E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Updated iDrive not available on Sept. Production '09 E9x?

08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E90

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Officially Refuted: Updated iDrive not available on Sept. Production '09 E9x?

I stopped by my local BMW center this morning to speak with my CA and make an option change on my order (added ZCW; oh, the siren song of the heated steering wheel). While there, I thought I would try to clear up some of the rumors I've seen here and elsewhere about the initial 3-series production runs not including the updated iDrive navigation/information system. It seems the rumors have merit--my CA reports that the September production 3-series will not have the updated iDrive, and a few calls placed this afternoon to a few other BMW centers in the U.S. seem to bear that out.

I have dispatched a letter to BMWNA seeking confirmation of the updated iDrive availability date in 3-series models. I included inquiries on a possible option code change to indicate the new iDrive as well as any price increase associated with the change. As I have significant interest in receiving the updated system, I have suspended my order pending confirmation that the vehicle I receive will include it.

Those interested in the new iDrive and with early production dates in hand may be advised to confirm availability of this updated option or note that their ordered vehicle may include the older version when it arrives.

--LR

Last edited by LionRampant; 08-23-2008 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Title change
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Spoke to a CA, the 09's should all have updated iDrive
      08-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
I really hate it when there's contradictory information. Lion, please let us know when you hear back from BMWNA. Boss, when did you speak to this CA?
      08-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I really hate it when there's contradictory information. Lion, please let us know when you hear back from BMWNA. Boss, when did you speak to this CA?
Today, right after i read the post
      08-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Today, right after i read the post
Now we have a mystery on our hands... Glad I didn't order mine with Navi.
      08-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I really hate it when there's contradictory information. Lion, please let us know when you hear back from BMWNA.
Will do, certainly. In my digging-around, a few things seem to support the older iDrive in the early-production MY 2009s:

- The current order sheet lists the same option code (609) for the navigation system as was used on the 2008 models. Other individual options which underwent changes (aluminum trim, PDC) were assigned new option codes, presumably to reflect the change.

- There is no mention of a pricing change for the navigation system in the recently-released price list. With the significant changes to the iDrive system (hard drive, music upload, expanded controller, updated menus and software), I expect that the exact same price for the substantially changed system is unlikely.

- The recent announcement included mention of a Smartphone Integration option, which would certainly tie into iDrive. This option is stated as not available until October, which seems to correspond with when some CAs are being told the new iDrive will be available for order.

It seems silly that the production line would support a midstream change as significant as the iDrive update would seem to be. The two new trim styles would have to be made available in both old and new iDrive versions. And of course the production line has been off for a month to retool for '09 models; one would think that the availability of the new options for '09 would have been required for start of production.

I will await word from BMWNA--until there is clear confirmation, it is not worth the risk to me to proceed with an early order. The new iDrive is one of the leading reasons I waited on the 2009 model year, and I consider it important to be sure I will receive it. I give some credit to my CA; as soon as I asked about the new iDrive availability, he advised me to hold off on the early order to be sure I get it.

If you are assured by your local CA that the new iDrive will be included on your September production E9x, it may be a good idea to get that confirmation in writing.

--LR

Last edited by LionRampant; 08-22-2008 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Corrected redundancies and double-negatives.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
WDW1Fanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i; Lexus RX400h

Garage List
There is also a new post on the BMWCCA site from an hour ago by Jonathan Spira, but it only clears up that the Series 5 & 6 won't have the new iDrive in the initial 2009 run... Go here for the post. You'll see I responded trying to gain clarity on the Series 3 as the author implies he knows the real definitive facts based on meetings today.

I'm in the same boat as LionRampant -- no positive confirmation of the new iDrive by early this coming week and I cancel the E93 order I have for production first week of September. The confusion BMW has caused with lack of clarity on what is and isn't on their US models at this point in time is beyond being reasonable for a premium brand, especially after the generic worldwide announcements from a few weeks ago that caused marketing excitement perhaps, but more questions than answers for those of us with real orders in place for the new MY.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Spoke to a CA, the 09's should all have updated iDrive
I hope so
same for m3?
      08-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1Fanatic View Post
There is also a new post on the BMWCCA site from an hour ago by Jonathan Spira, but it only clears up that the Series 5 & 6 won't have the new iDrive in the initial 2009 run... Go here for the post. You'll see I responded trying to gain clarity on the Series 3 as the author implies he knows the real definitive facts based on meetings today.
The post you linked has been updated to provide tacit confirmation of the updated iDrive in E9x models at the start of production. It is a somewhat slender thread, and I shall have to decide in the morning whether to play it safe or to ring up the CA and try to reclaim my week 37 production slot. Thanks for the link!

--LR
      08-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
WDW1Fanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i; Lexus RX400h

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRampant View Post
The post you linked has been updated to provide tacit confirmation of the updated iDrive in E9x models at the start of production. It is a somewhat slender thread, and I shall have to decide in the morning whether to play it safe or to ring up the CA and try to reclaim my week 37 production slot. Thanks for the link!

--LR
Right. It's the best and "most official" news yet IMO, but I'll still be happiest when I see a more complete description of the '09 E93 line-up on the www.bmwusa.com site myself. Now, I'm on to more official confirmation if the STEP here in the US on the E92/93 will be the new 7-speed DCT or not, and to what degree the remaining options not in the price lists earlier this week have any increases. Still a bunch of speculation to clear up. At least the STEP 6 or 7-speed isn't a deal breaker for me like iDrive was going to be. It looks like we've made progress thanks to the BMWCCA folks, and the new dust cover that arrived yesterday anticipating arrival of my E93 may well get some use in the not so distant future vs sitting on a shelf in my garage or being marked up to my jumping the gun and being put up for sale on eBay!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I have a week37 build for my 09 E93. Hoping for the new idrive.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
I hope so
same for m3?
Well the CA knew exactly what i was talking about, he heard the same, but he assured me that ALL 2009 MODELS WILL HAVE UPDATED iDRIVE, im guessing M3 as well.

But to play it safe, I would sacrifice a few weeks to get updated Idrive
      08-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
After JSpira's confirmation that the 3-series will begin production with the updated (CIC-based) iDrive system, I visited my local BMW center and resubmitted my order. Fortunately my original production slot was still available, though curiously, the VIR I received today shows an assigned production week of "35," which according to my calendar is next week.

Another interesting note, and one more relevant to the topic of the thread here--when my CA submitted my order this time, the 653 option (HD Radio) was added. I was about to object, thinking that it had been added erroneously, when the following caught my eye from the documents released this morning by BMW Blog:

It appears that BMW has quietly tossed in the $350 MSRP HD Radio feature as part of the navigation system's unchanged price. It may be that the HD radio tuner is integrated into the CIC-based-iDrive system, and thus it is now a standalone option only if the navigation system isn't installed.

--LR
      08-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

WOW! good catch Lion
      08-24-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
The current order sheet lists the same option code (609) for the navigation system as was used on the 2008 models. Other individual options which underwent changes (aluminum trim, PDC) were assigned new option codes, presumably to reflect the change.

- There is no mention of a pricing change for the navigation system in the recently-released price list. With the significant changes to the iDrive system.
Not really. You see those option code changes because the "old" options are still around. There are several aluminum options in Germany. And there have always been two different PDC options in Germany - we are just swapping which of the two are offered in the US. (Annoyingly, they are not offering the factory backup camera option here.). I don't see the Nav option code not changing being an issue, as the old system isn't offered anymore...

Price not changing isn't an indicator, either. 80gb hard drives cost nothing, and pricing is based on what the market will bear, not manufacturing cost. I love the improvements in iDrive, but frankly they are really playing catch up, not leaping over the competition (that's market perception, at least).

6NF Smartphone Integration is confusing, though. Do they mean October production or October delivery? With BMWUSA you never know. If there is a delay it could simply be waiting for new plastic parts or wiring harnesses. The recent release of the iPhone 2.0 could have delayed this, too...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
runthis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I don't think that BMWNA would send this email out to everyone if ALL of the 2009's where going to have the I-DRIVE...

They would have waited to the first batch came out and then sent the email.

" With a restyled front, side and rear, the new sedan has more sport and more style. Specifically, it features a newly sculpted hood, and a wider track offers better handling. In addition, the optional navigation package includes an all-new iDrive user interface with 3-dimensional mapping, a hard drive for music downloads, and more. In combination with the optional BMW AssistTM Convenience Plan you can even access the power of GoogleTM to find business listings inside the vehicle. And with new interior materials, colors, and surfaces, the inner benefits rival its outer beauty."

2015 F82 M4 - SOLD

2009 E92 335xi - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Not necessarily. Sometimes, marketing and engineering don't talk enough.
      08-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Another interesting note, and one more relevant to the topic of the thread here--when my CA submitted my order this time, the 653 option (HD Radio) was added. I was about to object, thinking that it had been added erroneously, when the following caught my eye from the documents released this morning by BMW Blog:

It appears that BMW has quietly tossed in the $350 MSRP HD Radio feature as part of the navigation system's unchanged price. It may be that the HD radio tuner is integrated into the CIC-based-iDrive system, and thus it is now a standalone option only if the navigation system isn't installed.

--LR
How will the HD radio tuner interface with the Logic-7 option? Do they complement each other? Seems a good change given the cost of the navigation system.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #19
yogi4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Refer this , to disperse any doubts about new iDrive

The thread below has a link to the BMW iDrive instruction Manual

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163438
or this
http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/3LCI.pdf

Refer page 48 in the manual which has the following information

" MY 2009 3 Series
BMW Group
University
July 2008
New 2nd Generation iDrive
• All 3 Series and 1 Series receive a new iDrive
Far more intuitive with great new features
80 GB Hard Drive (12GB for Music Collection)
"
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #20
3er858
First Class Privates
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F10, CW Mk6, 1299S

Quote:
After JSpira's confirmation that the 3-series will begin production with the updated (CIC-based) iDrive system, I visited my local BMW center and resubmitted my order. Fortunately my original production slot was still available, though curiously, the VIR I received today shows an assigned production week of "35," which according to my calendar is next week.

--LR
Same thing happened to me with HD radio automatically being added to Navigation... After talking back and forth to my CA and BMWNA for two days, I was assured that HD radio was a no cost addition to the "new" iDrive. This makes me pretty confident that all '09's will have the new system. I have a week 37 build date....

LTMW | Velgen VBM6| V12's | CKS coilovers | wrapped roof | wrapped mirror caps | wrapped door handles | Gloss Black Grills | M5 rear Lip
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #21
LionRampant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i Sedan  [0.00]
By way of follow-up, here is the response I received back from BMWNA on my questions about the MY 2009 iDrive:

Quote:
August 29, 2008

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding upcoming BMW models. We appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for our vehicles.

We release information regarding all new products on our website, www.bmwusa.com. We include new model images, press releases, and an opportunity to sign-up for new product updates.

The first production run of the 3 Series for the model year 2009, will have the iDrive system and the new navigation that accompanies it. However, at this time it is unknown if the option code will change or remain the same. I would recommend you have a conversation with your client advisor if you had more questions about option codes. Also, the MSRP of the navigation will increase, as all the options will increase for the model year 2009.

We are committed to providing you with the highest level of service. If you have any questions, please contact ...
Likely a foregone conclusion at this point, but there it is.

--LR
      09-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
crazyeyeskilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i xDrive on order ED

Quote:
By way of follow-up, here is the response I received back from BMWNA on my questions about the MY 2009 iDrive:

Likely a foregone conclusion at this point, but there it is.

--LR
Well, that comment on the option price increasing is interesting since the official 2009 E90 pricing that's been posted here doesn't show a change to Navi pricing.
Appreciate 0