E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Third Party Warranty Turbo replacement

08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 bmw 335i

Third Party Warranty Turbo replacement

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with getting their turbos replaced with a third party warranty they have bought at a bmw dealer. I talked to a buddy that works at a bmw dealer and he said my warranty def. will cover it but since I have mods I will want to get them taken off before bringing the car in because they might send out an inspector because its so expensive. Please let me know if you know anyone at a dealership that knows how to avoid having to remove all of my mods.

thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
highly recommend doing so, the 3rd party will say that the mod that they do not cover caused the turbos to go. You can also go to a independent shop to get the work done as well, I recall VS Motorsports did that a few years back, guy blew up his motor, got it cover and VS did all the work
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
highly recommend doing so, the 3rd party will say that the mod that they do not cover caused the turbos to go. You can also go to a independent shop to get the work done as well, I recall VS Motorsports did that a few years back, guy blew up his motor, got it cover and VS did all the work
ya i mean its just going to cost a ton to take out the jb4, intake, dps, fmic and then to put it back on. I know its cheaper then replacing the turbos but it stings just a little extra because i just paid a-spec to put all of that on. I am also just wondering if someone knew someone at patrick bmw or something that could help find a way from completely "unmodding"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlombar5 View Post
ya i mean its just going to cost a ton to take out the jb4, intake, dps, fmic and then to put it back on. I know its cheaper then replacing the turbos but it stings just a little extra because i just paid a-spec to put all of that on. I am also just wondering if someone knew someone at patrick bmw or something that could help find a way from completely "unmodding"
might want to contact the warranty and ask them about having it done at a independent shop, seeing it will be much cheaper than goign to the dealership...

110 per hour or 80 per hour..

worth a shot
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
might want to contact the warranty and ask them about having it done at a independent shop, seeing it will be much cheaper than goign to the dealership...

110 per hour or 80 per hour..

worth a shot
ya i mean i would def. like to give the business to a-spec instead of a big BMW dealer but my issue is as of now is avoiding having to remove the parts and then figuring out where or with who I can/should do it with.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ya i mean i would def. like to give the business to a-spec instead of a big BMW dealer but my issue is as of now is avoiding having to remove the parts and then figuring out where or with who I can/should do it with.
The insurance company won't really know about the mods until they ask about it. They honestly won't know about the mods until someone says something.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The insurance company won't really know about the mods until they ask about it. They honestly won't know about the mods until someone says something.
ya I know a cool tech in the Bill Jacobs BMW dealer that said he wouldnt say anything but he thinks that since it will be expensive they might send out an adjuster to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ya I know a cool tech in the Bill Jacobs BMW dealer that said he wouldnt say anything but he thinks that since it will be expensive they might send out an adjuster to check it out.
yeah, i would just take it off and just bite the bullet, maybe see if your buddy can install it while he puts it back together
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i would just take it off and just bite the bullet, maybe see if your buddy can install it while he puts it back together
ya thats kind of the way its looking damn.......
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
better than paying for it, I know when I was at VS, it cost a guy 6k to replace his turbos with all labor. I think biting the bullet for a few hundred dollars is better than nothing
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
better than paying for it, I know when I was at VS, it cost a guy 6k to replace his turbos with all labor. I think biting the bullet for a few hundred dollars is better than nothing
ya most def. you think ill need to remove the jb4 as well or just the dp, fmic, and air intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
My third party warranty sends out a tech to verify that the parts need to be replaced. I believe they send the tech out if the total will be over $1000; which is almost every time its in the shop. I've sucked over $10000 out of them so far with absolutely no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic View Post
My third party warranty sends out a tech to verify that the parts need to be replaced. I believe they send the tech out if the total will be over $1000; which is almost every time its in the shop. I've sucked over $10000 out of them so far with absolutely no problem.
oh man so its sounding like the mods will need to come off in your opinion then? also do you mind me asking which company it is?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
oh man so its sounding like the mods will need to come off in your opinion then? also do you mind me asking which company it is?
I havent taken any of mine off and I have FMIC, DCI, and AR catless downpipes. Although I do always unmarry my Cobb AP but mostly because theres a possibilty that they will flash the vehicle to fix a problem or install new software.

The company name is Continuous Customer Care but I also was told the name is Toyota Extra Care. I purchased my 335i from a Lexus dealership
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic View Post
I havent taken any of mine off and I have FMIC, DCI, and AR catless downpipes. Although I do always unmarry my Cobb AP but mostly because theres a possibilty that they will flash the vehicle to fix a problem or install new software.

The company name is Continuous Customer Care but I also was told the name is Toyota Extra Care. I purchased my 335i from a Lexus dealership
oh ok i appreciate your help man i will have to see what happens
Appreciate 0