E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Headlight cover/cap - is this the part I need?

10-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Headlight cover/cap - is this the part I need?

I'm thinking I need part no. 63117182394

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=63&fg=05

However Tischer lists it for 2009 *and up* - my car is early '09 335i coupe ('08 build) and definitely pre-LCI.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

Is that actually correct?

What I need is the cap on top of the headlight assy. that needs to be removed to replace the angel eye bulb or the adaptive inner light bulb. My pass side angel eyes went out while driving back from Culpeper today (and of course threw an error, smart car!) and my FLAPS actually had the bulb, but while changing it in the parking lot of the parts store I noticed one of the latches was previously broken on the cover, and I would prefer to replace it so as not to have condensation problems down the road.

Question: how long do these bulbs typically last? I'm running the angel eyes as DRLs although the previous owner was not as I had to change that setting. It just seems odd that I enabled them and then less than 2 mos. later a bulb goes, or is that just coincidence? If they are short lived under DRL use I might just pop for a LED kit...

Peeve: the parts department at my local dealership (literally 5 min. from the house) didn't seem to want to wait on me. I pushed the button twice, hung out in the "parts boutique" for a good 15 min. or so, nobody ever showed up to see what I wanted. Granted, I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt as I'd been helping a friend split/haul firewood (drove the Bimmer because his dad had borrowed his pickup and we were retrieving it, and his dad lives close to the location where his friend was giving us the wood) but still. I guess my money smells different depending on how I'm dressed.

Peeve2: turning onto a gravel road in a reasonably powerful RWD car and realizing that I actually care about the paintwork on this car That right there is the best argument yet for Plasti-Dipping your car that I've heard yet and you better believe that I'd have been full on Dukes of Hazzard if my car were dipped <G> (yes, it was a private road, before I get any comments...)

Not a peeve at all: "having" to drive out to the country on a day like today. It was 68 degrees and sunny... weather like this is rare around here. I really needed that!
Appreciate 0