E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build Thread - E92 335D

08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #67
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Cheers bud, left it dropped on its ass and only opted to get the alignment done today using the hunter machine and a very well reputed company all thanks to Dips from Custom Cars who really went out of his way. I took it to him early morning over to hounslow as I had to be elsewhere and he took the responsibility of taking my car to his local garage which he uses for this purpose and stayed all the while the car was being down some 2 hours, got everything perfect and then brought it to me! Just a superb bloke all in all and HIGHLY recommended from many others including those on here at E90. He's also a forum Sponsor on EvoTechnik and really does know his stuff inside out.

I can say with confidence that I'll happily got him any day of the week for any body work, customisation etc etc...just because of that trust factor and down to the fact that he's a top bloke, put simple. He's yet to sign up on this forum I believe but I just wanted give credits where due really his work is exceptional from all body work to rims to whatever it is you need doing, just visit custom cars online and give him a shout :-)

I'm a VERY happy chap now that everything is fully aligned and working correctly and even more pleased that I've made a new trusted contact!

Am very much enjoying the drop and the looks from others (had 2 white LCI e92s with black alloys/roofs etc turn their heads left to right as my car drove passed all due to the DROP ) the ride is amazing having adjusted the damping settings and apart from the occasional scrape on my own drive lol, I couldn't be any more happier with the purchase - thoroughly looking forward to Gaydon now!!
      08-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #68
joehk8004
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Hi buddy, i also have BC installed on my 335i few months back. Here is My setting for your reference are: {Front} 9 clicks Start from the SOFT and {REAR} 12 clicks also from the SOFT setting!

To me they are stiff enough now and that change the car character alot, which make a hugh difference specially when doing corners actually!

To adjust the rear suspension they should come with a pair of cables which you can bolt them on top of the rear shock for easy adjustment (but you'll need to drill a hole in the boot to fit them) OR you can take all the rear compartments off to get access to the rear shocks for adjustment everytime when you fancy to reset them again, hope that helps you!

Am using non RFT now after installed the BC and it feels soooo good since
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #69
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

First time I drove at night since lowered and I am REALLY ticked off. Due to the angle of the car (a little nose up due to the rear being lower than the front), I have got flashed by every other car as they thinkive got the headlights on.. EVEN the ones in my flow of direction! WTF!

Really annoyed the hell out of me! I'm lucky I'm not much on the roads at dark but this issue NEEDS to be addressed soon after Gaydon! I knew it was a little too low for me!!

Anyone got any DIY videos or pics of how to adjust:

1. Height ride on BC coils at the rear And;
2. Damping settings for the rear..

Any videos would be very useful :-)

Last edited by AWBimmer; 08-18-2012 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #70
joehk8004
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have any pics or video of the suspension work as i paid my trusted garage to do the job. Actually the rear of my car is 'abit' lower than the front too, the FRONT is at the lowest setting but the rear only about half way down. After the suspension swapped and keep trying to adjusting the best height, i also took it to do 3 times geometery set up to put it right tho (to fulfill my perference) !

So do you have those 'cable' to mount on the rear shock then??
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #71
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

No I don't have those cables sadly! Need to look into those. Well I got wheel alignment done but wonder if I decide to raise my car over the next few weeks or month, would I need to get alignment done again? There were quie a few errors the garage told me which they've fixed but it cost me £90 or so... Hunter machine was used btw. Any ideas where to get those cables?
      08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #72
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Not sure if this applies to your car, but some have small rods attached to the suspension that tell the headlight self levellers the stance of your car and adjust the lights accordingly. Maybe these could have been bent or wrongly re-fitted when your suspension was modified..?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #73
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

To low for my tastes, sorry.

For me, the standard ride height on these cars looks near perfect. Anything lower looks different sure but better? E92 wheel arches are enormous and If the car is too too low this begins to show. If I were to mod my suspension I'd go for better damping, maybe that would mean a coil-over kit but I'd leave the height pretty much where it is.

Maybe I'm jaded by personal experience from my MR2 turbo with Ohlins suspension but too low and stiff is fine on our roads right up until you have to make an emergency manouevre at which point you don't have time to pick out a smooth bit of tarmac in those circumstances a low and stiff setup becomes dangerous. Include those butt clenching moments when you're about to hit a pothole and I don't think it's worth it.

That said the RFTs will be responsible for much of the poor ride, ditch em! I changed mine to Conti SP5s last year and the difference is incredible! The car no longer crashes over bumps, tramlines etc, when cornering at speed I can lean on the outside wheels with far more confidence that before and I no longer feel I need to plan to avoid cats eyes when changing lanes on the motorway

Hope you get it set up just the way you like.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #74
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick one before I head out - just clayed the car and the dirt that came off was remarkable! Rear was filthy as was front but sides weren't bad at all. Bought Meguiars Clay Bar Kit and Autoglym glass cleaner and I have to say the Glass cleaner by Autoglym has been by far the best I've ever used... bloody crystal clear! LOL.
      08-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #75
joehk8004
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
No I don't have those cables sadly! Need to look into those. Well I got wheel alignment done but wonder if I decide to raise my car over the next few weeks or month, would I need to get alignment done again? There were quie a few errors the garage told me which they've fixed but it cost me £90 or so... Hunter machine was used btw. Any ideas where to get those cables?
I guess that you 'may' able to order them through BC racing.co.uk but i brought mine from other company tho..Those cables were came together with the whole suspension system as a package if you know what i mean so i think the best bet is to ring the BC UK to get another pair OR you can try to ask the perious owner whether he still got them somewhere, right?!

Btw ALWAYS have a proper alignment done everytime after you adjusted the height of your car as the whole suspension geometery will be moved and changed!

Hope that helps you and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #76
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got he car raised a little more on each corner today thanks to Dips - feels great especially at the front! Now I don't have to slow right down to 0.5mph over flat roundabouts LOL.

Ordered my Rear Spoiler today aswell online and waiting on a matey for his Aero Lip.. good to go
      08-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #77
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Aero lip at the front will look great!
      08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #78
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Aero lip at the front will look great!
You betcha Carlossss!
      08-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #79
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

which rear spoiler did you go for? and are you getting the aero lip moulded?
      08-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #80
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
which rear spoiler did you go for? and are you getting the aero lip moulded?
Yo! Went for an M3 rear spoiler bro - painted to match as I’m no longer going for the black / silver look. Aiming for a clean classy look! Would have gone for something bigger to give it more an aggressive look like you’rs but CF doesn’t go with silver and getting a bigger one, sanding it down and painting it to match is more hassle and costly + I quite like the M3 lip – sublte and still semi-aggressive 

Will get aero lip moulded when bought – was about to drop the dosh on a guy selling his (whole bumper + lip) on the forum here but when I spoke to Dips last night, he said it’ll cost more in total to get that resprayed etc so I decide to pass on that and just get one from Teddy when he’s back.

After that, probs look at some wheels in a few weeks / months and start collecting bits n bobs for my audio. Dips mentioned he’d call u when we were at HTS yesterday but not sure if it went through.. at least now I’m more clued up on adjusting coilovers myself... to an extent LOL. I
      08-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #81
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

ah nice sounds like its all coming together nicely! yea i spoke to dips sunday and spoke to him about my ICE as im changing it up! i have a few things planned! so like i said i have 2 x W7 boxes for sale...both different sizes so let me know if you choose to go down the dark side that is JL
      08-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #82
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
ah nice sounds like its all coming together nicely! yea i spoke to dips sunday and spoke to him about my ICE as im changing it up! i have a few things planned! so like i said i have 2 x W7 boxes for sale...both different sizes so let me know if you choose to go down the dark side that is JL
cheers bro will surely let you know. How have you flattened the signal i.e. what processor you using? A cache / cleansweep / bit one / ms-8 or something else??

Also, have u changed your underseat subs as well and if so, what to?

Cheers.
      09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #83
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Been bidding on an MS-8 on ebay and finally took the plunge and went for it! Won it needless to say and am VERY chuffed! Now for the rest of the stuff lol

Last edited by AWBimmer; 09-14-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #84
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Yo! Went for an M3 rear spoiler bro - painted to match as I’m no longer going for the black / silver look. Aiming for a clean classy look! Would have gone for something bigger to give it more an aggressive look like you’rs but CF doesn’t go with silver and getting a bigger one, sanding it down and painting it to match is more hassle and costly + I quite like the M3 lip – sublte and still semi-aggressive 

Will get aero lip moulded when bought – was about to drop the dosh on a guy selling his (whole bumper + lip) on the forum here but when I spoke to Dips last night, he said it’ll cost more in total to get that resprayed etc so I decide to pass on that and just get one from Teddy when he’s back.

After that, probs look at some wheels in a few weeks / months and start collecting bits n bobs for my audio. Dips mentioned he’d call u when we were at HTS yesterday but not sure if it went through.. at least now I’m more clued up on adjusting coilovers myself... to an extent LOL. I
Thinking of getting an aero lip on mine. What do you mean when you say the aero lip will be moulded?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #85
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi mate,

Well that I mean is the edges of the aero lip if u see on many pics will not be 'one with the bumper'... It's absolutely fine this way and no harm however if u have another £200-£250 to throw into The mix for getting the edges blended into the bumper then go do it otherwise save your money.
I've decided I'm not going down this road.

Pros of Getting it blended:
Looks / aesthetics
Not many HVE this done

Cons:
Expensive
If u scrape ur bumper at the front with time, youll have to get the entire bumper changed since its been bonded together
Not worth an uplift I £300ish as your entire bumper will need a respray (extra man hours etc)

My say:
Save your dough and put towards something else
      09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #86
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Ouch sounds pricey. Are you getting a pre painted one from ssdd?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #87
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer
Been bidding on an MS-8 on ebay and finally took the plunge and went for it! Won it needless to say and am VERY chuffed! less than 4 months old and for much less than half the RRP.. you know the Audio is "On Le Way" !!... need to be careful spending now hehe.
Nice, congrats!

Have you decided on what speakers you're upgrading along with the ms-8?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #88
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Dan View Post
Ouch sounds pricey. Are you getting a pre painted one from ssdd?
No I'm not on this particular occassion. I will probably go down another route just as funds are tight and I want to see what other routes are possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Nice, congrats!

Have you decided on what speakers you're upgrading along with the ms-8?
Thanks!! Been reading about MS-8 integration and still v confused as to how to get the best from it give Ive got BASE not HK / L7 etc however having read your review I'm glad I went with it. Just after winning the bid for the MS8, I saw 2 Audison Bit One's (albeit 2nd) for about £200-£250 on another forum.... steal!! Would have def gone with that option had I have seen them first but I had a Bit One before so always good try try something different, esp at a very good price! :-)

I've no idea what speakers to buy as I don't want to be spending too much - if I am going to buy components of choice I'd easily spend way over budget.........................Saying that, is there a massive / signifcant SQ difference between the L7 components and Morel Dotech Ovations when paired with MS-8? If not, I think that could be an excellent option for me as I can make some savings from not spending big on components and using the leftovers wisely to invest in the heart and soul of the sound system, the Amp and better Boot sub!

I'm just not sure what power amps / how many channels I'd need :-( I lost touch with all of that after my Peugeot so it's still all a bit new for me.

Plan:
- MS-8 (still can't believe it hehe)
- Centre Chan spk (Not sure which one)
- 2 front doors
- 2 tweeters
- 2 underseats
- 2 Rear Deck speakers
- 1 or 2 boot subs

So any guide on power of amps / which amps / channels etc would go a long way