E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Shopping List for a Beginner for a BSM BMW

04-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
e93black
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Garage List
E93 BMW 335i  [6.34]
Shopping List for a Beginner for a BSM BMW

here is my list (unconfirmed) ^note: i m a beginner, not expert.

-Porter Cable 7424XP
-Lake Country Customizable 5.5" CCS DA Pad Starter Kit w/Backing Plate
-16” Spoke Wheel Brush (medium-stiff)
-Grit Guard Bucket Insert x2
-Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (128oz)
-Riccardo Clay Original Yellow (8oz)
-6 Pack 16oz Spray Bottles SAVE 15%
-Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
-Meguiar's #105 Ultra-Cut Compound (32oz)
-Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (32oz)
-Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
-The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel V2.0
-The Thief Glass Towel
-Tornado Buffing Towel
-SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect (16.9oz)
-The El Cheapo Microfiber Buffing Towel (Buy One, Ger One FREE!) x3

did i buy anything extra? or missing any must have items?
can you provide me the steps with all these products? which pads to choose? and which product do i use it for?
E93 335i BSM - BMW Performance Exhaust / H&R Sport / 19" OEM 230 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirt / Mtech Rear / Painted Reflector / M3 Spoiler / Lux H8 V3 / 6000K D1S / Rdash LED Licence / Painted Reflectors / L7 / Comfort Access / Navi iDrive / USB iPod / BT / PDC / M-Sport Suspension / CF Wrap Trim / Sport / Premium / Cold / M3 Tri-Stitched Steering w/DCT / Coded
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
kjang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Barrique Red 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Don't forget waffle weave drying towels (maybe 2?), a foam applicator pad or two for the wheel sealant, and some sort of wash media (microfiber mitt, sheepskin, grout sponge [check reviews and see what interests you]). You could also think about some interior cleaning/detailing products. Also, some tape.

I would also suggest a glass cleaner, I personally use Stoner's. For the polisher pads, get an orange to use with 105, white for 205, and a black for the liquid wax.

Also, keep in mind ONR isn't decided for heavy cleaning, more for light-medium. You may want to also get a bottle of car shampoo for those times you need a better cleaning.

For steps, a good detailing guide is at http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/.

But basically it works like this:
Rinse wheels with onr/water. Spray sonax on all 4 wheels, agitate with wheel brush, wait until it turns purple/red, then rinse off. After wheels, go to exhaust, using the wheel brush to scrub a bit, wash with onr. Then proceed to wash the entire car. With onr, it doesn't really matter where you start since you'll be drying immediately after agitating the surface with the wash media.
While washing, after picking up contaminants with the wash media, run the media over the grit guards, first in the rinse bucket, then in the wash bucket. Then continue.
Dry with waffle weave drying towels.
Clay using diluted ONR in a spray bottle.
Wash again if there is any loose contamination still on the car.
Mask off trim with painter's/detailing tape.
With polisher at speed 5-6, polish all paint surfaces with 105, buff off, then 205. Buff off.
Wash/Rinse again if you're OCD about wax bonding to perfectly clean paint. Dry.
Apply wax with polisher at 2-4.
Apply wheel sealant with applicator pad. Buff off.
Spray window cleaner on, wipe off.
Wait for the wax to bond to paint.
Dilute ONR for a quick detailer, spray on paint panels, wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

To save some money you might want to buy a smaller bottles of 105/205 if you are only doing your car or a couple of cars. 32oz will do quite a few and over time polishes/compounds separate. You should only need about 4 oz each per car. Jealous you can get the Riccardo clay.
Appreciate 0