E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Water shorting wires around gas pedal

03-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Aliself
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

Water shorting wires around gas pedal

Hi guys:

Is it possible that a car detailing would damage/short the wires under the carpet around the gas pedal?

My car was fine when I took it in but after the detailing the engine light was on and the car had a very difficult time in accelerating /especially from a stopped point).

I spoke to the bmw advisor and he immediately said it could be a short in the wires under the carpet due to too much water.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated? Will it fix itself once it's dried if it's really the problem?

Ali
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliself View Post
Hi guys:

Is it possible that a car detailing would damage/short the wires under the carpet around the gas pedal?

My car was fine when I took it in but after the detailing the engine light was on and the car had a very difficult time in accelerating /especially from a stopped point).

I spoke to the bmw advisor and he immediately said it could be a short in the wires under the carpet due to too much water.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated? Will it fix itself once it's dried if it's really the problem?

Ali
What kind of detailing was done? Interior detailing could have hit a wire or disconnected something. If the exterior was the only part detailed then it could be a leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Aliself
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

It was an interior car detail. Had to replace the gas pedal as there are wires around the gas pedal that were affected/shorted, perhaps due to excess water.

The dealer can't say for sure what caused the problem but to me the obvious problem was too much water/shampoo around the gas pedal.

Not impressed with the car detail shop - got my money back but had to spend money in replacing the pedal.
Appreciate 0