E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How much EQ correction is considered reasonable?

01-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
SteveEvans
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

How much EQ correction is considered reasonable?

I've been having fun setting up my Match PP 82DSP amp, and getting great results.

I've found a fantastic track for nailing the time delay settings to get the stereo imagery spot on. Adele/19/First Love, 1 min 17 secs in there's a xylophone and with the setup right you can hear crystal clear notes emanating from precise locations floating above the dash.

Anyway, that said, the purpose of this post is to ask if the following amount of correction is considered excessive.

This is the EQ for the front right "base" door speaker. There were notable peaks at 200Hz, 400Hz and 800Hz which require significant cuts. I believe that deep cuts are OK, but this deep?

When these are updated to Focal ES100Ks with the tweeters on channels E & F I rather hope for a flatter response, but it this actually the car rather than the speakers, or could there could be some phase issue at 200Hz and multiples thereof, interacting with the other drivers in the car?

Comments invited!

Steve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

That does not look unreasonable...It seems like I have a nasty 800hz peak in just about every car Ive ever had...

...BUT are you moving the mic around your head to get an average or are you measuring at a very specific point in space? And what do your ears say?

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-16-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
SteveEvans
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Yes, I'm moving the mic around.

I'm using a mic that came with a Denon amplifier for calibration. So it's probable (more than likely!) that the response of this mic is far from ideal. Still good for learning though. Once I complete my speaker upgrades I may invest in a calibrated mic.

Any idea how bad the response of a mic designed for calibration, like the Denon one is likely to be? I guess they can correct for it's inadequacies with a response curve programmed into their kit, but I'd like to think it's not way out of whack.

Steve
Appreciate 0