E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CCV Backpressure causing oil leak? CPO issues

10-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
AZ E90
Jester of Tortuga
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Exclamation CCV Backpressure causing oil leak? CPO issues

X-posted in general:

I'll try to be brief, looking for opinions and past experiences:

Car is right at the end of CPO, this will be its last dealer service

Several complaints: One was a coolant leak, which was found at the upper expansion hose, and was informed this was NOT covered under CPO. That's fine, relatively easy fix. Second was a blow left front strut (leaking pretty bad). Dealer confirmed that it was leaking, again NOT covered. Understandable as a strut can be considered a "wear item"

The biggest complaint was my excessive oil consumption, which I have complained about since the day I got the car. I've done searches through this forum and I know its a common complaint, however recently the car burned through 2.5 quarts of oil in under 7500 miles which is pretty excessive in my opinion. BMW claims that one quart of oil consumed in 800 miles is still "within spec."

In the past, the dealer has replaced two oil filter housings which were leaking. It looked to be dry this time.

I took the car to an independent shop (BMW specific, former BMW service techs) and had them run through the vehicle. One leak they found was from the bank one turbo near where the exhaust feeds into the turbo and also at the oil drain line. The dealer identified this leak, but again said it was NOT covered because it was "a rubber hose." Am I wrong in assuming any oil feed line to or from a turbo is usually a steel braided hose? I know the labor is intensive to replace this hose, possible the dealer is trying to avoid the work?

Also at the independent shop, they performed a manometer test on the CCV and found less than one inch of water (pressure), whereas the specs for the vehicle is 6.8 inches of water at this point. They reasoned the excessive pressure from lack of venting could be causing the oil leaks to occur. The dealer refuses to perform the same test and will not investigate the CCV issue.

I have to go pick the car up today and I planned on speaking directly with the service manager. Anyone have any past experiences I can try to relate to? Any help would be appreciated...
      10-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
AZ E90
Jester of Tortuga
United_States
Rep

If anyone cares, they are replacing the CCV/valve cover to compensate the pressure issues.

I still don't understand why they will not cover the Oil feed line for the bank one turbo. Any ideas on why?
      10-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ E90 View Post
If anyone cares, they are replacing the CCV/valve cover to compensate the pressure issues.

I still don't understand why they will not cover the Oil feed line for the bank one turbo. Any ideas on why?
Trust me...I have been going thru this to...same thing I bet ya...they said mine was because of a CP yeah sure! I have a oil leaking fron the oil line on the turbo and they still didn't investigate it....I had smoke coming out of my tailpipes when the car sat (oil dripping into housing of turbo)....took the car back but this time I actually set a trap...I but tape inside the hex bolts on the engine cover to see if they where even doing any thing to my car or just guessing. Got the car back and the tape was untouched...by bottom tray was never removed either. They basically saw my car and said this is what it is .......funny I got 3 different diagnosis for the same problem. They then said since I have a CP and no diverted valves it was screwing with crankcase pressure.....I said "funny the diverted valves vent into the the induction of the turbo....not possible". They are idiots in my book.......they dont know shit about these cars honestly....at least not over here lol!! I agree though...it could be your valve cover because they can get clogged...I would go see the PCV thread "rob beck" has and get one of his upgraded valves "AFTER" they install your new one. Keep us updated please, would like to know the outcome of this.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

That is crazy.
I burn about a quart in 12K miles.
I top off at about 6K and 11K into the oil change cycle.
My car has about 65K miles if that matters.
Appreciate 0