad daylight with an obvious foreign plate on their car is hardly a stealth move favoured by thieves. Although I would never stop and take a photo of a car, unless it was really rare, I would certainly pause to admire a Turbo or other supercar. It is still quite a rare site in many areas...certainly not common!

Hope you feel reassured a bit.

Gav

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I'd not worry to much about it - although I can see the bad side to it - but I think it's highly unlikely it was anything unsavoury.

Perhaps they were a couple of Dutch Porsche freaks admiring and snapping a sweet motor....?
      06-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #25
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Have you not seen 'Gone in 60 Seconds'??? Took piccies of all the cars before knicking them I'm only winding you up 99% chance it's just people who love 911's, and especially a Turbo, and wanted a quick snap to drool over.

...just check your insurance though

It's not the most common sight on the roads though, you could go weeks without seeing one in some parts of the country, I'd say people would still stop to give it attention (unless you were parked next to a Zonda of course!!!). I'd go down the 'flattered' route. I've only had my car just over a week and already had numerous 'nice car mate' shouts, does give your ego a gentle rub - must stop cruising past schools though
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #26
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Roger lol, seriously if you want to be late to EVERTHING buy something really old and live in an area where theres about 10 old people to 1 young, you always get someone stop you to talk about your car and for them to tell you about the "good old days" when they had one and how they wished they'd "hung on to it!"

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #27
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

If it was a Vectra I'd be worried 911 tub not so, it is a rare car unless you live in Wilmslow or Altrincham. Don't worry I'm sure there is nothing in it and just a couple of car fans admiring what is a very nice car

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #28
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
were just 'common folk' to her now
      06-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #29
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I reckon its nothing to worry about.

Dont forget, the continent is very different, and Holland are not massive motorists (in terms of sales) so it stands to reason that when they see a nice car, they like it.

As a nation, I find them generally likeable and trustworthy too

I spent a while in St Tropez last week, and to be honest, a 997 911T wouldnt have been out of place - in fact it would probably show a bit of nouse amongst the more expensive, but shat exotica that was around there.

If these blokes were from a village that has only got electricity because of a local windmill which is quite possible - thats why they photoed your car.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
Mr_Patience
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Coupe

Beware Dutchmen car-spotters.... blending into the background since the 1960's
Attached Images

06-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #31
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Just a bit paranoid here methinks. They're two lonely Dutchmen who happened to stumble over a rare car and thought hey lets take a pic.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #32
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

If you come to London, its even worse Helen. You will get young kids hanging around your car at carparks, and that would proper freak you out I would guess. its just a paranoid moment for you and nothing else. Did you check for prints?
      06-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #33
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
I like cars, I take pics if I see something I like when I'm out. If the driver/owner is about I ask if its Ok if not i snap away. I take pics of 997Ts, M3s, MK Gikf GTis.

To me its the car and not if its rare. I see no harm in it but I can undertand the concern from your angle as its a very, very nice car but any 'real' thief woiuld know you can't just pop back later on and drive it away.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #34
bigfriendlyg
Why Play The Game When You Can Set Up Your Own?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i saloon

Garage List
2006 320i SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Helen - maybe you have become a little complacent?

To many folk, even a bog standard 320d is a dream car - you have worked up from a 335, Cayman and now a 997 Turbo!

To a huge amount of people a 997T is a dream supercar they would buy 'if they won the lottery'
I agree.... Sorry ur cars hot stuff....

Quote:
Tony - please just delete this thread.

Don't understand the interest in the car...........hardly rare ffs.
Sorry disagree its pretty rare if u compare it to your focus, astra so on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
were just 'common folk' to her now
I know the feelin and it hurts....

Quote:
I was hit with a 'wave' of anxiety when I saw two men approach my car and I can't go back to feeling/living that way again as it's too stressful.

Maybe I just wanted some reassurance about the incident but there we go eh.
I think you have nothin to worry about either way, if there gonna go to the trouble of investigatin the car b4 stealin u wont be around wen it happens so no danger for you. Wen ownin anything of value you have got to be prepared to lose it aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I would concur with the lads and suggest that your car is not that common and it would not surprise me if an enthusiast took a photo. Your wheels aren't standard, perhaps he snapped your car for future reference?

Moving to the slightly paranoid side, because your car is in the upper levels of the Porsche range perhaps they were documenting your car to facilitate ringing a similar car in the future - i.e. not necessarily your personal chariot.

Or they were sussing out your car. After all, Hull is convenient for escaping to the Continent. Now I would discount that one because they couldn't do it in an ad hoc way and the alternative is that they are keeping an eye out for specific cars to learn the pattern - and yours is one of them.... creepy AND paranoid!

I prefer my first paragraph.
Good start harsh ending..... love it....
      06-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Clarity: They walked upto my car, walked around it several times, peered in through the window, stepped back, looked at different angles before taking a couple of pics.

Was at the same place earlier and this time was approached by a local bloke who works at the Shell garage nearby. He commented that he remembered seeing me the other day and also saw the two DUTCHMEN (they were in a car with Dutch plates and had been into the Shell garage), and for those who are geographically challenged, Hull to Rotterdam is a ferry route. We can recognise english spoken with a Dutch accent, as did the bloke in the Shell garage - so common place it is to see them.............not a problem. Local bloke told me he was watching them and agreed all was ok but he'd kept 'an eye out'. I thanked him and we chatted for a while. I've been happily reminded that I still live in a community environment.

My car is one of four 997 Turbos that I know of in my immediate local area ie. a 10 mile radius - not that rare as I said!

For those that believe I now look down on them.............wtf...........no different to before : Numptys

I'm now chilled so ta for the reassurance guys you know who you are. For those that 'tried to take the piss' Race boys?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #36
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Clarity: They walked upto my car, walked around it several times, peered in through the window, stepped back, looked at different angles before taking a couple of pics.

Was at the same place earlier and this time was approached by a local bloke who works at the Shell garage nearby. He commented that he remembered seeing me the other day and also saw the two DUTCHMEN (they were in a car with Dutch plates and had been into the Shell garage), and for those who are geographically challenged, Hull to Rotterdam is a ferry route. We can recognise english spoken with a Dutch accent, as did the bloke in the Shell garage - so common place it is to see them.............not a problem. Local bloke told me he was watching them and agreed all was ok but he'd kept 'an eye out'. I thanked him and we chatted for a while. I've been happily reminded that I still live in a community environment.

My car is one of four 997 Turbos that I know of in my immediate local area ie. a 10 mile radius - not that rare as I said!

For those that believe I now look down on them.............wtf...........no different to before : Numptys

I'm now chilled so ta for the reassurance guys you know who you are. For those that 'tried to take the piss' Race boys?
Did I hear race? Whitby run again Helen?! Just give me a head start this time! XX

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #37
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
always good to be cautious! ....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #38
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'll race you...Go Karting??

Last edited by SiKkBaSs; 06-23-2009 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0