E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Things to do in Denver and Vail

08-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Things to do in Denver and Vail

I'm going to be in Denver this Thursday and Friday (get in tonight) and was curious as to what is good to do in Denver. Interested in anything from good restaurants (breakfast, lunch and dinner) to places to go grab some drinks.

Also, I'll be in Vail from Saturday through Monday. What's fun there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

I'm not from Denver or Vail (live in Colorado Springs), but here are two things I'd recommend:

1. If you like Mexican food, I personally really like Blue Bonnet. Whenever I'm in Denver, we eat there.
2. If you are willing to travel another hour west of Vail to Glenwood Springs, one of my favorite hikes is there - it is called Hanging Lake. It is short hike (a little over a mile) and steep (you probably gain about 2,500 vertical ft in that mile), but at the top is a lake that is basically hanging on the side of the mountain. Absolutely beautiful and a great Colorado experience IMHO. Plus the drive is awesome (Glenwood Canyon is beautiful).

Enjoy your time here!

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
kevino002
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi sedan

What type of things do you like to do?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips, Rich.

Kevin,

I like everything, but I doubt I'll be able to get the girlfriend to agree to a hike after the one I put her through at the Grand Canyon (Bright Angel trail to the plateau point). Other than that, up for whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Thumbs up to Blue Bonnet and Hanging Lake. The hike is steep but should only take within 30 minutes - you will see folks of all ages. Denver and Vail both have tons of good restaurants and night clubs so you won't have a tough time finding something. The downtown mall and parks are good too - beer is allowed at least in Washington park (if not all of them) so it's one big party on the weekend.
We also have Elitch Gardens and Lakeside amusement parks, and Waterworld waterpark.
Also obviously some great mountain roads. The drive up to vail from Denver is pretty straightforward, but the peak to peak highway above Boulder/Nederland is pretty amusing. Have fun, Pete
BMW Perf Suspension, Lowering Perches, Cobb AP Stg 2+, cp-e DPs, ER Performance IC, Forge DVs, Stett CP, AR Oil Cooler, Beyern Mesh 18" 275/235, Golf Tee, Tint 20%, Vinyl Wrap Int Trim, MTEC V3 AEs, BMS DCI and DP Fix, M-Tech Front/Rear [B][I]
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

PS Vail is known best as a ski town but people mountain bike on and around the mountain in the summer. Otherwise options are guided tours, ATV rentals, rafting or hiking. I would just explore local small towns and breweries - look up the local spots and go wherever sounds best. It's more of a tranquil getaway, some people fish but I just lay by the pool since it should be sunny but not too hot. PB
BMW Perf Suspension, Lowering Perches, Cobb AP Stg 2+, cp-e DPs, ER Performance IC, Forge DVs, Stett CP, AR Oil Cooler, Beyern Mesh 18" 275/235, Golf Tee, Tint 20%, Vinyl Wrap Int Trim, MTEC V3 AEs, BMS DCI and DP Fix, M-Tech Front/Rear [B][I]
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome. Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0