E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > do u really need navigation?

03-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #45
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My opinion is that you should get the Nav, not only for the navigation but all the other features you can use in the idrive.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #46
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I find this advice very hard to take, specially coming from a guy that can't type out "because" or "know" or even just a simple "you".
Another 18 year old probably.
      03-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #47
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

I have nav and really love it....even if you dont use the nav, I-drive alone is worth getting it... i feel completely lost (with all the settings) whenever i sit in a loaner car without idrive..
      03-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #48
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Do I need Nav? Maybe once a month.

But do I need iDrive? Yes, because I use my phone and iPod just about every day, love having a good trip computer, know it can't get stolen, love tinkering with settings, and I like the way the radio is integrated into the screen instead of a standard headunit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #49
attorneyscott
Smokin' a Siglo VI...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i, Dinan Stage 3

Going against the grain here

Apparently a lot of fans of I-Drive on this thread...

Personally, I didn't get nav for the simple reason that in order to have it, I had to get I-Drive. Having come out of a 545i with I-Drive, which I didn't have much difficulty figuring out by the way (easier to use than Benz E-class COMAND), I decided to go with a system that doesn't require going through a series of menus (while driving) to make basic adjustments to the radio and climate control systems (on my 545 simple climate control adjustments necessitated a multi-step I-Drive maneuver). Also I think the car's interior looks much cleaner and more integrated without the screen and the ensuing "wart" atop the dash.

Although I agree that BMW navigation worked great, I almost never had to use it.
'08 E92 335i black sapphire/saddle, 6MT, sport/prem., CA, PDC, Sirius, Ipod/usb, HDR, Htd. Sts., Dinan Stage 3 flash/oil cooler/intercooler/exhaust/Stage 3 susp., MORR VS7's, Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s, BMW Perf. Parts STSK, Dinan/Quaife 3.08 LSD!!
'06 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged; Zambezi Silver/Ivory/Piano Black Wood, SICK NASTY In Car Entertainment - seriously, will make your brain bleed
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #50
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by attorneyscott View Post
Apparently a lot of fans of I-Drive on this thread...

Personally, I didn't get nav for the simple reason that in order to have it, I had to get I-Drive. Having come out of a 545i with I-Drive, which I didn't have much difficulty figuring out by the way (easier to use than Benz E-class COMAND), I decided to go with a system that doesn't require going through a series of menus (while driving) to make basic adjustments to the radio and climate control systems (on my 545 simple climate control adjustments necessitated a multi-step I-Drive maneuver). Also I think the car's interior looks much cleaner and more integrated without the screen and the ensuing "wart" atop the dash.

Although I agree that BMW navigation worked great, I almost never had to use it.

So true. I had a non-nav I-drive 2008 528ix for one month and the basic adjustments to climate and radio was so annoying.
      03-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #51
krnshinsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

i have a garmin navi and I only pull it out when i need it. Its portable so thats a plus. I mostly use it Going are Ucla/Usc LA area.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #52
BMW///Motorsport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
for me, the navigation offered by BMW is a complete waste..2k for navigation?no thanks..I could get better one for $500+it's PORTABLE..
Yeah and it looks really sexy having a Nav unit on your dash in your $45k+ car right? You arent paying $2k for just a nav, its the integration of iDrive and the functionality, not to mention the asthetic appeal of iDrive versus say a Garmin... LOL
      03-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #53
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by attorneyscott View Post
I decided to go with a system that doesn't require going through a series of menus (while driving) to make basic adjustments to the radio and climate control systems (on my 545 simple climate control adjustments necessitated a multi-step I-Drive maneuver).
I always find this to be a perplexing point. It's one of the most logical arguments against iDrive, but it's the one that seems to affect me least. I agree that it is theoretically annoying to have to go through so many menus to make minor adjustments to various settings, but I virtually never change those settings anyway. I've realized that basically all I need is a volume control of some sort, a temperature dial, a couple of radio presets, and a seek/scan button. I used iDrive to configure things like clocks, audio settings, fan settings, lights, etc, when I first picked it up, but the only things I really use iDrive for on a daily basis are nav and occasionally the phone. Even then, the voice commands are so convenient, I usually just use them.
      03-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #54
yellowg555
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I don't get why people complain about iDrive. Once you figure out where things are the first time, it's easy as hell to use. If you really are that lazy, use the voice commands? If you are too lazy to learn those, then I guess it's on you. While the learning curve is slightly steep, it makes no sense to bash iDrive based on the initial impression. I didn't really care for it at first, but now I kind of like it. And as so many people have said before, try getting to options and settings without it...it's a pain in the ass. With iDrive, it's a LOT easier to get to.

As for navi, I love that I have it and don't regret spending the 2k to get it.
      03-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #55
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

iDrive is easy. I didn't even have to read the manual. But it's those that are clueless that will complain the loudest. It's like setting a digital clock... Once you figure it out, it's not difficult to do.

The key is the ((menu)) button. That takes you to the top so if you get lost, hit it. Use the knob to select the section or area of the screen and rotate it to select items in that "area".

First night I was confused (normal since it's new). After that it's simple. I just sat their with the "cause and effect" mentality and started leaning by pressing and pushing those buttons. If you're confused, I'm not sure how it can get any simpler. The basic inputs are: Lt, Rt, Up, Down, Push knob, rotate knob, press menu. If that's too difficult, use the voice commands. I assume that's what they are there for. Another level for those who don't get it... jk
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #56
hudaman
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

I really like having the Idrive screen, mostly for things like bluetooth. If you're looking strictly at the nav feature, don't get it. The nav blows. It can't even read out the street names.

The real-time traffic sucks too. It's not accurate and keeps suggesting multiple useless detours. It is beyond annoying. I still prefer using mapquest and a piece of paper.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #57
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
iDrive is now standard here on the 6 cylinder BMWs, I think that it really adds to the vehicle beyond navigation in that it is integrated with all the other systems in the car. So for that reason, I think it is better than the stand alone navis.
A BMW that does not have 6 cylinders just seems not normal.
      03-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #58
xpillzboyx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i

i honestly got the navi for the looks. makes my car look alot better
|AW E90|Blacklines|Black and White Roundels|LUX 5.0|LED Front Turn Signals|LED Sidemarkers|Silver CF Overlays|Black 328 Emblem|Black Grill|LED Interior|15% Tints|19" Hyper Silver Maya STM's|Black Roof|
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #59
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

i really dont...i know almost everywhere on LI and most parts of queens.

The car wouldnt look complete inside without the hump
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #60
zzinco79
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

It is just a trend. most of the cool cars now having the navigation systems or at least a screen on the dash board to make it look more luxurious. nothing wrong with you don't have one. and like many members says, there are tons of portable navigations on the market for much much cheaper price. It is obviously good to have one if you can afford it, but not necessarily. To be honest with you, it is so cool and I was deadly want one before. But right now, I'm totally happy with what I have and also happy with the portable one that I bought from the best buy for $250. I would take ZSP or ZPP over the navigation system if you have to give up one. I would enjoy cool looking steering wheel, sports suspension, and better leather seats rather than the screen with door knob right next to you. just my thoughts...

2006 BSM 325i / ZPP / ZSP / Adaptive Xenon / BLK leather interior / Steptronic

Eisenmann racing / K&N Ram charger / M5 rep. wheels / D1S 6000k / Brex white ring / OEM style rear trunk spoiler / M steering / OEM strut bar / Blk line tail light

Future Mod

Hamann lip spolier / Mtech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #61
NaTuReB0Y