E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Misfire with Cobb?

12-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
trk411
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 5.0i

Misfire with Cobb?

So, I have been running with Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive for over a week or so and everything has been great. However, last night when I was coming home, I came to a stop and had a rather rough idle. No lights were on the dash, but the car was making a surging sound. Funny thing is, even though it sounded like it was surging, the RPMs were steady. The car sounded like it was going to die. In any event, I came home, shut the car off, restarted, and all was well. I was curious today, so I went down just to see if the AP would pull any codes. Sure enough, I had a misfire from cylinder 4. I drove the car this morning and there were no issues. Not sure if this is Cobb related or not. Any ideas?

For what it's worth, I recall my car doing something similar when I had the JB Stage 1 installed. I never pulled the codes before though. Like I said, with the exception of yesterday, the car has been golden with Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Could be time for some new plugs. Have you had time to do some logs by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
iconfat
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Cobb misfire diagnosis.
N54 specific but the diagnosis procedure is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNK1ySAlSo&sns=em
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
trk411
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
Could be time for some new plugs. Have you had time to do some logs by any chance?
I only have 12,xxx miles on the car, so I doubt it could be plugs. Was going to log today, but it's snowing like hell.

Thanks for the vid. I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Hoody335
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 335i xDrive '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
I only have 12,xxx miles on the car, so I doubt it could be plugs. Was going to log today, but it's snowing like hell.

Thanks for the vid. I'll check it out.
Sometimes mileage isn't a factor in plugs. Wear and tear stimulating from harsh driving can be the cause as well