E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Steering Angle Sensor Cleaning?

08-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
maf330xi
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

Steering Angle Sensor Cleaning?

Has anyone done the steering angle sensor cleaning at a local shop?

I went to Ivo's today to check out the error codes and I was told that the cleaning would only be temporary, but I would like to give it a shot before spending $$$ on the part.

Also, I live in the Scarborough area, so somewhere close by would be ideal!

Thanks in advance.

Blacklines | 19" Morr VS8.2 | Gloss Black Grilles | PE | M-Tech | KW V1 | Euro Spec Headlights
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

My DSC light and error came up two weeks ago. I got my alignment done and it went away permanently.

This worked for me but I have to say when I was driving the car was off pretty significantly which I guess was enough to throw the code.

If yours isn't working there is a DIY cleaning you can follow. I have never actually removed the steering unit but I have removed everything (airbag, steering wheel, ect) up to that point and it really is not hard if you have the right tools and some DIY know-how.

I purchased a used steering unit column because I was not sure if the alignment was going to fix the code. If you clean the sensor and it still isn't fixed let me know I will sell you my replacement for what I bought it for assuming it will work on your car. I have a 2008 BMW 335i Coupe.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...g+angle+sensor
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Kbimmer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf330xi View Post
Has anyone done the steering angle sensor cleaning at a local shop?

I went to Ivo's today to check out the error codes and I was told that the cleaning would only be temporary, but I would like to give it a shot before spending $$$ on the part.

Also, I live in the Scarborough area, so somewhere close by would be ideal!

Thanks in advance.
Most dealers and shops will not want to perform the cleaning, IMO just because it is easier to change the whole part and they make more money...

The cleaning was a permanent fix for me, so far (it has been a few months already) I've had no problems...

Please check this thread for more info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678057

If you are unsure about doing it yourself (it is not hard, you just have to be really careful to do not break any plastic tabs when opening the cowlings...) shoot me a PM and I'll give you the contact of a mechanic that can do it
'97 328i Black on Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0