E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter storm!!

12-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

driving was terrible. uphills were a problem. Got stuck in the middle of an intersection uphill. and sliding everywhere. although I gotta say a lot of fun. put on winter tires this afternoon..made a lot of difference...then hit the slopes up north skiing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Funny watching CBC a lot of idiots are just starting to buy winter tires
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
you've been driving the month of December with summer performance tires?
admittedly not the smartest thing, but the weather has been on my side until now.
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I was going to tempt faith, but i didn't leave early enough before a large accumulation of snow. By time i was outside, snow was at the bumper, and the plows had their first run at it piling snow up against the sidewalk, plus my unreliable snow removal contractor didn't show up yet. So I took my 4Runner. I backed out of the car shelter, parked on the snow to close up the shelter door, then I needed all of 4low, and locked diff to get off that snow, and up my street which is a steep incline because of course some guy in some chevy something in the opposite direction pulls infront of me and stops! So he's not moving, i stop and lose momentum and had to plow on up the street "parking lane" because he wasn't going up of down, and i didn't want to play that game. No way, no chance, no hope, nothing, would ever have made my rwd tackle the roads i took this morning.

I carry a tow rope in the truck. I stopped and towed one car stuck on the sidewalk to get into a gas station. Cops were there pushing which i found odd... I said i could tow them in, they put on the flashers and let me hook up the recovery strap.

Then I found an old man who high centered his mini van going into a parking lot. A couple of us stopped and tried to help, but his car had no tow hooks. Plus his wheels werent spinning at all. He had either blew a tranny, a diff, and axle, something, no wheel spin at all, and horible grinding, needed tow truck. He really skinny peddled and bashed that van into that snow mound. He said it looked like it was soft snow.....

Towed a low clearance jetta, who just was plowing and not getting traction on the ice. When i saw him, he was over heating from trying so hard for 30mins, his car was smoking.

Saw an 18 wheeler remove his trailer on the street because he couldn't get traction, not sure what happened after. A bunch of these guys were stopped trying to figure it out. Another one further up had taken a bad turn and ended up stuck between the median and the sidewalk slanted since it was hard to tell what was street, sidewalk, median. Lots of little trucks with flashing yellow lights around that guy.

Saw an abandoned car in the snow. No one in it. Not sure why it wasn't towed away, it was almost blocking an entrance to hwy 25. And the snow plows had plowed around it....weird...

Glad I had my 4runner. Maybe an xi or X3 for me next time. But then again I won't want to bash a nice BMW through snow mounds, xi or otherwise anyway.

So Montreal's winter 2012/2013 initiation is done. Now maybe people will remember all about how nasty it can be to drive in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #27
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunner View Post
I was going to tempt faith, but i didn't leave early enough before a large accumulation of snow. By time i was outside, snow was at the bumper, and the plows had their first run at it piling snow up against the sidewalk, plus my unreliable snow removal contractor didn't show up yet. So I took my 4Runner. I backed out of the car shelter, parked on the snow to close up the shelter door, then I needed all of 4low, and locked diff to get off that snow, and up my street which is a steep incline because of course some guy in some chevy something in the opposite direction pulls infront of me and stops! So he's not moving, i stop and lose momentum and had to plow on up the street "parking lane" because he wasn't going up of down, and i didn't want to play that game. No way, no chance, no hope, nothing, would ever have made my rwd tackle the roads i took this morning.

I carry a tow rope in the truck. I stopped and towed one car stuck on the sidewalk to get into a gas station. Cops were there pushing which i found odd... I said i could tow them in, they put on the flashers and let me hook up the recovery strap.

Then I found an old man who high centered his mini van going into a parking lot. A couple of us stopped and tried to help, but his car had no tow hooks. Plus his wheels werent spinning at all. He had either blew a tranny, a diff, and axle, something, no wheel spin at all, and horible grinding, needed tow truck. He really skinny peddled and bashed that van into that snow mound. He said it looked like it was soft snow.....

Towed a low clearance jetta, who just was plowing and not getting traction on the ice. When i saw him, he was over heating from trying so hard for 30mins, his car was smoking.

Saw an 18 wheeler remove his trailer on the street because he couldn't get traction, not sure what happened after. A bunch of these guys were stopped trying to figure it out. Another one further up had taken a bad turn and ended up stuck between the median and the sidewalk slanted since it was hard to tell what was street, sidewalk, median. Lots of little trucks with flashing yellow lights around that guy.

Saw an abandoned car in the snow. No one in it. Not sure why it wasn't towed away, it was almost blocking an entrance to hwy 25. And the snow plows had plowed around it....weird...

Glad I had my 4runner. Maybe an xi or X3 for me next time. But then again I won't want to bash a nice BMW through snow mounds, xi or otherwise anyway.

So Montreal's winter 2012/2013 initiation is done. Now maybe people will remember all about how nasty it can be to drive in it.
now that's the type of montreal and GTA snowstorm's I remember
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #28
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Not sure why everyone is having so many problems with first real snow fall driving lol....I always loved it. (Plus, they're pathetic snow falls At best)

Last year I threw on Nordfrost 5's and just drove cautiously, but never got stuck. MT FTW!

This year I haven't driven in the snow and my performance wheels still on ....cry*sniffle*cry
-haven't been able to enjoy it lol cuz she's for sale

On a side note - those winters are for sale if anyone needs a winter set!

I've gotten through this winter with my new 2013 Ford Escape 4WD!

And Farb, you just started this thread to gloat about your LSD lmao
- just saying
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #29
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulexis View Post
Does LSD Make much of a difference in snow?

For me with Dunlop winter sport 3D the dsc light comes often
From what I experience without the LSD, the DSC would kick in and that is suppose to help you get traction when the wheel is slipping, but I find it gets in the way, but with the LSD it helps with getting traction and the DSC doesn't inter-fear, I find you have more control over the car, LSDs are not only for tracking the car as some may think. I think LSDs should be an option we should get on performance BMWs.

And having a 6MT helps a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12beat View Post
Made it to the bottom of my driveway, turned around and took the Jag to work. Although I have LSD I was afraid of getting stuck in the deep snow. Tripping the light like a xmas tree!
Use the LSD 12beat, use the LSD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Not sure why everyone is having so many problems with first real snow fall driving lol....I always loved it. (Plus, they're pathetic snow falls At best)

Last year I threw on Nordfrost 5's and just drove cautiously, but never got stuck. MT FTW!

This year I haven't driven in the snow and my performance wheels still on ....cry*sniffle*cry
-haven't been able to enjoy it lol cuz she's for sale

On a side note - those winters are for sale if anyone needs a winter set!

I've gotten through this winter with my new 2013 Ford Escape 4WD!

And Farb, you just started this thread to gloat about your LSD lmao
- just saying
OK that maybe part of it, BUT you got to admit that this tread turned out really good with some good winter story's that we had not have in a very long time.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335alive View Post
admittedly not the smartest thing, but the weather has been on my side until now.
Just because there is no snow on the ground, it doesn't mean your summers are good. You do know the summer tires degrades in performance at below 7 degrees right?

Anyways too bad it wasn't much of a snow storm in GTA, I wish we have 45cm of snow like in Montreal
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #31
Kbimmer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunner View Post

I was waiting for some people from quebec to dime in, things seems to be pretty hairy up there... I'm going to mtl for the new years, but I decided to take the train instead, dont want risk my car.
'97 328i Black on Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Funny watching CBC a lot of idiots are just starting to buy winter tires
the general person is a moron so Im not surprised they left it until the last minute
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
the general person is a moron so Im not surprised they left it until the last minute
+1,

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #34
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbimmer View Post
I was waiting for some people from quebec to dime in, things seems to be pretty hairy up there... I'm going to mtl for the new years, but I decided to take the train instead, dont want risk my car.
The snow plows have been great clearing the roads. Now they need to haul it away. So this means, i would be comfortable taking the rwd almost anywhere. The problem is smaller residential streets. They are plowed, but snow basically pushed to the side. Just enough for one car. So if you meet head to head with another, and you need to pull into a snow bank, then you run the risk of getting stuck because of ground clearance. That's my issue, clearance. Plus parking if you need to park on the street will be hard. I don't want to say rwd sucks. Rwd BMW on winters, with stability control is safe. But without ground clearance its not going anywhere. But that can be said for all cars, just lower sporty cars meet that clearance barrier sooner. Awd might atleast give you push and pull, and hopefully xdrive can transfer enough power around to get traction.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #35
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Just because there is no snow on the ground, it doesn't mean your summers are good. You do know the summer tires degrades in performance at below 7 degrees right?
well aware of this.

i shall give myself 40 lashings as punishment for being so foolish...

'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current

Last edited by 335alive; 12-29-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #36
youyou1979
Rep
Drives: 911 4S

One of the craziest storms i've seen in years...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
snow tires + x-drive= no problem!!!
+1

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0