E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2013 335i reliability?

02-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

2013 335i reliability?

I know there are tons of reliability questions floating around here but these mostly concern older, used cars. I have two choices sitting in front of me: a 2013 328i coupe that I've configured and ordered, and a 2013 335i coupe that's already sitting on the lot. The 335i is more lightly equipped than my configuration, as it's missing premium package but has M sport. It's silver with black leatherette. The car I ordered is white with saddle brown and has premium and M sport. I'm planning to keep the car 5-7 years, so past the warranty period, but I'll have it in my care the entire time.

I'm just wondering if, by this last model year of the E92, has BMW worked out most or all the kinks on the 335i?

I look forward to your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Matts435coupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Coupe Msport 6MT

Go for the 335 over the 328. If you decide to go for the 328, do not drive the 335. You will be sorry, two different cars. As far as I know, since they switched from the N54 motor to the n55 motor which is in the current 335i coupe, the reliability has been much better. I would prefer the motor in the 335 alone compared to the 328, even with less stuff and Msport is a must!
2010 BMW 335i coupe( Sold)
2009 BMW 335i coupe ( Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I took the same risk recently hoping most of the kinks have been worked out. So far I have 3000 miles and no problems yet, time will tell I guess. It seems the F30 is having its share of new model problems.. I feel good in my decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
ddeliber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Just out of curiosity what is the difference in price? I'll bet that the 335 will be discounted a bit more being that it is the last of the E92s vs an F, and that would make your decision a bit easier. I also heard that the N55 is a significant improvement from the N54 in terms of reliability.

I agree with Matt, the 335 is a totally different driving experience. The Fs are a bit smoother/softer and the electric steering is totally different. No way to tell unless you drive em, but I'll bet once you get in the 335 you will want it. Leather is nice but to be honest Premium is not a must have for me, the leatherette is really not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

I own a 2011 335i sedan and my wife has a f30 328i sedan. The engine makes the a big difference....plus the new electric sterering drives me crazy...no feel...but my wife gets in my car and complains I have no power steering...go figure......she loves the fact it will get 34-38mpg on the highway in eco mode.....

If you love performance......335...
If you want economy and less upkeep costs after the warranty goes up...328.
Do not let your wife decide if you are married...she will opt for the softer 328!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

I think it really depends how long you keep your cars.. If you are one of those bmw people who drives them 50k or extend the warranty to 100k then go for the 335i. You wont have to worry about any problems. It is also to early to see what type of problems the 335i may or may not have.

But if you are like me and keep a car for 7 years 200k+ miles go for the 328i.. but then again I don't really know anything about the new F series
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

335 all day long no comparison plus the HPFP's are covered for what 100k?? But if you prefer to drive in the right lane and have awesome handling maybe a 328 is right for you.Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Test drive both. 'Cause you might have regrets if you buy a 328 and then get to drive a 335i at a later point.
      02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
335 all day long no comparison plus the HPFP's are covered for what 100k?? But if you prefer to drive in the right lane and have awesome handling maybe a 328 is right for you.Good luck
I could be wrong but I don't think any N55 engines are having HPFP issues.

I've got about 25,000 on mine and it still runs like the day I picked it up.

If you're thinking long term get everything you want so you have no regrets. I got a barebones M-Sport and I regret not getting convenience and premium packs, plus Sirius and BMW Apps.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldsy View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think any N55 engines are having HPFP issues.

I've got about 25,000 on mine and it still runs like the day I picked it up.

If you're thinking long term get everything you want so you have no regrets. I got a barebones M-Sport and I regret not getting convenience and premium packs, plus Sirius and BMW Apps.
Not so sure about those N55's being out of the woods..Premium Package over rated I got the leather as I always do on a stand alone option in the E46 days don't forget with no premium no moon roof but now it's standard as for the comfort access I'll pass at least with my key in the ignition I know where it is!Oh forgot no lumbar without PP but my back is fine.Glad to hear no probs with the auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Is this thread real??
I'd go for the 335 all day long.
You at least know the 335 engine.
The 328i is an unknown at this point.
You will have the same issues with walnut blasting, possible turbo failure, etc..
Get the extended warranty and the 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Not so sure about those N55's being out of the woods..Premium Package over rated I got the leather as I always do on a stand alone option in the E46 days don't forget with no premium no moon roof but now it's standard as for the comfort access I'll pass at least with my key in the ignition I know where it is!Oh forgot no lumbar without PP but my back is fine.Glad to hear no probs with the auto.
Yeah man I thought Premium seats were smoke and mirrors until I got a 328i as a loner (PPK installation) that had the premium package.

I just think a $50k car should have some standard features besides seatbelts and cupholders. I feel like my car is all sizzle and no steak; looks good, but not super-fast and pretty spartan on the inside.

Seems my buddy's S4 came LOADED and his sticker was only $500 more than mine. Let's not talk about the fact that his car is faster... I digress.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Is this thread real??
I'd go for the 335 all day long.
You at least know the 335 engine.
The 328i is an unknown at this point.
You will have the same issues with walnut blasting, possible turbo failure, etc..
Get the extended warranty and the 335.
OP is considering a 2013 328i/335i coupe, so it will have the old 3.0 inline 6 that is basically bulletproof. I like both cars, but I think I'd take my chances on the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Musabi
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i - Totaled =(

Quote:
Yeah man I thought Premium seats were smoke and mirrors until I got a 328i as a loner (PPK installation) that had the premium package.

I just think a $50k car should have some standard features besides seatbelts and cupholders. I feel like my car is all sizzle and no steak; looks good, but not super-fast and pretty spartan on the inside.

Seems my buddy's S4 came LOADED and his sticker was only $500 more than mine. Let's not talk about the fact that his car is faster... I digress.
Not that I disagree with you but his S4 is a sedan =\ In my eyes it's not comparable to a 335i coupe!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musabi View Post
Not that I disagree with you but his S4 is a sedan =\ In my eyes it's not comparable to a 335i coupe!
Yeah his car looks like a Volkswagen haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Musabi
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i - Totaled =(

Quote:
Yeah his car looks like a Volkswagen haha
Which is one of the reasons I would only buy a S5, but 335i's are a much better drive in my personal opinion (I've driven both).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Oops, guess my settings are wrong because I didn't get any notices that I got a reply. Yeah to clarify, I'm only considering the E92 coupe, so no F30 issues to think about. I did today and took the 335i out for a drive. I was able to keep it for a couple of hours and took it on some nice country roads as well as the freeway. The power was....well, I suppose I don't have to elaborate. I can honestly say, if I hadn't already configured a car to my exact specifications, I would have driven home in that car without a second thought. As it was, missing the premium package so no leather etc., and the few other things it was missing, I decided to go ahead and wait and get the 328i I built. If finances weren't a consideration, I'd probably get a 335i equipped the same way as my configured 328i. Alas, the price difference was too much.

With these two cars, the lease payments aren't really that far apart: about $450 for the 328i and $500 for the 335i. Chalk it up to my good history with the dealer and these awesome end of model incentives. Those prices are for 10k per year on an MSRP of $46,900 (328i) and $49,700 (335i). If you're in the market, the time is definitely now to lease an E92!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #18
bluewind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics
Oops, guess my settings are wrong because I didn't get any notices that I got a reply. Yeah to clarify, I'm only considering the E92 coupe, so no F30 issues to think about. I did today and took the 335i out for a drive. I was able to keep it for a couple of hours and took it on some nice country roads as well as the freeway. The power was....well, I suppose I don't have to elaborate. I can honestly say, if I hadn't already configured a car to my exact specifications, I would have driven home in that car without a second thought. As it was, missing the premium package so no leather etc., and the few other things it was missing, I decided to go ahead and wait and get the 328i I built. If finances weren't a consideration, I'd probably get a 335i equipped the same way as my configured 328i. Alas, the price difference was too much.

With these two cars, the lease payments aren't really that far apart: about $450 for the 328i and $500 for the 335i. Chalk it up to my good history with the dealer and these awesome end of model incentives. Those prices are for 10k per year on an MSRP of $46,900 (328i) and $49,700 (335i). If you're in the market, the time is definitely now to lease an E92!
My 335is doesn't have premium package but there is nothing I miss. I was also debating between one with premium and one without it but with better color combo, and I am so glad I picked the car with the color I love.

All of my previous bimmers had prem pack and my wife's F10 is also fully loaded... So I know what I am missing but I don't miss it at all :-) And seriously I cannot tell any difference between leather vs. leatherette. None of people who rode my car noticed that they were sitting on vinyl not leather before I told them.

Get 335i. Just do it - if you love yourself ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewind View Post
My 335is doesn't have premium package but there is nothing I miss. I was also debating between one with premium and one without it but with better color combo, and I am so glad I picked the car with the color I love.

All of my previous bimmers had prem pack and my wife's F10 is also fully loaded... So I know what I am missing but I don't miss it at all :-) And seriously I cannot tell any difference between leather vs. leatherette. None of people who rode my car noticed that they were sitting on vinyl not leather before I told them.

Get 335i. Just do it - if you love yourself ;-)
Hah, thanks for the reply and the advice. Did you notice a marked difference in the smell of the car's interior? If I paid attention to it, the leatherette seemed to almost smell more like a petroleum product, which makes sense because in a way I suppose it is. I wasn't sticking my nose right to the seat surface or anything, just the general smell inside the car. I dunno, call me weird but that's something I would miss without premium.

I won't say it wasn't very tempting to get that car because it was. It really, really was! If it had the same features as the car I ordered and was still only $50/mo difference I would have gotten it. Easy decision. What I couldn't justify to myself was paying more for a car that has less, simply for the increase in hp/tq. Not that the increase isn't a big deal!

The other issue weighing on my decision was longevity. BMW hasn't exactly shown that they can turbo a car in a very reliable way yet. If I truly have the intention of keeping whatever car I get for 5-7 years, then I think it might be safer to go with the NA I6 versus the turbo'd I6.

Man I hope I'm not coming across like it was a simple decision. It was not, at all. That car was a beast in the curves and could have easily gotten me into trouble on the freeway. The thing is, the 328 won't be any different in the curves so I'd only really be losing straight line grunt and maybe, just maybe, even saving myself headaches down the line. Still, it was tough to hand them back the key and say "see you in a few weeks."
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

I have both an e92 328i and a f30 335i. Honesty, I prefer the driving experience better in the 328i. Both cars are a manual. The only time the 335 is better is under full throttle and it has a little smoother manual shifter. Dont get me wrong, the 335i is a great car but the throttle response and slight turbo lag frustrates me. The n52 engine with a manual transmission is more enjoyable to me around the twisties due primarily to its crisp and immediate throttle response whereas the response on the 335i seems somewhat distant and lacks precision. I guess it is just inherent in turbo engines. I know people here are going to argue and call me crazy but it is just my preference. I think a 328i with m sport and manual transmission is a great automobile. It drives like it has more horsepower and torque than its numbers indicate. I cant vouche for one with an automatic as I have never driven one. That n52 is built for a manual transmission and it is criminal to pair it with and automatic.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musabi View Post
Which is one of the reasons I would only buy a S5, but 335i's are a much better drive in my personal opinion (I've driven both).
I'd agree with you regarding handling/steering and road feel; but his car can whip my head back when he gets on the throttle. I'm coming from a STI and that car felt significantly faster, even after I had the PPK installed. I'm gonna attribute the lagging throttle to this ghetto Automatic transmission - shifts about as fast as the Nissan Altima 2.5s I get when I travel (Nissans are great cars, they just cost 1/3 the price of my bimmer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewind View Post
And seriously I cannot tell any difference between leather vs. leatherette. None of people who rode my car noticed that they were sitting on vinyl not leather before I told them.
I agree! Nobody can tell the difference - it is an awesome knock-off leather. It's not too far off from the Dakota leather. The Nappa and Merino leathers available in the 5 series are a different story though But seriously, anyone reading this considering saving money and getting Leatherette, it's not bad. It's super easy to clean with some Vinylex wipes. I imagine it's durable too, for those of you like the OP planning on keeping your car for 5+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
I have both an e92 328i and a f30 335i. Honesty, I prefer the driving experience better in the 328i. Both cars are a manual. The only time the 335 is better is under full throttle and it has a little smoother manual shifter. Dont get me wrong, the 335i is a great car but the throttle response and slight turbo lag frustrates me. The n52 engine with a manual transmission is more enjoyable to me around the twisties due primarily to its crisp and immediate throttle response whereas the response on the 335i seems somewhat distant and lacks precision.
I drove an Automatic E90 328i as a loaner and was very impressed by how fun it was to drive. The only times I really notice the difference are at WOT, where the 335i can get to 110mph almost effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

there's a good chance you'll regret not getting the 335 if you go with the 328

i would always just want to be faster